The last poster wins

TheCalliton

I still don't really understand, but I think I'll just upload it anyway. I don't know why the 300dpi is so important - the criteria should state a minimum pixel dimension, not a dots-per-inch requirement... :confused:

Ah well, nothing I can do about it. Increasing the resolution of the image just makes it blurry, and that would probably be worse to hand in than an under-sized image. Based on an example image I got in the assignment, I'd say I'm probably just under the required size.

EDIT: YESSS!!! New Vegas Enhanced Camera just got released! Ohhh yeahhh.......... yesssss...............

EDIT 2: Victory is mine? It's been over 6 hours...

Edited by billyro

EDIT 2: Victory is mine? It's been over 6 hours...

Not anymore! :devil:

I still don't really understand, but I think I'll just upload it anyway. I don't know why the 300dpi is so important - the criteria should state a minimum pixel dimension, not a dots-per-inch requirement... :confused:

Ah well, nothing I can do about it. Increasing the resolution of the image just makes it blurry, and that would probably be worse to hand in than an under-sized image. Based on an example image I got in the assignment, I'd say I'm probably just under the required size.

DPI is something you set on your printer. Ink-jets and lasers easily meet this requirement, but dot-matrix printers - the ones with the bars that oscillate left and right - tend to be low resolution, outputting less than 300DPI. Places like OfficeMax specify 300DPI as a minimum requirement for printing artwork so quality isn't negatively affected, so it's kind of like a rule of thumb.

In my opinion, the assignment meant PPI, since you are submitting this all digitally; a supplementary set of pixel or inch dimensions would have been ideal. However, I don't know if you were supposed to interpret these dimensions from the example you mentioned.

tldr: You're probably fine since the image was fairly large pixel-wise.

DPI is something you set on your printer. Ink-jets and lasers easily meet this requirement, but dot-matrix printers - the ones with the bars that oscillate left and right - tend to be low resolution, outputting less than 300DPI. Places like OfficeMax specify 300DPI as a minimum requirement for printing artwork so quality isn't negatively affected, so it's kind of like a rule of thumb.

In my opinion, the assignment meant PPI, since you are submitting this all digitally; a supplementary set of pixel or inch dimensions would have been ideal. However, I don't know if you were supposed to interpret these dimensions from the example you mentioned.

tldr: You're probably fine since the image was fairly large pixel-wise.

Alright, thank you. :smile:

That just leaves one more image, and then I'm done with this assignment. :dance:

Edited by billyro

I just found my new reference for sword designs. These swords are just... perfect. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/17250/?

I'm going to download that when I get home and see just how this was accomplished, because that's the quality I strive to create.

When you're creating something it also helps to have a strong point of reference. In Victory, you make your own race cars. Despite my experience and huge knowledge base, my first few cars were really unsuccessful. I was able to correct this by studying actual historic racing cars, and now mine are some of the most dominant designs in that game-I'm in the world top 50.

Good luck with that, what you've been so far has already been impressive.

I just found my new reference for sword designs. These swords are just... perfect. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/17250/?

I'm going to download that when I get home and see just how this was accomplished, because that's the quality I strive to create.

When you're creating something it also helps to have a strong point of reference. In Victory, you make your own race cars. Despite my experience and huge knowledge base, my first few cars were really unsuccessful. I was able to correct this by studying actual historic racing cars, and now mine are some of the most dominant designs in that game-I'm in the world top 50.

Good luck with that, what you've been so far has already been impressive.

Thanks, Vindekarr. :smile:

I have about 5 really nice images stored which I frequently reference for shape and colour - they have helped me improve immensely.

I've been obsessive about medieval weaponry since I was a kid, and pretty much every school book from about grade 4 onwards have been practically decorated with random swords I've drawn. I think I've got sword proportions pretty good (except for the grip length... I always make it too long for some reason) so I just draw up a little design before modelling and texturing them.

I'd upload a photo of one of my drawing pages with about 25 swords drawn on it, but I can't find it and I don't have a camera at the moment. :pinch:

Edited by billyro