The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Yep, it's Visceral alright. They're a subsidiary of EA though, so I'm still blaming them too. :tongue:

Ah, I wasn't sure whether Visceral was actually part of EA or not.

All this talk of computers... Someday... SOMEDAY, I will finally actually get a computer that is meant to run games. :laugh:

Heh, Dead space 2 is € 19,98 via Steam but only € 9,99 via Origin.

Dead space 3 is also € 9,99 via Origin, not available via steam.

Anyone played either of them? Are they worth it?

Edit: More Dead Space annoyance: In-game V-sync limits fps to 30. Disabled in-game V-sync and forced it via Nvidia Inspector instead. Also forced triple buffering on as most seemed to recommend it.

Edited by BlackRampage

...Not really planning on doing any serious overclocking anyway...

That poor, poor Extreme Edition processor, it's fate makes me wanna cry... http://www.italiahummerclub.com/forum/images/smilies/emoticon_cry.gif

Heh, Dead space 2 is € 19,98 via Steam but only € 9,99 via Origin.

Dead space 3 is also € 9,99 via Origin, not available via steam.

Anyone played either of them? Are they worth it?

Edit: More Dead Space annoyance: In-game V-sync limits fps to 30. Disabled in-game V-sync and forced it via Nvidia Inspector instead. Also forced triple buffering on as most seemed to recommend it.

I liked both of them, though I know some people didn't like Dead Space 2 because they thought the environments aren't as devastated or dark as the first (that's also why some people liked it, and I think most people do like it). It's an improvement over the original in my opinion, not necessarily the whole environment thing, but the game overall is better. People thought the third was too action-y and having some human enemies or something like that. All three were good in my opinion. The third does have some spots with a lot of enemies compared to the previous two, but it makes sense story-wise. And the story in the third is good, it might be my favorite of the three. It adds some new stuff, like some kind of scavenging thing to upgrade your guns, which isn't bad but I don't really think it was necessary.

That said, I don't know what issues they have on the PC because I played all three on a console.

Edited by K00L

All this talk of computers... Someday... SOMEDAY, I will finally actually get a computer that is meant to run games. :laugh:

Hey, I built my machine so I can tweak it, not to run games on it, but it does run them. And it comes in very handy for 3D modeling, rendering a high-poly model in a 2560x1600 scene on eight cores finishes in 0.4 seconds. :happy:

By the way, anyone have any real-time strategy games to recommend? The ones I have are getting old, need something fresh. :smile:

Edited by Werne

That said, I don't know what issues they have on the PC because I played all three on a console.

Ironically, the fact that there are console versions is likely also the reason why the game has those problems. Most console ports come with these kinds of problems.

And coincidentally, all consoles cap FPS at 30.

...Not really planning on doing any serious overclocking anyway...

That poor, poor Extreme Edition processor, it's fate makes me wanna cry... http://www.italiahummerclub.com/forum/images/smilies/emoticon_cry.gif

Sue me! :tongue:

Seriously though, I know what you mean, but at the same time a 3930K is a rather expensive piece of hardware. Besides, I really don't have the required advanced knowlegde and skill to do any serious overclocking, let alone enough time.

By the way, anyone have any real-time strategy games to recommend? The ones I have are getting old, need something fresh. :smile:

Starcraft 2, Men Of War, Sins Of A Solar Empire, Supreme Commander, RUSE, Company Of Heroes.

And some less combat-focused ones are the ANNO series, Tropico 3/4, Cities XL, The Guild 2 (these are more like city builders but strategy nonetheless)

Edited by Iv000

Hey, I built my machine so I can tweak it, not to run games on it, but it does run them. And it comes in very handy for 3D modeling, rendering a high-poly model in a 2560x1600 scene on eight cores finishes in 0.4 seconds. :happy:

Well no computer I have had is really meant for anything besides using Office. :laugh:

I'm not very good with the whole tweaking thing. I can't move my butt like that. :tongue:

Being serious though, I don't think I'm interested enough in computers to do stuff like that. I do like GIMP though, and someday (kind of like the someday I said earlier) I'll actually sit down and finally try to make something specific (other than a creepy orange with human lips and muscular arms) in Blender (the orange might have been Maya since that's what my brother used for school), but every time I do that I have to go do something or go completely off track.

I agree with some of the games Iv000 posted, I haven't played Men of War, but Faces of War is pretty awesome if you haven't played that.

Edited by K00L

http://i.imgur.com/wZ3RLAv.gif

this gif has truths written all over it, hopefully

Also i get around 89.98fps in cinabench in opengl.

Whut? DId you swap that GTX 780 for a 500 series or something? My GTX 670 got 137.07 fps in Cinebench. Didn't even overclock the thing.

Hell, even my 7770 gets 89.86FPS in Cinebench OpenGL. Guess Thor's "single fastest video card on the market" ain't that far ahead of my low-end Radeon after all. :laugh:

Nah, don't have it at 4.2 Ghz atm. Currently running at 4.0 Ghz. (ram at 2166 CL9 timings) Don't really have a good cpu cooler at the moment. Gonna ask for one of those "Be Quiet" cpu coolers for my birthday. (probably the Dark Rock Pro 2)

Have you considered Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme? That thing is a monster, huge and expensive but cools even the hottest of CPUs like a boss. Or a custom water loop, been thinking of making one for myself but I ain't got the time or money so it's still just a thought.

For got to mention, when it comes to Cinebench frequency, it's sometimes off. When I benched my CPU at 4.8GHz it said it's still at 3.5GHz while the score was way ahead of that. :laugh:

@Iv000 Budget?

Try that with maxed out csaa and supersampling, then come back to and we will talk.

:dance:

With physx enabled maxed out wit all the bells and whistles.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2aihppf.jpg

Opengl is a good benchmark but games is better. Also depends on what opengl version you are using. I dount that radeon card of yours couldn't reach 4 or even 20fps in metro. .

Edited by Thor.