The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Heh, yeah, I saw that on April Fools day. That mod is very immersive and brings back the joyous feeling of finding callipers in Oblivion. :dance:

Anyway, today I tried my hand at modding Fallout for the first time. I just did a simple replacer of the Chinese Officer Sword (it is now a Chinese Dao).

http://puu.sh/7Zou5.jpg

I think I need to edit the normal maps or the glow maps or something, because it's a lot shinier than I intended...

I was trying out Space Engineers, which I got on special today. Short version, it's just brilliant.

Long version

It has the best destruction engine I have literally ever seen: metal panels bend and warp when damaged, large objects can split apart, and anything not gyro-stabilised goes slowing spinning away when struck.

This all makes for possibly the most visceral, impactful space-combat in gaming history: a missile hit doesn't trigger a pre-canned destruction animation, it puts a big 3-D dent in the injured ship, land a few more and you can tear a hole in it. Ships aren't destroyed by running them out of health, rather they get dented and lose bits as they're fired upon. "Destruction" instead reffer to losing most of your thrusters, losing Main Power, or getting an important structural junction blown off.

Fights between Capital Ships are truly epic battles between gods. Building a cap can take several hours(block by block) and because all their vital organs are mounted deep inside behind several layers of Armour Block(often Heavy) the battles take on a much slower pace. Only the loss of a thruster, gyroscope or generator can be considered a wound, and killing one can take a long time unless it's got a convenient load-bearing member you can snipe. Destroying them is truly satisfying: they don't explode all at once, but rather come apart in a graceful shower of Physics objects.

I would totally recommend it to anyone who enjoyed playing Lego as a kid, or who likes big multiplayer starship fights with a little First-Person shooter action thrown in. It's only $11 right now, and you get an amazing sandbox for that price.

I tried it the other day since it was on my brother's list of games. I wish I could run it, but I can't on this laptop. I agree though, it was really fun and the destruction is fantastic (even as a slideshow :tongue: ). I just drove my ships into each other to watch things break. :laugh:

I've got a test in 8 hours. It takes me an hour and a half to drive to Cairns. It takes me half an hour to get ready in the morning. I've been trying to sleep for 3 hours, and I can't. I am still wide awake, and even if I managed to go to sleep right this second, I'd only get 6 hours of sleep before I had to get ready. I doubt I'll be able to sleep for at least another hour. That leaves me with 5 hours of sleep, and an important test in the morning. Also, the drive to Cairns is long and boring, and the chance of me falling asleep at the wheel is high given the circumstances. The university will not allow me to defer the test. If I don't take the test, I instantly fail the subject.

In short, university sucks and I f***ing hate the drive to Cairns.

Yep, I'm working on about two hours of sleep right now after being a bit on the sick side. Seriously, in high school I'd be overjoyed to skip school when I had a very slight fever. Now I don't let anything short of smallpox stop me going to class..

Speaking of physics engines, sometimes terrible physics engines can be fun too. Been having fun with Bridge Constructor since I picked it up in the recent Humble Bundle.

The only thing "wrong" with Space Engineers, is just how much engineering is actually involved. You've got to think with your brain, or the consequences can be horrible and take you completely by surprise. You need Reactors to power a ship: on paper a single Small Reactor produces enough power for a Small ship, but that's like saying a Turbocharged Four-Cylinder engine can produce 1500 horsepower. Both are true... ...on paper. In reality doing either involves pushing engineering-and the powerplant itself, to the very limit.

The problem in both cases is an excess of heat. Both work on the same principle: fuel is ignited, thus generating thermal energy. The reactor uses the thermal energy directly, the engine converts the thermal energy into kinetic force. The problem is, to create the energy required means you have to make this process very efficient: you need the absolute maximum amount of heat possible.

In the case of a Petrol Engine, that can be disastrous. A 1.5 litre four-cylinder, 1500 horsepower engine was created during the 1980s: it produced so much excess heat that all it's steel components melted into liquid in a matter of seconds. The heat shrieking out the exhaust pipe was equivalent to Jet-Wash. In the case of the reactor, it creates renegade Fusion; essentially the Fusion process accelerates to the point that it breaches containment and explodes the engine.

The game actually simulates that. Reactors heat up as they're used, and you've got to micro-manage you available power carefully as the results of an overheat are often catastrophic, and the game provides no warning beyond it's basic instruments. You have to watch the power flow readout carefully, and calculate core temperature based on that. Someone tried to kill me today and ended up dying, simply because she got pre-occupied and Redlined her reactor-cluster, with spectacularly pyrotechnic results.

This is the engine I was using as an example, the BMW M12. BMW never actually managed to get the heat-bloom under control, and instead replaced all the Steel components with Inconel, a synthetic alloy with tremendous heat resistance. Even still, the M12 produces so much heat at it's Redline(14,000 RPM) that the pure Inconel exhaust pipes turn translucent, at a temperature of around 2200 degrees celcius. That's hot enough to burn the flesh from your bones in a matter of moments. It's a confluence of three of my favourite things: Cars, cutting-edge science, and frying bacon.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17ih41h8vr4j6jpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

I found the end in minecraft and built a nice self sustaining base around it and mob xp spawner, now on wards to platinum trophy

Also need sleep again.

add me as scott60gbuser psn, if you haven't found it in survival mode yet.

Edited by Thor.