The last poster wins

TheCalliton

it looks lie the r295x is doomed to microstuttering, sense its stuck in crossfire mode.

And amd did admit there was a problem.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/177668-turbo-trouble-amds-dual-graphics-is-bugged-introduces-game-breaking-frame-stutter

Do you even read what you post? Dual-graphics is APU + GPU, not GPU + GPU. It's a crossfire between an integrated graphics core on APUs and a dedicated graphics card. It has absolutely nothing to do with crossfire between two graphics cards. Do you just read the titles and assume the article is about something, or do you actually read the whole article?

AMD solved micro-stutter on the dual-GPU flagship and their entire R7/R9 lineup. And speaking of R9 295X2, that thing practically obliterates everything nVidia throws at it at 4K...

http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/V/430483/original/arma-3-fr-4k.png

http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/C/430464/original/bf4-fr-4k.png

http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/H/430469/original/grid-2-fr-4k.png

http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/P/430477/original/thief-fr-4k.png

http://media.bestofmicro.com/5/S/430480/original/tomb-raider-fr-4k.png

Still lacks in lower resolutions where nVidia SLI beats it by a small margin but hell, it bests nVidia's finest by roughly 15% performance-wise at 4K and in multi-monitor configurations, uses less power than any of the cards in those benchmarks, stays cooler than any of those as well despite being clocked higher than regular 290X cores, and costs pretty much the same as two GTX 780 Ti reference cards. A big bonus for guys like me too - high-binned GPUs, those ought to overclock like mad. :D

It's a win for AMD, they now hold the absolute top performance on enthusiast-class, and the prices of R9 series has been dropping like crazy since the mining craze stopped. You can now get a used R9 290s for $300, sometimes even cheaper, used ones are under $500 even in Croatia. :smile:

In other news, had some time today while watching over Mini Me so I modded my graphics card's BIOS, raised the TDP limit from 88 to 99W which effectively stopped my graphics driver from committing seppuku every time the card crosses 88W. Also modified the VRAM frequency limitations for more memory OC headroom. That got me from my maximum stable overclock of 1065MHz on the core and 1250MHz on the memory to 1085MHz on the core and 1550MHz on the memory without breaking the TDP.

That's an 8.5% overclock on the GPU and 38% overclock on VRAM, enough to boost my Unigine Valley score from 23.6FPS and 988 points to 26.6FPS and 1114 points. :dance:

Whenever they talk anything about dual graphics it reminds me of the horrors i had with the 7950's, and then laugh. If you ever wen't crossfire you would soon understand what i mean microstuttering.

Also its pretty sad when amd comes out with newer cards, yet still have trouble beating a gtx780ti single gpu in performance, I'm hoping one day they can one up Nvidia truly, instead of this dual graphics nonsense that need water cooling to keep it cool. Come on amd you can do better then Nvidia.

maxwell scares AMD.

Edited by Thor.

By the way guys, seems like AMD included some Raptr "Gaming Evolved" program with their driver, popped up after I updated my beta driver. Looks like a pretty good program to me, registered on the Raptr site, got some reward points when playing FO3 and I can buy stuff like games with those points. There's plenty of ways to get those points but they all suck, playing games is the only good way. There's even contests, one is to win a Sapphire R9 270X and others are for getting a few free games. All in all, it's an interesting concept.

The games there don't interest me one bit though, I'll save up on the points and maybe get something once there's a better selection of stuff.

Yeah, Raptr is pretty cool. I used to have it installed but I haven't messed with it in forever. I don't remember this points thing though, so maybe I'll have to reinstall it.

Speaking of points things, I've been using Bing, which I really don't like compared to Google which just seems cleaner and nicer and stuff, but anyway it's got that Rewards deal which I had forgotten about so I set it to my default search engine. Google is still one of my homepages because generally I like it better, but every so often I'll use Bing just in hopes that someday maybe I'll get something nice from it.

Edited by K00L

Whenever they talk anything about dual graphics it reminds me of the horrors i had with the 7950's, and then laugh. If you ever wen't crossfire you would soon understand what i mean microstuttering.

I had crossfire and my frame times were actually better in crossfire. So no, I don't understand what you mean. And again, dual-graphics is APU + GPU, crossfire is GPU + GPU, not the other way around.

Also its pretty sad when amd comes out with newer cards, yet still have trouble beating a gtx780ti single gpu in performance, I'm hoping one day they can one up Nvidia truly, instead of this dual graphics nonsense that need water cooling to keep it cool. Come on amd you can do better then Nvidia.

maxwell scares AMD.

AMD is ready for something nVidia isn't - 4K gaming. Hawaii is a marvel of technology from several standpoints. First is that the die density (transistors per mm2) is near-equal to nVidia's Maxwell architecture, it's much smaller than GK110 while spitting out the same level of performance. Second is a wider bus allowing for much larger bandwidth, which in turn allows for much larger resolutions compared to nVidia cards, R9 290X is up to 15% faster than even Titan Black (which is faster than your 780 Ti) when it comes to multi-monitor and 4K setups.

And the Hawaii boards are cooled very well now that actual thermal solutions are used on them. The initial aftermarket cooling solutions were just transplanted from 7970 and GTX 780 where the coolers themselves were designed to cool a much larger die. Put simply, the coolers couldn't handle the same TDP on an IHS that only touches 1/3 the GPU cooler block, but current cooling does a great job since R9 290/290X stay at around 75-80C under full load, even better depending on the card.

And while it may be true that AMD is afraid of Maxwell, I'm definitely sure nVidia is afraid of Hawaii. Hawaii is a GPU that has 1/3 the size and manufacturing costs of their GK110, built on a 28nm process and packing near-equal power and transistor count of a 780 Ti. The only other card equal to that ratio is the GM110, aka Maxwell. If the Hawaii were to have the same die size of a GK110, your 780 Ti would look like a low-end HTPC card next to it. And once 20nm dies come, I'd say AMD won't slack behind Maxwell.

To summarize - know what you're talking about. AMD competes with nVidia, and from what I can see, it's not losing at all, 290X is 5-10% slower than 780 Ti on 1080p and 15% faster on 4K and up. Seeing as how your framerates are 150FPS with a 780 Ti, would you be able to see a difference between 150FPS and 135FPS? No? Didn't think so. And your CPU is holding you back anyway, you likely don't even use 75% of the card in most cases.

Anyway, people won't play on 1080p forever, and a lot (most?) of those who have 4K screens right now are running Hawaii cards, so when the transition to higher resolutions begins AMD will be in a better position.

Yeah, Raptr is pretty cool. I used to have it installed but I haven't messed with it in forever. I don't remember this points thing though, so maybe I'll have to reinstall it.

Well, it has slow UI and it uses a bit too much memory (just like Windows when I think about it), but it's pretty good otherwise. Even has some "optimize game for hardware" stuff which I don't use, I optimize games manually. Overall, not bad at all.

Speaking of points things, I've been using Bing, which I really don't like compared to Google which just seems cleaner and nicer and stuff, but anyway it's got that Rewards deal which I had forgotten about so I set it to my default search engine. Google is still one of my homepages because generally I like it better, but every so often I'll use Bing just in hopes that someday maybe I'll get something nice from it.

Bing sucks, no amount of rewards will make me use that stuff. Besides, it's made by Microsoft, and I don't trust Microsoft at all. I also don't trust Google either.

That's why I use DuckDuckGo, mostly because I like ducks but the above are valid reasons as well. :smile:

Well, it has slow UI and it uses a bit too much memory (just like Windows when I think about it), but it's pretty good otherwise. Even has some "optimize game for hardware" stuff which I don't use, I optimize games manually. Overall, not bad at all.

Bing sucks, no amount of rewards will make me use that stuff. Besides, it's made by Microsoft, and I don't trust Microsoft at all. I also don't trust Google either.

That's why I use DuckDuckGo, mostly because I like ducks but the above are valid reasons as well. :smile:

Yeah I think I'll stick to the website if I use it much. The last time I used Raptr I got into an argument with a guy (twice) who kept commenting on someone asking if a DLC for Mass Effect 3 was worth the $10. He hadn't even tried it but said it wasn't worth it. After that I argued with him because he was saying something about how that DLC broke lore.

I agree about Bing on both points, but I already had an account so I thought I'd give it a shot, which isn't really going well since I end up just searching with Google anyway. I use Gmail so that's another reason I generally use Google.

Ducks are a very valid reason to use a search engine. :tongue:

Raptr is great, just heaving it on and logged in the background and it collects points while you play and do things. You can get into sweepstakes and you can get discounts and even free games. It's a cute little thing, but really otherwise I don't use it.

Also, I backed this http://kotaku.com/armello-is-one-of-the-prettiest-and-most-interesting-1561036973 it's sexy

Also #2, Bing is good. It's not Google, but it's good. Cortana (Windows Phone 8.1 new personal assistant) is powered by Bing and it looks quite good, Siri is powered by Bing too. Bing is good, very good in fact. I'm sticking to Google on my desktop and as my default search engine, but when some things have Bing integration then sure why not.

I like Microsoft and I like Google and I like Open Source stuff. But I dont like Apple, f*#@ Apple.

Yeah I think I'll stick to the website if I use it much. The last time I used Raptr I got into an argument with a guy (twice) who kept commenting on someone asking if a DLC for Mass Effect 3 was worth the $10. He hadn't even tried it but said it wasn't worth it. After that I argued with him because he was saying something about how that DLC broke lore.

Well, that guy is interesting, and can see things he hasn't seen before. By the way, which DLC?

I agree about Bing on both points, but I already had an account so I thought I'd give it a shot, which isn't really going well since I end up just searching with Google anyway. I use Gmail so that's another reason I generally use Google.

Meh, I use Icedove (Debian's re-branded Mozilla Thunderbird) for GMail and DuckDuckGo for browsing. Google does make free stuff but I generally don't like them, their business strategy is a bit too aggressive for me and they don't seem to be that trustworthy.

Ducks are a very valid reason to use a search engine. :tongue:

Indeed they are. :smile:

Bing is good. It's not Google, but it's good. Cortana (Windows Phone 8.1 new personal assistant) is powered by Bing and it looks quite good, Siri is powered by Bing too. Bing is good, very good in fact. I'm sticking to Google on my desktop and as my default search engine, but when some things have Bing integration then sure why not.

Not using Windows 8/8.1 or any of that Windows-powered stuff, especially not going to use their phones so I don't know about Cortana. Even considering getting rid of Win7 since latest AMD beta drives perform equally on Linux and Windows, no Bing integration anywhere.

And who the hell is Siri?

But I dont like Apple, f*** Apple.

Aye, now that's something all of us can agree with. :D

I had crossfire and my frame times were actually better in crossfire. So no, I don't understand what you mean. And again, dual-graphics is APU + GPU, crossfire is GPU + GPU, not the other way around.

maxwell scares AMD.

AMD is ready for something nVidia isn't - 4K gaming. Hawaii is a marvel of technology from several standpoints. First is that the die density (transistors per mm2) is near-equal to nVidia's Maxwell architecture, it's much smaller than GK110 while spitting out the same level of performance. Second is a wider bus allowing for much larger bandwidth, which in turn allows for much larger resolutions compared to nVidia cards, R9 290X is up to 15% faster than even Titan Black (which is faster than your 780 Ti) when it comes to multi-monitor and 4K setups.

And the Hawaii boards are cooled very well now that actual thermal solutions are used on them. The initial aftermarket cooling solutions were just transplanted from 7970 and GTX 780 where the coolers themselves were designed to cool a much larger die. Put simply, the coolers couldn't handle the same TDP on an IHS that only touches 1/3 the GPU cooler block, but current cooling does a great job since R9 290/290X stay at around 75-80C under full load, even better depending on the card.

And while it may be true that AMD is afraid of Maxwell, I'm definitely sure nVidia is afraid of Hawaii. Hawaii is a GPU that has 1/3 the size and manufacturing costs of their GK110, built on a 28nm process and packing near-equal power and transistor count of a 780 Ti. The only other card equal to that ratio is the GM110, aka Maxwell. If the Hawaii were to have the same die size of a GK110, your 780 Ti would look like a low-end HTPC card next to it. And once 20nm dies come, I'd say AMD won't slack behind Maxwell.

To summarize - know what you're talking about. AMD competes with nVidia, and from what I can see, it's not losing at all, 290X is 5-10% slower than 780 Ti on 1080p and 15% faster on 4K and up. Seeing as how your framerates are 150FPS with a 780 Ti, would you be able to see a difference between 150FPS and 135FPS? No? Didn't think so. And your CPU is holding you back anyway, you likely don't even use 75% of the card in most cases.

Anyway, people won't play on 1080p forever, and a lot (most?) of those who have 4K screens right now are running Hawaii cards, so when the transition to higher resolutions begins AMD will be in a better position.

Still no excuse for the heat it produces, at 4k after an hour without water cooling with standard fans i could see it explode.

Edited by Thor.

Or, "The guy next to me did it." :tongue:

EDIT: Ok, so it's submission day for one of my assignments. I'm sitting here at uni and staring at all the other people's Photoshop images... and far out, some of them are so artistic. It's a little bit daunting that these people have made these inspiring images... while mine is just quite bland (it's good quality, but it's bland).

I guess I'm just not a really artistic person. I prefer simple, direct, practical things and seem to lack the capacity for intricacies and thought-provoking imagery. Meh, at least I'll pass. Also, texturing is better than photo manipulation anyway, and is much more beneficial for my chosen course. :rolleyes:

'Nother EDIT: Lol, that curved swords mod made it to the front page on the Oblivion Nexus. I wasn't expecting that. :P

Edited by billyro