The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Why the hell is it snowing? It's supposed to be spring now! :facepalm:

Why the hell is it snowing? It's supposed to be spring now! :facepalm:

If you want to trade weather with me, you're welcome to. In Melbourne it's been raining steadily all week, and getting colder with each passing day. The only predictable thing about Melbourne's climate, is that when a seasonal change occurs, it will be sudden and violent. Summer-Autumn was like flipping a switch this year, we went from warm, hazy summer days in the 70-80 degree range to 40-50 in a matter of days, with near-constant cloud and gusty wind.

I'm not complaining though, autumn's the nicest season in Victory. Cool days around the high 40 degree mark, regular rain. The trees are starting to change, too. Australian parks and forests are mixtures of native and foreign trees, which turn into an odd patchwork in autumn. Most native trees have dark gunmetal grey leaves and white trunks, and they don't shed leaves for autumn. They really make the Maples and Aspens in the park stand out; a few spots of brilliant gold in a pool of dark charcoal.

If you want exciting weather, just come over to north Queensland (we get plenty). :tongue:

Anyway, that cyclone is now gone and the weather has cleared up, so that's all good. There are still a lot of power lines down but they're slowly getting fixed (slowly, slowly). My Dad's place won't have power until Thursday, but Mum's power came on today yesterday (haven't slept yet) so yay!

All in all, it was estimated that the cyclone did a few million dollars worth of damage (I heard one account that it was even over a billion, but I didn't pay that account much attention). And I must say that for all the familiarity I have with this place, it looks so much different. All the cane fields are flattened, lots of trees fallen over, paddocks flooded, streets empty...

And the worst part? I slept through it all, so I didn't even get to see any of it happen. :sad: That's the best part about Cyclones - watching all your familiar countryside get ravaged by the awesome forces of nature.

But, do you know what I find really strange? I haven't had any power for 3 days (no computer, no TV, not even lights), and we've been using candles and eskies and other less convenient ways of living... and now that the power is back on, I don't really feel any need to use it. Even today (and yesterday - I haven't slept yet), I've just been reading a book I scrounged up, perfectly content using the sunlight and listening to the sounds of the cicadas and crickets outside. No urge to check these forums. No urge to play Oblivion or Fallout or watch videos of Youtube. I am simply... content without it.

Also, I'd like to mention that I'm sarcastic. You cannot believe how relived I am that the power is back! :laugh: You never realise how important things like lights are until you have none. Also, the air conditioner is freaking fantastic.

Oh well, the good thing is that everything is slowly sorting itself out. I notice that this thread hasn't received much conversation recently (although there is the ever-present argument regarding specs) but maybe this expansive post will generate some kind of off-hand conversation, at least for a little while.

Huh, reading that book has given me a taste for words, it seems.

-snip-

Yeah, no thanks (to both of you). :tongue:

That's kind of what happened here, it's been raining for most of the week and then yesterday we had a big storm with hail. Today I woke up to snow, earlier it was too warm to stick around, but now it's cooled down quite a bit (of course it's warming up again so it's melting now). I suppose I should be glad there hasn't been a tornado (near me at least), we've certainly had the temperatures and weather for it.

-snip-

Oh, not fun. Glad everything's okay for you though. :tongue:

My dad was still in Oklahoma three years ago when Joplin was hit with EF5 tornado. I think they estimated the damages to be around $3 billion (or close to it). I went through Joplin when I would go to Oklahoma, and even a ways outside of the hardest hit area there were metal signs twisted around trees, doors and hoods of cars up in the highest branches (what was left of them) of trees, and pieces of buildings everywhere.

I had an aerial picture but I accidentally copied something else, and I have to go pick up my little brother so maybe I'll come back and finish my reply later. :laugh:

If one day you don't hear from me, for a weeks time or something like that, its because we moved and well, when it comes to moving, you have to consider your options, like internet and you know. Well for me i have dibs on provider, so i am getting me a 35mbit connection and 4mbit upload, unlimited sooon!!!, So happy, finally getting rid of bell.

Cable this time, not dsl. Never go dsl, its more trouble then its worth.

Edited by Thor.

unlimited sooon!!!

Thor downloading via DSL:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/i9aPta_LajU/hqdefault.jpg

Thor downloading via Cable:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KcDkN-nnkNw/Ut6a6sy4rUI/AAAAAAAABl0/i12hgUig28A/s1600/Unlimited+Power.png

Thor gaming with his old 7950's graphics cards:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/i9aPta_LajU/hqdefault.jpg

Thor gaming with his GTX 780 TI graphics card:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KcDkN-nnkNw/Ut6a6sy4rUI/AAAAAAAABl0/i12hgUig28A/s1600/Unlimited+Power.png

Lol! :laugh:

I actually imagine Thor like this when he's talking about his stuff...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

(No offence, Thor.)

Anyway, I tried using a different method of normal mapping today and I quite like the results. I think I'll keep doing it this way...

http://puu.sh/89vXo.jpg

MUA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA cough errm, Where was i oh ya, MUA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, takes deep breath, MUA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Edited by Thor.

Very nice, although the thing that really draws my eye are actually the textures. Looks great, really great.

I've got one of those days tomorrow that actually has me interested in going to work. We'll be working on a Cosworth DFV race-car engine, which will be a lot of fun. The DFV was literally the most successful race engine of all time, and it's still a strong choice over fifty years after it was introduced-a fifty year old Formula 1 engine is still a Formula 1 engine. We assembled it this morning, which only took three hours. Tomorrow we're testing it, and then on Thursday we're mounting it in the car.

It's been a joy to work with, if I'm honest. It's a beautiful design; it was deliberately made as simple as possible, in order to make it modular. As a result a skilled team could field-strip it in about an hour, and you could mount them in nearly anything.

Edited by Vindekarr

Makes you wonder if Vindekarr ever gets the chance to drive any cars he fixes or even builds. :teehee:

Edited by Thor.