The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Avoid Assetto Corsa unless you have a steering wheel. It just isn't worth playing without one. The same thing goes for Project CARS and Next Car Game, don't bother unless you have a wheel.

Assetto Corsa's gamepad controls are still pretty abysmal. If you remember Need For Speed: Shift, it feels a bit like that. Which is to say clunky, ungainly, and borderline uncontrollable.

Ironically it absolutely comes alive with a steering wheel controller. The wheel controls are possibly the best I've ever seen, certainly the best since GT Legends. Assetto Corsa with a wheel is a truly visceral experience; the force-feedback is absolutely perfect, and every single car feels completely unique and distinctive.

The difference between wheel and gamepad controls is so great, that I would not even bother playing with a wheel.

If you do want to get a wheel, grab a Logitech G27. They're really cheap on Ebay and make an enormous difference in any driving game.

Damn, stupid UPlay crashes Far Cry 3 every time it fails to connect to the server, I hate the bloody thing. Still, the game is great when it works.

And today I spent two hours hunting Tapirs with an RPG. It's a rather expensive activity, but surprisingly relaxing. :smile:

Next Car Game: Still awesome. I started playing it in manual instead of automatic. Way more fun. I can get some actual control on the turns by going down two gears at speed. I'm certain that would destroy a regular transmission pretty fast.

Next Car Game: Still awesome. I started playing it in manual instead of automatic. Way more fun. I can get some actual control on the turns by going down two gears at speed. I'm certain that would destroy a regular transmission pretty fast.

With a car of that era you're more likely to over-rev and destroy the engine. Downshifting like that puts a lot of strain on the engine head, particularly the valves. On engines from the '70s and '80s that's quite a vulnerable area, even on a professional race car.

Myth states that "steel-era" cars are far stronger than modern vehicles, which isn't actually true. I'd much rather drive a post '95 car in a derby than pre, purely because plastic imports are so structurally strong. The bumpers might fly off in a mild breeze, but the actual chassis and vitals of a modern car are extremely strong.

Edited by Vindekarr

Well, UPlay decided to download something which appeared to be an update of some kind, and now my FC3 saves are gone, not a single trace of them left. :sad:

I hate Ubisoft.

Avoid Assetto Corsa unless you have a steering wheel. It just isn't worth playing without one. The same thing goes for Project CARS and Next Car Game, don't bother unless you have a wheel.

Assetto Corsa's gamepad controls are still pretty abysmal. If you remember Need For Speed: Shift, it feels a bit like that. Which is to say clunky, ungainly, and borderline uncontrollable.

Ironically it absolutely comes alive with a steering wheel controller. The wheel controls are possibly the best I've ever seen, certainly the best since GT Legends. Assetto Corsa with a wheel is a truly visceral experience; the force-feedback is absolutely perfect, and every single car feels completely unique and distinctive.

The difference between wheel and gamepad controls is so great, that I would not even bother playing with a wheel.

If you do want to get a wheel, grab a Logitech G27. They're really cheap on Ebay and make an enormous difference in any driving game.

Project cars is coming to the ps4 and xbone 1, so its going to have 360 support, and the wii u. So that argument is false.

Edited by Thor.

He said that the games are better with a wheel, not that they require it.

Also, Bound by Flame is officially releasing on Steam in 40 hours from now. :dance:

I kinda wish I could start downloading it, though.

Edited by billyro

ya the wheel is recommended, but in most cases after playing gt5, i found controller to have some benefits, if you where good enough, you could out perform a wheel driver. I've seen it done before.

Edited by Thor.

GT5 is an arcade racer, you wouldn't be able to out-drive a wheel user in Assetto Corsa, Project CARS or Next Car Game. Believe me Thor, I've played all three of them extensively and it just isn't going to happen. Project CARS controller support is even worse than Assetto Corsa's particularly with PS4 controllers, which feel unresponsive, clunky and borderline useless.

You can't compare GT5 with any of those three games. In terms of technology, all three are a decade ahead of it. In terms of realism the gap is even greater. GT5 isn't a very realistic game, these three are.

Edited by Vindekarr