The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Aye Thor, I'm waiting for that game as well. I like a lot of different genres, but Space Sims are among my favourites. I would STRONGLY urge you to seek out the original Elite, and see if it works on your PC. The developers of Elite: Dangerous originally worked on Elite back in the 1980s, which was itself also revolutionary. The new Dangerous is a modern slant on the original game, which still feels modern even in it's 30th anniversary year.

This is a game everybody should atleast try and play, because it's a true legend. Elite made it's debut in 1984, and has an incredible number of firsts. It had cutting-edge 3D graphics(one of the first ever 3D games) and an open-ended sandbox world, complete with everything you would expect to find in it. The universe was procedurally generated, and arguably the first randomly created world of it's kind. Elite would be an impressive game today, but in the context of when it appeared, it represented a quantum leap in game design.

http://www.elitegameonline.com/img/download.jpg

No wonder i didn't here about it, it was a based on a UK pc. Apparently they where ahead of the time for pc games. before the term pc wen't mainstream.

Came out two years before i was born, impressive if you ask me.

Sigh if i only knew about this game in the early 90's or even th 80's. My Dad was really into pc games back then. He would have really enjoyed this marvel of a game.

He was a fan of the flight sim, and bought one expensive flight combat simulator for the 386, for the time was in 3d. I wish i knew the name of the game, it was pretty good for the time.

lol looking back and fourth between the two, the elite game actually plays better.

this is similar to what he had, but it had a sleek interface and 3d modeling.

the bbc micro had a whopping resolution of 640x256. Which in comparison to the Atari 2600, the maximum resolution was 160x190, even then it struggled to reach that particular resolution. It was a beast for its time that bbc micro.

judge for yourself.

bbc micro specs

http://www.classicacorn.freeuk.com/8bit_machine_spec/bbc_spec/bbc_spec.html

Atari 2600 specs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_2600_hardware

In the Uk there was a small pc revolution happening at the time :smile:

Edited by Thor.

By this point, I'm convinced that all modders have a favorite rock in each game, and can give a comprehensive list of reasons as to why it's the best.

MountainTrimSlab ftw.

lol ya it was pretty bad back then. the very early 90's. i rather see lines and pixels then what was considered 3d back then.

ya it was ahead of its time, then came mario kart. Retron 5 is coming out soon :thumbsup: .

the snes pushed what computers could do back then, then the Amiga cd 32bit came out and changed everything. Also the cd rom.

----------

Also back to modern day game play

the physics are smack on

Elite Dangerous you have my at most attention.

Edited by Thor.

Another game that still holds up well is the original Halo. Halo was a blockbuster when it first appeared in 2001, and still remains one of my favourite games of the 2000s. A few years ago 343 created a special Anniversary Edition which ports the game onto a modern graphics engine, and I was amazed by how well it actually holds up a decade and a half later. The movement feels a little heavy and the difficulty is unforgiving, but overall it still feels like a modern game. Well worth a look if you're bored, since a PC copy on the original engine can be picked up for around $2.

http://einfogames.com/news/files/2012/11/halo-anniversary.jpg

Fifteen year old tech, but still looking fine.

Edited by Vindekarr

gamecube came out then, there was a lot of good games that made halo look like yesterdays graphics back then, the one game that stood out back then was kotor. To this day it still looks next gen.

When it comes to compatibility Nvidia is still number 1. I had nothing but resolution problems with kotor with my old 7950's, it works like a charm now. All the bells and whistles, soft shadowing included.

Kotor really pushed the pc back then, it had graphics considered to be like crysis back in the day.

Edited by Thor.

Another one with graphics to savour was Unreal Tournament 3. Love it or hate it, you can't really deny the impact it's engine had on the outgoing generation of games. It wasn't the prettiest graphics engine around, but it did put fairly good graphics in the hands of relatively small, low-budget studios. And for that I think we should be grateful.