The last poster wins

TheCalliton

:dance: YAY! :dance:

How is your new computers cooling system handling the heat where you are? Australia temperatures, where you are, still in the 80's Fahrenheit?

Happy Computing!

ROARING Applause!

Encore! Encore!

:laugh: Curtain stage right I WIN! curtain stage left :sad:

How is your new computers cooling system handling the heat where you are? Australia temperatures, where you are, still in the 80's Fahrenheit?

Happy Computing!

I haven't been able to test any games out yet, but I think it'll be fine. We've got the air-conditioner on at the moment so it's not very hot and I doubt that the computer will overheat.

I've had quite a few problems with it so far, though. First, Windows 8 sucks. Second, there are no wireless connections. Third, there is no disc drive (seriously, aren't these considered standard?)

I have been trying to install a wireless USB adapter but since there is no disc drive, I cannot install via the disk, and the driver installation executable I downloaded from the internet doesn't work either. I think the computer simply doesn't detect the adapter at all and that's why it won't install properly. Oh well, I'll fix that another day. For now, I just set up in the living room with an Ethernet cable connected to the Wi-fi router.

Also, I tried to copy over my Steam games, but for some reason all the files were deleted and Steam wants to download them again. Well, most of it. I'm installing Skyrim at the moment, and it says it's already downloaded 5GB (I assume this was supposed to be the files I already had) but they weren't there when I checked in the SteamApps folder.

The new monitor is massive, too. It feels weird having such a large screen. The only downside is the pixels are more pronounced, thus making text and such look blocky. Hopefully I grow accustomed to it, otherwise I may end up buying another monitor.

So yeah, those are my adventures with this new computer.

EDIT: And I did something very dumb: I've installed Steam and Skyrim onto my SSD, and now it has run out of space. I thought it would install to the D: Drive by default, but I didn't check it. :wallbash:

EDIT 2: Well, I seem to be on the right track, now. I've been testing Skyrim out and I'm happy with how it looks - despite my monitor having a terrible default colour calibration. My old laptop had such good colours... :confused:

Edited by billyro

Happy Computing!

I haven't been able to test any games out yet, but I think it'll be fine. We've got the air-conditioner on at the moment so it's not very hot and I doubt that the computer will overheat.

I've had quite a few problems with it so far, though. First, Windows 8 sucks. Second, there are no wireless connections. Third, there is no disc drive (seriously, aren't these considered standard?)

I have been trying to install a wireless USB adapter but since there is no disc drive, I cannot install via the disk, and the driver installation executable I downloaded from the internet doesn't work either. I think the computer simply doesn't detect the adapter at all and that's why it won't install properly. Oh well, I'll fix that another day. For now, I just set up in the living room with an Ethernet cable connected to the Wi-fi router.

Also, I tried to copy over my Steam games, but for some reason all the files were deleted and Steam wants to download them again. Well, most of it. I'm installing Skyrim at the moment, and it says it's already downloaded 5GB (I assume this was supposed to be the files I already had) but they weren't there when I checked in the SteamApps folder.

The new monitor is massive, too. It feels weird having such a large screen. The only downside is the pixels are more pronounced, thus making text and such look blocky. Hopefully I grow accustomed to it, otherwise I may end up buying another monitor.

So yeah, those are my adventures with this new computer.

EDIT: And I did something very dumb: I've installed Steam and Skyrim onto my SSD, and now it has run out of space. I thought it would install to the D: Drive by default, but I didn't check it. :wallbash:

You've got a lot of new computer equipment to get acquainted with, that's for sure. :mellow: You'll have a lot of new questions that arise from getting acquainted with your new computers functions. :geek:

Remember to get up and take a short walk about when you get hungry for answers. :cool: Your brain ( not the computers ) will appreciate it and you'll likely find the answers occur more often when you've given yourself a brief recharge. :yes:

EDIT 2: Well, I seem to be on the right track, now. I've been testing Skyrim out and I'm happy with how it looks - despite my monitor having a terrible default colour calibration. My old laptop had such good colours... :confused:

My laptop has horrible, horrible colors. I plugged in my old monitor (I think I mentioned this before, oh well) and it was so much better. Actually, I'm not sure why I unplugged it. I had Skyrim on a lower resolution so that I could keep the monitor since it was clear and more colorful.

billyro, on 02 Feb 2015 - 04:45 AM, said:http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_images/underground/snapback.png

If you haven't already, check into the video cards online website and see if they have a separate package for controlling your video card on your computers system and a video card driver upgrade that will recognize your monitor and adjust it.

I'm just going to buy another monitor. I get paid tomorrow so I'll have enough for a good one. :smile:

Until then, I'm not going to play any games because it just makes me angry. Seriously, the blacks of this monitor aren't even black! They're more like a dark grey. YICK!

Do you know what I just realised?

2010 was 5 years ago. 5 years! Far out...

Edited by billyro