The last poster wins

TheCalliton

It's mostly the cubemap with a particularly bright environmental mask on the weapon, but yeah.

I ended up reducing the saturation of the sword and it looks a bit better in-game, and I've also been spending a lot of time remaking all the vanilla cubemaps to match it. Steel, however, is proving to be a problem! For some reason, the steel weapons make use of the new shinydull_e.dds cubemap, yet the armour does not (even though they are assigned to use it in the .nif files) so I have nice, reflective steel weapons, and yet the armour remains dull. I've literally looked into every possible reason why the armour isn't using the proper cubemap but I just can't figure it out! It's so strange...

Ebony, Dwemer, Glass, Dragon and Elven equipment are working fine with new cubemaps. Iron, Orcish, Wolf, Studded and some others don't even use environmental mapping, so I can't change those. Steel is the only rebellious one at the moment.

EDIT: Well, turns out the steel weapons use a different cubemap to the armour, so I have a bit more control than I thought. However, annoyingly, the steel torso uses a different rendering technique to the boots, gauntlets and helmet. So yes. :dry:

EDIT 2: I think I might just leave the shinydull_e.dds and shinybright_e.dds files as they were and save myself the hassle. That, or update the cubemaps so that they're similar in brightness to the originals and leave it like that.

EDIT 3: Yeah, did that. Screw steel!

Edited by billyro

Legal War never changes

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/D%C3%A9j%C3%A0_vu:_Bethesda_appeals_from_preliminary_injunction_denial

Above is about Bethesda's failure in 2011 : which the Bethesda team later found a way to keep Fallout online from being created.

Since I did not keep up with this, about FALLOUT battles, with Interplay and Bethesda, mostly because I wanted to play Morrowind and levitate some more, I did not know what most of the people who were enthralled about the people, who probably knew each other well, who were in the legal fighting arena.

Legal war never changes

ROARING Applause!

Encore! Encore!

:laugh: Curtain stage right I WIN! curtain stage left :sad:

Hey Pagafyr, can you please reduce the length of your signature? It takes up a lot of space. Thanks. :smile:

EDIT: Funny how when I finish work on time, it feels like I finished early. That's how often I get asked to stay back over-time.

EDIT 2: Worked some more on the sword:

http://puu.sh/g3PpO/a24f5b558a.jpg

Words cannot express how much I loathe texturing metal.

Edited by billyro

If you think metal is hard, try doing wood, I bet you'll change your opinion right quick. I haven't done a single sword/axe/dagger with a leather strap hilt thus far, I do only wood.

Which reminds me, I still didn't finish my dagger's mesh, gotta make a dragon's head inside the blade's central cut-out. That's gonna be a pain in the arse, I guarantee it.

On an unrelated note...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spZJrsssPA0

I haven't been laughing this hard in a long time. :laugh:

I haven't tried wood before, but it does sound evil. If I had to use wood, I would get a tileable texture and use that: too hard to make it from scratch.

The main problem with the metal is that it can look nice on the flat texture, but in-game it doesn't have enough contrast to make the details pop. Then, if you add more contrast to the metal texture, it looks too rough and gritty in-game. I can't find the perfect balance...

And that video was great! :laugh:

Edited by billyro

I haven't tried wood before, but it does sound evil. If I had to use wood, I would get a tileable texture and use that: too hard to make it from scratch.

It's not that it's hard to make, I can make it no problem, it's easy, but it takes time until you get it right for what you want to use it for. Once you perfected it, then you realize you can't get the the UV right on that thing and the hilt has a seam, which takes even more time. And once you fix the UV up, it takes a whole day just to get the normal map right, not to mention the specular.

That's why I use stock photos for wood - laziness. :tongue:

As for metal contrast, I know what you mean, but it's not the diffuse that you should adjust. Go play with the specular map.

Edited by Werne

Hey Pagafyr, can you please reduce the length of your signature? It takes up a lot of space. Thanks. :smile:

Really?! Wow! It might be better if I just levitated out of here and went back to the sole purpose of playing MORROWIND, downloading mods for it, and like, go back to being like I was before; I ever started looking for friendship on the Internet.

Hey! If you stop uploading pictures that take up more than 150 x 110 res you might not get such a slow response from the Internet after you use up your 200 Gb of Internet allowance.

I may as well start removing the avatars to all those who I liked, only because I liked some part of their mods.

Oh! Depression is setting in and is reminding me I awakened from a dream where I exited from a school. I saw a keyfob lifted to my visual dreaming sleep eye view, I don't have one like, and pressed the button. Nothing happened. It did not get a car to sound its horns so I could see where it was parked or any lights flashing either to help find it.

I suspect the dream suggests my ride is gone, I wasted it using it to find a new school of thought and friends with similar ideas, only to find a game called, "THE LAST POSTER WINS". Maybe a name change would be good, you know, like, "THE LAST POSER WINS".

In my case it means nothing really or I would have seen a keyfob I recognized instead of the one with a huge round button at one end.

I'm already a sick boy, I can't get any sicker, have been since 1968, and Peter Pan was one of my favorite shows as a child. Must of been a forewarning of things to come. The story was written for and I think likely because he was written about for sick children in a hospital and given to "G. O. S. H." a group who were responsible for putting on the play for, you may have guessed it, the sick children in one of their hospital's.

Talk about copyright stories, if you want to see how copyrights are, and other rights are, around the world, just check out the Peter Pan books copyright info keeping the play and some of the written stories out of the hands of pirates and plagiarizers..

Bye!

ROARING Applause!

Encore! Encore!

It's not that it's hard to make, I can make it no problem, it's easy, but it takes time until you get it right for what you want to use it for. Once you perfected it, then you realize you can't get the the UV right on that thing and the hilt has a seam, which takes even more time. And once you fix the UV up, it takes a whole day just to get the normal map right, not to mention the specular.

That's why I use stock photos for wood - laziness. :tongue:

As for metal contrast, I know what you mean, but it's not the diffuse that you should adjust. Go play with the specular map.

If the handle was originally a cylinder, you can straighten the UV maps out and then scale the tileable texture to fit inside it and the texture should line up perfectly. The straighten UV tool is very useful in situations like that.

The specular/environment map only control reflectivity in Skyrim, so adding contrast to those only makes the darker areas less reflective and the lighter areas more reflective: the actual detail remains the same. I'm going to experiment with normal maps tomorrow (actually, today, since it's 3am) and see if adding an excessive amount of depth to those will bring out the metal details.

Really?! Wow! It might be better if I just levitated out of here and went back to the sole purpose of playing MORROWIND, downloading mods for it, and like, go back to being like I was before; I ever started looking for friendship on the Internet.

Hey! If you stop uploading pictures that take up more than 150 x 110 res you might not get such a slow response from the Internet after you use up your 200 Gb of Internet allowance.

All I asked was for you to reduce the length of your signature since it's much longer than everyone else's - a simple request asked with pleasant manners - there's no need to be an arse. And at least I put my large images inside a spoiler so it doesn't take up so much space.

If I could make a suggestion about your signature, remove the part about stopping by at the Nexus Forums: the only people who will actually see your signature are already on the forums, making the message redundant.

And that's enough internet for tonight.

Edited by billyro

I'm sorry if I was an arse. And haven't had my signature called upon by the Dark0ne as being a problem here.

What you just typed makes it clear you acknowledge the size of your pictures are huge, and for displaying here they don't need to be that high of a resolution. And since you said what you did it is clear that you do know you load pictures which are sucking your Gigabyte allowance down very quickly.

Reduce the images size and save your upload and download allowance of Gigabytes so you can post more of your delightful pictures and stuff.

Sorry if being an arse is what I thought you were doing suggesting I change stuff for you.

I was making a very good point on how you could save some of you Internet Gigabytes allowance and be more productive.

ROARING Applause!

Encore! Encore!

Yeah, sorry about what I said. I thought you were taking a stab at me, so I responded that way.

Most of my images that I upload are under 1MB since I upload them as .jpg images, mostly. That keeps the data usage low. The only reason we exceeded 200GB that time was because my brother and I both downloaded a 50GB game in the space of about 3 days - if we didn't, we never would have gone over the limit.