ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Safe to use console disable or mark for delete?

Mookeylama

i've got couple mods (Better City Entrances and Windhelm Military Enhancement) that add stuff around the Windhelm stable and bridge area. some stuff obviously overlaps and clips. also seems to be navmesh path problems with npcs (from NPCs On Horses and Inconsequential NPCs) walking n ridng past that area. i know a patch or fiddling w/ the 2 mods in TESVEDIT or CK would be a better fix, but i have no idea how to do that and cant even get CK to install properly.

so could i just use console command "disable" to disappear some clipping stuff? or would "mark for deletion" be a better command? would it be safe and stable to do that? i've used "disable" no clean up some of the overlapping stuff here, but is it safe doing that.

would it help w/ navmesh and npcs moving about? thanks

Generally "disable" and "markfordelete" are safe to use on clipping items such as trees, but it all depends on how things work in the mod itself.

For example if you would remove a bed which is attached to an npc (where he goes to sleep) then of course that npc will have issues, same goes for anything else that could serve as a "marker" for npcs doing all sorts of actions.

Either way deleting lights will not work, you can delete the candle but not the actual light source.

And if there are navmesh issues you can try to remove some stuff so they can walk through it more properly, but if two or more mods are causing navmesh issues then there not a lot you can do about it tbh.

Normally you would choose to install one mod and if this mod is causing conflicts with another mod you just don't install that other mod, its going to cause nothing but issues.

I prefer 'disable' as at least it can be reversed (if you make a note of the item ID), and you can see right away what you're removing. 'Markfordelete' is a permanent removal that cannot be reversed, and you cannot see what you've removed unless you save afterwards and reload the save.

true Joker, but if an object is first disabled and then get enabled through something (such as a quest or a buy dialogue for example) then the "disable" console command will not work, so in those cases you really need to use "markfordelete".

In any case, before using markfordelete make a back-up save for safekeeping and always remove on item at a time, quicksave, quickload and make sure the correct item is removed.

Disable is safer to use, though it does not always work, none of them are any better then the other, they are just used in different situations.

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...

I'm in a similar position. I want to get rid of a rock from ETaC that has minor clipping issues with a house added by Helgen Reborn, and I'm procrastinating about learning the CK/TES5Edit.

My question is that if I markfordelete an object (the rock, in this case), will it delete other instances of that rock model that are used throughout Skyrim? I'm not sure that's the case, but I want to be before I potentially cause problems.