Eve Online

UberBender

I don't fancy the sound of it - very complicated, and quite difficult to master, or so I've heard. I prefer my MMORPGs to be at least reasonably uncomplicated. But who knows, maybe some time in the future. ^^ Personally if I play a space sim I go for offline rather than online.

And it's only 2-3 years old, isn't it?

The graphics look well above what WoW is. It can be complicated if you want it to be but you can keep it pretty simple if you want. It's very flexable.

I've got about a week left of my free-trial, and I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'll become a full-time subscriber, but at the moment I am definitely enjoying the game. I can see how it wouldn't be a game for everyone, though. If you care about "phat lewt" and "pwning noobs", it's not for you. You could do that quicker in Warcraft. Given EVE's skill system, it would take an estimated 3 years to reach the equivelant of L60.

If you prefer simple, straightforward gameplay, a sort of "go here and do this and have fun" system, also probably not for you. EVE is more open ended. You have to make the choice for your style of play, and then how to best act it out.

-Tim

It's fantastic. I used to play it religiously, and yes, it is fairly difficult to master, especially if you have zero guidance. However, attach yourself to one of the many, many friendly players and corps (guilds to the WoW initiates) and you'll be a pretty dab hand at a chosen trade within, oh, say a couple days of good playing. Except PvP combat, of course, because b*****d campers and newbie-hunters are everywhere where the really good stuff is.

I don't play it any more, since I ran out of money :P but I heartily recommend it to all who enjoy a good game. Role-players are catered for (although not to the extent some may like, although I imagine that's true of all MMORPGs), and any player can find a niche, or blast another guy out of theirs and take their place :D Plus ex-PCZoner Richie Shoemaker writes a semi-official magazine for it, which is always a nice bonus.

I'll stop saying how good it is now, and yield the floor to someone who thinks it's boring. Fool :ph34r:

Complicated? Then I'll give it a try!

Seeing as how my holiday got cancelled, so I can work >:( , and Oblivion aint gonna warm up my christmas sock >:( >:(

Hell, I'm burning through all the run-around-and-shoot-poo games I can find. Bleh

(Sorry Switch I should be interior desecrating, but I'm just so depressed. I dont even have the energy to wail) ((or chew my desk))

Just had a look at the site and it seems like a lot of effort... but I'm willing to try. Dont like the paranoia aspect that leaving my ship open for the taking is going to awaken in me, are the safe docking spaces? Seems like it cashes in a bit on that the force you to spend all your time there...

Actually this got me interested, Absath starting was just one of the weird things that happens.

Dont like the paranoia aspect that leaving my ship open for the taking is going to awaken in me, are the safe docking spaces? Seems like it cashes in a bit on that the force you to spend all your time there...

There are docking stations everywhere, and it takes a lot less of your time than WoW.

Archived