Getting Over Cheating

ProteusBlack

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else find it hard to even finish a play through because they keep discovering more mods they just have to have, or is this just me?!? :D

It's not just you. The amount of times I've built my "perfect" Skyrim and played it for a few hours and then thought I wonder if there's a mod for that?" and then done a complete rebuild and restart is unbelievable.

Damn mod authors being so good!

lol. Me too! My first playthrough was simply with most of the "top 100" mods here at the Nexus. Most of them to increase immersion (Sounds of Skyrim, etc.) But my 2nd playthrough got loaded up with tons of mods. I'm up to 224 now. Getting close to the max limit. (Unless I start merging mods. Yuch. I don't want to deal with that.)

Concerning the topic: If you console to get your character out of "stuck" situation due to a bug/glitch in the game, that's definitely not cheating. If you console because you're bored and/or in a hurry, that's cheating, -but it's only bad if you feel like you've let yourself down later. As to mods that alter the game mechanics... -Oof, that's a bit of a gray area to me. By way of example, I'm now in my 4th playthrough. I installed the Leveler's Tower mod and went in and pumped up certain skills for my character right after I got out of Helgen. I didn't do this to "cheat" but rather because I had a specific plan to role-play this playthrough and I wanted my character to "start off" at lvl 15. This didn't feel like cheating to me since I planned it in advance. I'm having a blast on this playthrough as a result. Now other mods that alter specific mechanics in the game, by way of example: Bandoliers, Bags and Pouches -may be considered cheating, but I rationalized this mod by way of the old D&D "Bags of Holding". I guess it really comes down to how you feel about cheating and what you consider "cheating" to be. Cheating in a multi-player game is, obviously, wrong. Because your cheating gets you an unfair advantage over another player. But cheating in a single-player game really comes down to "Did I WANT to do this? Am I satisfied with the results?"

@ Daiyus: You work on "Beyond Skyrim"? That's awesome! I am so looking forward to that project's completion.

I use console commands in a few specific situations.

1) Teleport or collision off if I or a follower are stuck/disappeared.

2) Trying out the looks of an armor/clothing/weapon mod. I'll usually then discard the item and get it the way the mod author intended.

3) Rebuilding a character whose original save got corrupted, or maybe I just want to start over again at higher than level 1 w/ a different backstory.

4) Testing or debugging a mod I've written.

5) Changing the weather if I'm bored of a week of straight rain.

6) Fixing quests that have been broken by a mod.

7) Removing unwanted effects when I removed a mod but forgot to unequip the item first.

8) Situations where I've ragequit. I'll then use tgm, curbstomp the enemy to work out my frustration, then reload a save and either retreat or re-strategize.

9) Unlock master locks that I've just got to know what's in the chest. If it's worth it, then I'll waste the 20 odd lockpicks to get it open (I do consider this cheating, but sometimes curiosity gets the better of me.)

Edited by jhelzei

I have always found this a weird thing. Like people who complain about fast travel and disable it. If you don't want to use it, don't use it. I cheat and fast travel but if I want to not do either, it is easy enough. I just don't.

I'd honestly love to know what makes it so hard for some to resist. Some to the point where the feel the need to stop themselves ahead of time by doing things like disabling fast traveling with a mod.

I'm finding more and more that using Quick travel isn't always the best solution, only because i have recently discovered other quest that i never knew existed, and they usally get triggered when traveling on a road from one town to another, or just randonly running into a half crazed lunatic who wants you do his or her bidding, but either way for someone who is fairly new to the game i wouldn't rely on quick travel all the time, i use it for quick fixes, such as some of the glitches named in other post.

For me persoanally losing out on quest that can be challenging and fun are a game breaker for me, i try to soak up every last bit of gaming experience possible, after all we pay for it, so i want to get as much out of the experience as i can, there are still glitches that require you to have to use the console just to continue, that to me isn't considered cheating, it's a work around.

Edited by shep8234

I'm finding more and more that using Quick travel isn't always the best solution, only because i have recently discovered other quest that i never knew existed, and they usally get triggered when traveling on a road from one town to another, or just randonly running into a half crazed lunatic who wants you do his or her bidding, but either way for someone who is fairly new to the game i wouldn't rely on quick travel all the time, i use it for quick fixes, such as some of the glitches named in other post.

For me persoanally losing out on quest that can be challenging and fun are a game breaker for me, i try to soak up every last bit of gaming experience possible, after all we pay for it, so i want to get as much out of the experience as i can, there are still glitches that require you to have to use the console just to continue, that to me isn't considered cheating, it's a work around.

There are other events that only trigger if you do fast travel or use the carriages. The game designers expect you to do a healthy mix. Travel on foot (or horse) to places you haven't been to before (or haven't visited lately) and use fast travel or the carriages for the return journey and routine trips you character takes. That way you won't miss out on anything.

There's definitely something to be said for taking the roads of Skyrim, but at the same time... Bethesda is horrible about quests that consist of all the way across Skyrim for maybe twenty seconds of activity pertaining to the quest, then travel all the way back, and on top of that, they gave our horses the running speed of a western pleasure horse. Call me a cheater, but I don't want to spend 80% of my time in Skyrim travelling, so something's got to give. I started by boosting my horse's movement speed to, you know, the actual speed that horses move at, and that makes a massive difference, but sometimes, for those quests that essentially amount to Dragonborn Courier services, yeah, I Quick Travel that.

There are other events that only trigger if you do fast travel or use the carriages. The game designers expect you to do a healthy mix. Travel on foot (or horse) to places you haven't been to before (or haven't visited lately) and use fast travel or the carriages for the return journey and routine trips you character takes. That way you won't miss out on anything.

I guess i haven't played enough yet, because i'm still coming across quest i have never done before, if i was really wanting to cheat i would google every quest, but it takes the fun out of finding them on my own, i know a lot of you have been at this for a few years, so a lot is still new to me.