• a mixture
    • none
  2. 2. What is your favorite kind of pet, if you have a favorite

• dog
    • cat
    • other
    • no favorite
    • do not like pets

Very recently my beloved cat, PuddyTat, passed away. I was sad but also pleased for she was suffering. She was rescued, as a half starved stray, and was much spoiled after that.

PuddyTat was a ginger tabby female cat, and adult that was often treated like a big kitten; she learned to sound like a big kitten so as to gain extra attention or food. PuddyTat was a good sentry of the refrigerator just in case she missed a chance to beg for food. She was a good mouser when given the chance to be so. She sometimes gave me the privilege of having her sleep in my lap or scratch her back or rub her tummy and of course to give her food and cat's milk.

I started this topic in honor of PuddyTat!

Please post about your pets, not just those that have passed away, along with your opinions on pets in general. Stories, poems, statements are also welcome.

Thanks, Graham.

PS: a cat is always the center of the universe while a dog is part of a pack that is the center of the universe.

Aw sorry to hear about your cat.

I have dogs, but I like all animals really. I'm allergic to cats but that doesn't stop me from liking them, or them from thinking it's a wonderful idea to brush along me for an hour.

Mishka's the newest and she's immensely frustrating but really adorable, often at the same time.

Ah man my two cats are crazy, They have the weirdest habits, because I live in a small apartment it becomes all too obvious. When it comes to food oh man they can drive me crazy haha

So yeah love/loved dogs until I couldn't keep a dog, so I got a cat, loved cats ever since. My male cat really loves me to bits I've never seen a cat that has so much affection any chance he gets he will be by my side. Think he thinks he's a dog, I'm not sure.

Edited by velve666

Let's see... I shall try to name them.

Dogs: there was Gypsy, Boof, Storm, Buster, Molly, Duke, Ripper, Roxy, Dice, Maggie, Blinky, Whisky, Bella, Indie, and Chief.
Cats: Whitey (I was 4, hence the imaginative name), Nigel, Ginger (have a guess what colour he was), Stripey (hmm, what patterns I wonder?), Izzy, and Dex.

I have a story about each one, and I feel like sharing so here they are:

Gypsy was my Dad's favourite dog of all time. She was a kind old warrior who sat next to you on the veranda and seemed to be very wise indeed (aside from drooling all the time). I cannot remember what breed she was, but she was a big, sandy-coloured hunting dog (probably had some Great Dane and Mastiff in her, as well as Bulldog or Bull Arab). She died of old age about 8 years ago, while my Dad drove from one end of Australia to the other. She was about 9 years old, and I would have been 10 at the time.

Boof got lost while pig hunting about 10 years ago. We got him around the same time as we got Gypsy, and he was definitely the silly one of the two. He was the same breed as Gypsy, though he was pretty much all white. He liked to whinge a lot and was a bit of a boof-head (hence his name), but he was a friendly old dog. My brother once piddled on his head.

Buster was the first little dog we owned. He was a Pug X Jack Russell, and was a very fun little dog to play with. He was absolutely crazy, and we would race him up and down the hallway for no reason, and he loved it. He would always charge through the dog-door at full speed, and sometimes this proved to be his undoing when the door was locked ("WHAM!"). We had to sell Buster when we moved to the other side of Australia.

I can't really remember much about Molly, but I do know that she was a dirty old warrior with numerous scars and was quite ugly. She was like the Orc of dogs. Although she wasn't the prettiest dog to look at, she did teach one of our greatest warrior dogs the ways of battle. Molly died from a paralysis tick, I believe.

Duke. Good old Dukey. He was a Neapolitan Mastiff X Bandog, a mighty legend who slew pigs as easily we buttered bread. He was a meat-head who couldn't be bowled over by a tractor. I remember when me and my brother were young, and we'd climb up this tree and dangle some rope from it for Duke to attack. He would lumber up to it, leap and take it in his mighty jaws, and thrash around like a death-rolling croc. We called the game "Duking". We eventually gave away old Duke because he was simply too powerful and aggressive to keep in the neighbourhood (and he also fought with Ripper a few times).

Ripper was a Bull Arab - a lithe, muscled machine who could run 60km/h and was untouchable as he ravaged pigs. I considered Ripper a gentleman dog, since he was shy and placid, but very confident in himself. While out walking, he would always intently follow behind Dad like a good boy, and Dad thought this was annoying. Nevertheless, Ripper was a very intelligent, powerful and faithful dog who was taken down in the prime of his life by Dog-kind's worst enemy: the paralysis tick.

Roxy was a spastic. She was obsessed with tennis balls and she would leap through the long grass like a kangaroo. Often we would play backyard cricket, and she would be an excellent fielder: she took some crazy catches mid-air like you wouldn't believe! Then, once she got overheated from all the exercise, she would run and jump into the pool. Sometimes when she thought she was in trouble, she would lie on her back and kick her legs like she was spasming uncontrollably. She passed away from yet another paralysis tick.

Maggie was a dog we owned only briefly, for reasons I cannot remember. She was a yellow brindled Grey-Hound who liked playing and stirring up the other dogs. I believe she became too energetic to keep around the house, so that's why we gave her away to the neighbour.

Whisky was a blonde Wolf-Hound with a hunger for wooden furniture and shoes. Needless to say, we sold her after a few months.

Blinky was a Miniature Schnauzer that looked strangely like a koala (that's why we called him Blinky - as in Blinky Bill). He was a maniac who thought we was very tough indeed, despite being a quarter of the size of our other dogs. I remember I once threw a pot-plant up the hill in amongst the ferns (don't ask me why), and Blinky charged to the base of the hill and barked like he was the King. The pot then came rolling down the hill and he yelped and took off like a bullet and we could not stop laughing it was so funny! He was a very fun little dog to have (and quite intelligent despite being thick as a brick), and we think he was stolen due to the Miniature Schnauzers' high value (sometimes $1,000+).

Bella was another Bull Arab we got shortly after those Twilight movies came out (my sister insisted on the name Bella, despite all our objections). I can't really remember much about her because we only owned for a few months before she got a tick and died.

Indie was a Great Dane who we owned about half a year ago. She was an eccentric, lumbering dog with a big heart and a weak bladder. Oft-times she would piss on the floor, much to our great annoyance. While she was like a big teddy bear, she was also an absolute spastic. She would do things that you would just look at her and think, "what the heck is going through her brain?" She also liked to destroy things. We sold her because of this.

Chief was yet another Bull-Arab we owned. He was going to be one great dog - he was smart, calm yet playful - but he sadly got bitten by a poisonous snake and died.

That's all the dogs I can remember (I am sure we have owned more, but I can't think of them at the moment). I know a lot of our dogs have died from stinking paralysis ticks, and that's because they're really tiny parasites that you usually don't see until it's too late. Tick-collars do not defend the dogs against them, either. Ticks are truly evil, evil creatures.

Now, onto the cats...

Whitey was a cat we owned when I was very little. I can't remember much about her except from family videos, but it appears that I would transport her about by dragging a sheet she was lying on. I think she got run over by a car.

Nigel was the second cat we owned - he was an evil, calculating panther that stalked the night and probably dealt in drugs and all that (I kid). But yes, he was very solitary and we never really saw him that often. He used to explore the sewers a lot, and that's where the think he got lost.

Ginger and Stripey were two cats we owned once we moved to Queensland. They were brothers - one ginger coloured, and one had stripes (hence their brilliant names). They would battle each other during the night, much to our amusement (we would sleep on mattresses on the floor). Ginger got bitten by a snake and died, and Stripey simply disappeared.

Izzy was a cat we got a few years after the loss of Ginger and Stripey. She was a gentle, grey cat who enjoyed sleeping on your chest or neck. I can't remember much about her, but I know she was quite affectionate for a cat. Izzy disappeared one day, but we assume it was a snake that got her.

The only animals we still own are Dice and Dex.

Dice is a black and white Bull-Arab (surprise surprise). She was the cutest puppy in the world, and she would still be very cute if she wasn't covered in a million scars. Dice is truly a one-of-a-kind type of dog: she is very friendly towards people and dogs, while also being one of the best pig fighters ever. Seriously, a week ago she tackled a wild pig that was 90kg (3x her own weight) and managed to win the battle (she got a lot of cuts from the tusks though, which required stitches). Honestly, I can't even describe her prowess on the battlefield. She's like... the Lu Bu of dogs. She once fought 3 other dogs at once (who ran at her from someone else's property while Dad was walking her) and kicked all their butts. In all these years, she has probably taken down more than 50 pigs. But enough about her warrior-status - you want to know about her funny side, don't you? Well, I can verify that she does Tai-Chi. Not even joking. Sometimes you just watch her, and she just goes into this sort of trance, and she'll move really slowly and brush her head in amongst the ferns and stuff. As a matter of fact, all Bull Arabs do Tai-Chi (Ripper did it), and I have no idea why. Anyway at the present moment, she is under the house, recovering still from that battle with the pig I mentioned earlier.

Dex is a small, black cat that we own. He is a vicious fighter who torments innocent creatures (typical cat behaviour, mind you) and enjoys clawing fingers, hands, feet, legs, anything he can attack with ease. Aside from his tendency to draw blood, he is a surprisingly friendly cat who really enjoys human company and actually seeks it out. Annoyingly, he always seems to want affection while we're doing something, like reading a book (which he sits on) or playing a game on our laptops (which he sits on). He is actually lucky to be alive, though - when he was a kitten, he was attacked by an Amethystine Python (a massive python), and we saved him in the nick of time. I had nightmares for days after that attack: I can just remember Dex, wrapped up in the snake's clutches and looking at me for help... it was really horrifying. Dad came to the rescue though, and smacked that snake in the head which made him release Dex. We then cut the snake's head off. Dex only just survived, and he was very, very timid few the next few weeks, but he came good eventually and I don't think he even remembers that day any more.

So yeah, if you own pets in Australia (or more specifically, northern Australia), be prepared - you could very well lose them. The main culprits of pet deaths up here are snakes, ticks, crocs, pigs, and other pets who are mad from bloodlust.

It's been hard, living with so many animals over these years, with most of them dying because of these misfortunes, but I try not to remember their deaths and instead remember their lives - how they brought joy to our family, how they grew into their personalities and remembering all their individual quirks, good and bad. That's what they deserve.

Pets aren't just some animal your family owns: they are your family. :happy:

EDIT: Whoa... I think I got carried away! :tongue:

Edited by billyro

Dogs are definitely my preferred pet, they've been a part of my family since I was a small child. They're true companions; you form a friendship and relationship with a dog in a way that you can't with most other species. They're a bit like children; their behaviour mirrors the way you treat them. They're very sensitive and extremely loyal, and if you treat them the way they deserve, they'll be a faithful companion for life.

The best story I have about why I love dogs ironically centres around me getting bitten by one. I was about 10, and was playing fetch in the back yard with the family's 5 year old Australian Cattledog Pugsley. Pugsley was a great dog, but very excitable and a bit hyperactive. After a few throws he got very, very excited indeed and started to go crazy. As I picked up the ball to throw, he jumped up and chomped on the hand holding the ball.

Now, what's really amazing is what he did next. He seemed to take fright, and started circling around whining. He very clearly knew he'd made a mistake, and very clearly regretted it. After about thirty seconds he came back and started licking my hand. Of all the experiences I've had with dogs, that was probably the best, they really are amazing animals.

EDIT: There's an old adage in Australia that people tend to look like their dogs. That's certainly true for me; I have the same kind long, shaggy black mane as my two Spitz Crosses, as well as being true for my father who's salt-and-pepper hair matches his Steel Cattledog.

Edited by Vindekarr

I'm sorry to hear about PuddyTat, Maharg. I know how devastating it is to lose one of your babies :(

Anyway, I'm a cat person x about 1,000! I adore cats, especially the Siamese/Oriental breed. Seriously, when I first saw the breed and read about their personality traits, it seemed like nature had designed a being just for me.

I currently have two cats, a Siamese and an Oriental. My Siamese is over twelve years ago, so he's getting on. He has the most amazing nature. I can't imagine ever sharing a bond like that with a pet again. He is the most special boy ever :)

I got my Oriental just under a year ago and he is an absolute :devil:, but I love him anyway. I got him to replace the cat-shaped hole left behind by the passing of my first Oriental. He died just over a year ago. He had lymphoma and was only 18 months old when he died. It was tragic. We threw all the chemo we could at that cancer, but it didn't work.

Anyway, that's all ... I :wub: CATS!

• 2 weeks later...

2 Dogs. Sophie, a Newfoundland/Husky mix, and Kia, Pit bull godonlyknowswhat mix. They are different as night and day. Sophie is calm, laid back. Kia is high strung, little bundle of energy. If I could tap it, I wouldn't need the electric connection to the house. She LITERALLY bounces off the walls. Both were rescues, one from a 'puppy mill' breeder, that didn't quite pay enough attention to her dogs, and the other from a couple that got her for the wifey, but, was FAR to interested in their expensive birds..... they were just going to dump her somewhere.... Sophie needed a friend, so, we took her in. Both dogs are somewhere in the nighborhood of three years old, so, I hope to have them around for quite a while yet.

3 Cats. Riley, Duchess, and Mo...... Rily was from the shelter, Duchess was from the streets, Mo came from a farm.... (like we needed mo' cats.....) All three are pretty worthless as mousers. :) They will look, note that: Yep, there's a mouse. and go back to sleep.... The DOGS make better mousers...... They have over 40 to their credit. (inside, and outside.) The cats? Maybe they have gotten 4. Maybe.

They all live pretty much indoors. We have a fenced area (about 50X50) for the dogs outside, plus, 3 and some change acres for them to run around in. They only get to go out in the 'big world', when there is someone to watch them, as they haven't figured out the whole 'stay in your own yard' thing yet. Cats rarely, if ever, go outside. They don't want to..... (even the dogs give me funny looks in winter..... seem to be asking me what happened to the door to the WARM outside...)

I know that feeling. My two grow thick winter coats and their breed originated in frigid Canada, and yet act like complete sooks around cold water or cool winter days. They literally won't go outside in frost, and run in terror from the hose. Baths have to happen outside, and usually involve chasing them around with a hose, which is always funny.

*sigh* they're great. They look like a pair of bloody direwolves; huge dark-furred monsters which at around 9 months are already quite large. And yet in temperament they're as savage as a pair marshmallows, very obedient when not water is not involved, and have a particular fondness for lying across people's feet.

LOL.

We took Sophie out to the lake with us when she was a young 'un. Walked a trail about a mile and a half so that we could take her to a secluded beach, and let her play in the water as well. She was all about that.... right up until the first wave rolled in. (maybe 8 inches high, from a boat wake) After that, she wanted NOTHING to do with water , that wasn't perfectly smooth...... It would be funny if it weren't so sad.... a water dog that doesn't like water? Seriously??? Kia, on the other hand..... simply doesn't care. She will chase the kids out of their wading pool, flop down in it, and it is now HERS! She will roll around and play in water for 20 minutes or so, then, off to do something else. Of course, when it comes to bath time.... she is nowhere to be found. :)

At my parents place, they have about 1000 feet of frontage on a small lake. It's generally pretty calm.... and both girls LOVE to go wading thru the reeds, and get as wet, stinky, and nasty as they can, while chasing the geese, turtles, and whatever else happens to move....... It's funny to watch, up until it is time to get them back into the truck...... then the truck stinks for a week.