Hardware Recommendations?

Aboogie1

I play Skyrim on a laptop, but want to upgrade. I'm looking to build my own gaming pc. I was checking gpu comparisons online and was overwhelmed by the options. Any recommended hardware (gpu, processor, SSD, Ram) which is a particularly good match for Skyrim? My budget is fairly loose, but I probably won't get the absolute top of the line. Any recommendations appreciated.

A cash amount would help greatly even if it is an estimate. You can build gaming PCs that cost over $2500USD easily.

you can pay that for the video cards alone! Add Water cooling on a pair of 780 cards....

I was hoping to keep the cost under $800 for the whole pc. I would spend a bit more to get the performance I want if I have to though. I guess I should also specify the performance I'm aiming for. I want to play a moderately modded Skyrim with High/Ultra settings and ENB at 1920x1080 and not drop below 60fps in any reasonable situations. I'd also like to be able to keep that performance level for the Oculus Rift whenever that comes out. I'm not sure about how the system demands might change for it though. Is it possible to meet those performance expectations for anywhere near $800? If not I guess I could settle for 1080p.

CPU: Intel i5-4690 - This is the most powerful CPU of the i5 series by Intel. The i7 series is a little bit stronger but it's also a lot more expensive and in my opinion the bigger price is in no relation to the performance plus.

Mainboard: Any MB of the H97 series should do it. If you're planning to overclock you'll have to bay a MB with a Z97 chipset (more expensive).

RAM: 8 GB by any of the more prominent manufacturers. Of course more is never bad but for Skyrim 8GB is more than enough. The CPU mentioned is designed for RAM with clock speed 1600 so everything above it would be useless.

Harddrive: Get a SSD! It's a huge difference. I bought a small one with just 128GB where I have my OS, programs and Skyrim installed.

Graphics: Here I tend to oversizing. I have a Sapphire R9 290 OC. This card can handle ultra settings, ENB and 60fps.

Edited by Novem99

get a gpu with at least 3gb of vram

you can easily use more than 2gb with texture mods... also if you want play other games you would be in trouble running today's games at high/ultra with 2gbs

another thing: you wont be able to run skyrim with enb at 60 fps unless you have a 450$ or + gpu

CPU: Intel i5-4690 - This is the most powerful CPU of the i5 series by Intel. The i7 series is a little bit stronger but it's also a lot more expensive and in my opinion the bigger price is in no relation to the performance plus.

My laptop has a quad-core i7 and it has never shown a usage over 20% while playing Skyrim. Is that simply because Skyrim isn't utilizing more than one thread or because it honestly doesn't need more than 20% of my processor? Do multiple cores have any advantage with Skyrim?

RAM: 8 GB by any of the more prominent manufacturers. Of course more is never bad but for Skyrim 8GB is more than enough. The CPU mentioned is designed for RAM with clock speed 1600 so everything above it would be useless.

I don't know much about RAM clock speed. Is there any noticeable advantage to speeds over 1600?

Graphics: Here I tend to oversizing. I have a Sapphire R9 290 OC. This card can handle ultra settings, ENB and 60fps.

Is that at 1920p?

OK, so my biggest cost is going to be the gpu, and I need to get one with 3gb or more and at least 512bit. Got it :)

Another question: Which GPU brands tend to have the best ongoing support and updates. I'm not sure if this is important for Skyrim, but I know some other games have issues with certain GPUs which need updates to sort them out. So which GPU brands;Gforce, Radeon etc; are know for good continual support?