Staff account compromise. What's happened and an apology.

Dark0ne

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sooo...yesterday i wanted to download a mod tht changes the way npc sit,when nmm started downloading it,my avast told tht they found a virus a¡and even nmm told me if i do want to open it,now every time i open nmm my avast pops up and tells me the same,i already deleted my nmm,but im afraid to open my skyrim...

btw...if i clicked something i nmm avast poped up too...

plzzzz....theres more mods that do this...fix them

Avast is throwing up false positives for NMM and automatically deleting .dll's NMM needs to run at the moment. There's nothing we can do about that.

sooo...yesterday i wanted to download a mod tht changes the way npc sit,when nmm started downloading it,my avast told tht they found a virus a¡and even nmm told me if i do want to open it,now every time i open nmm my avast pops up and tells me the same,i already deleted my nmm,but im afraid to open my skyrim...

btw...if i clicked something i nmm avast poped up too...

plzzzz....theres more mods that do this...fix them

Add it to Avasts exceptions or get a different AV, Avast has a ridiculously high rate of false positives in tests.

In response to post #16015875.

Avast! is working perfectly fine for me, and I mod the hell out of my games.

EDIT: Although I never scan my computer so. Yea. Plus if I do get a virus I can just plug in my external hdd with a clean OS and Malwarebytes and remove the virus. Edited by LordNature

You have to be careful who you sell advertising to... there's fake ad fly flash updaters that actually infect syswow64 on win7. these usually appear in cheesy sites like mediafire and 4shared.

as for the suggested virus scans, I prescribe combofix. it's free and it pretty much fixes everything virus-related. (win7 and below only)

I just wonder, with all the people using mod organizer daily, why the hacker didn't make the skyui file a newer version, so that when a person opened up the manager, that it would say that there is an update available for that mod, and when they updated, then they would download the virus, even if they already had skyui before the hack and weren't going to download it unless it were an update?

In response to post #15741120.

I know the feeling. There are some REALLY ignorant people out there.
I personally use combofix, SOME malwarebytes (haven't needed it for a while), adblock, noscript, and flash block.
There are some russian sites that will give you some crazy fbi virus... that was a NIGHTMARE.
seriously, though. People actually download music.mp3.exe

I also suggest that if it says "download with manager/accelerator" that you uncheck that EVERY TIME. almost ALWAYS a virus.

plus, if your search engine is something like conduit/gamewrangler (my mother's chromebook's first "virus")/some crazy european site, then combofix is probably a good option. also, check your control panel for things like "search protect"

other than that, don't download things like playpickle (for surveys, game currency, etc.)
don't click the big green flashing low res download button (that even says ilivid on the bottom in small print!)

always look for the crappy ye old internet download button that changes when you put your mouse over it and it grey with small text.

so many things to do to protect yourself,
and yet, people still depend on anti-virus to keep them out of trouble.
waste of space, ram, bandwidth, and money.

While combofix is a very good repair tool. It is not recommended for neophytes.

For those who are not sure, here is the official tutorial on how to use it. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

And that it specifically says

You should not run ComboFix unless you are specifically asked to by a helper. Also, due to the power of this tool it is strongly advised that you do not attempt to act upon any of the information displayed by ComboFix without supervision from someone who has been properly trained. If you do so, it may lead to problems with the normal functionality of your computer.

You have been warned, so please do not blame combofix if you do not follow this advice.