Nvidia gtx400

@cuda

-the only tool which i use, for which it might be interesting is photoshop and the performance of ps is not that bad without it either even if you work on a few square meter large pics and with heavy filter use

-it might be useful tho for scientific simulations and such but for games? well i dunno... not many actualy support it

@physics

-same as cuda (well its part of it), not that many support nvidias specific system and it only works with intel cpus,

-furthermore is directx11 supposed to take on that role in future applications,

-furtherfurthermore can you activate it on ati cards with custom made driver updates if you really want to

-game devs being reluctant to release hardware specific titles has been a problem so far for cuda and probably will become even more of a problem now that dx11 is out

@

480 vs 295

-the one chip 480 also uses just as much power as two chips from the former series... 300watt again... too much imo, a dual chip card with 480 chips would be overkill (500 watt?!?!?)

-the nvidia benchmarks for the 480 barely let it reign over the 5870 which uses 100 watt less, has much less bus and only 2/3rd of its VRAM, these benchmarks are also from nvidia and hence not trustworthy in any way, one must assume that it wont be that much faster

-if the performance is equal to the 295 then the 5970 from ati is superior, it also uses two chips just like 295 and also needs 300 watt but in comparision to the 480 it has 2x256bit busses which are probably faster than one 512bit bus or the 4xxbit of the 480, besides, benchmarks have shown the 5970 to be faster than the 295

@price

700$ for the 480 would be a good deal, the 5870 costs about the same atm, however if ati ever gets the waving process under control we will probably get the 5870 for less whilst nvidia still struggles to get theirs up and running

(tho they tend to hort stuff just to keep the market flooded before they release anything, however atm i dont see the 480 being released yet in the near future and they prolly cant create the chips yet as long as they are not fully developed anyway, hence the wavers are still waiting to start production, hence it will take some more month till we see any of these cards for sale... :/ )

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@cuda

-the only tool which i use, for which it might be interesting is photoshop and the performance of ps is not that bad without it either even if you work on a few square meter large pics and with heavy filter use

-it might be useful tho for scientific simulations and such but for games? well i dunno... not many actualy support it

@physics

-same as cuda (well its part of it), not that many support nvidias specific system and it only works with intel cpus,

-furthermore is directx11 supposed to take on that role in future applications,

-furtherfurthermore can you activate it on ati cards with custom made driver updates if you really want to

-game devs being reluctant to release hardware specific titles has been a problem so far for cuda and probably will become even more of a problem now that dx11 is out

@

480 vs 295

-the one chip 480 also uses just as much power as two chips from the former series... 300watt again... too much imo, a dual chip card with 480 chips would be overkill (500 watt?!?!?)

-the nvidia benchmarks for the 480 barely let it reign over the 5870 which uses 100 watt less, has much less bus and only 2/3rd of its VRAM, these benchmarks are also from nvidia and hence not trustworthy in any way, one must assume that it wont be that much faster

-if the performance is equal to the 295 then the 5970 from ati is superior, it also uses two chips just like 295 and also needs 300 watt but in comparision to the 480 it has 2x256bit busses which are probably faster than one 512bit bus or the 4xxbit of the 480, besides, benchmarks have shown the 5970 to be faster than the 295

@price

700$ for the 480 would be a good deal, the 5870 costs about the same atm, however if ati ever gets the waving process under control we will probably get the 5870 for less whilst nvidia still struggles to get theirs up and running

(tho they tend to hort stuff just to keep the market flooded before they release anything, however atm i dont see the 480 being released yet in the near future and they prolly cant create the chips yet as long as they are not fully developed anyway, hence the wavers are still waiting to start production, hence it will take some more month till we see any of these cards for sale... :/ )

The thread does not claims comparing AMD/ATI x Nvidia.

The two companies are developing in distinct way, each with it's own pros and cons. For example the 5xxx series present above thousand stream processors while the gf100/300 focus is on multipurpose OpenCL/CUDA processors. Yet the Fermi architecture does not just doubles the processors number, it proves a better integration among them with a better structured cache system.

I'll not hurry to buy the next videocard, the one I have now is enough for everything I currently play and most of games I can play in the native monitor resolution (1920 x 1080) without problems.

Still one primary reason for my last hardware upgrade was I could not support the former nforce based motherboard anymore, with so many hard disc issues. So I bought an ATI based A790GXM AD3 "crossfire" ready, what is an incentive to go ATI next time (Albeit ATI drivers for Linux are less than satisfactory, the primary reason I preferred nvidia until now).

PS: It's just my own opinion, but it seems Nvidia is aiming at massive parallel processing applications instead the game's market, without losing the foot on it, of course.

Woot found some actual footage of the gtx480 in action, take a look.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>&rel=1">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

its real folks :thumbsup:

Duh I'm going to need a new Monitor for this awesome card :biggrin: .

found it here

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/06/nvidia-...ti-hd-5870-per/

Woot found some actual footage of the gtx480 in action, take a look.

See this is what I'm talking about with nvidia...they benchmark their latest highend against the 5870, which isn't the latest ATi highend (the 5970 is and has been for a while) and expect us to not notice. We're not idiots!

Cool tech demo though :D

See this is what I'm talking about with nvidia...they benchmark their latest highend against the 5870, which isn't the latest ATi highend (the 5970 is and has been for a while) and expect us to not notice. We're not idiots!

AHA!!

Nvidia is falling into the trap of expecting consumers to be idiots.

Seen no end of announcements lately (many other companies) where if you look closely the announcement simply announces that the product being announced is . . . announcing itself to be misrepresented.

Yes, product announcements that prominently declare themselves to be sub-standard.

I don't really care if the card is a bit slower as long it supports dx11, I'm all for it. Its cheaper to get a single gtx480, because my board is a certified nvidia board, meaning it only supports nvidia. Having to get a new motherboard just to get a the latest ati card is out of the question right now.

What? You can use an ATI card with any recent motherboard. You couldn't run them in crossfire, but from what I see, crossfire (and SLI) aren't a silver bullet for every game on the market anyway. Price on the 480 is still getting picked out of thin air, nobody knows a concrete figure. Come to think of it, nearly everything currently published about these GPUs is rumor. I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket for a video card, and I certainly wouldn't rule out getting a Radeon HD5 series card altogether.

What? You can use an ATI card with any recent motherboard. You couldn't run them in crossfire, but from what I see, crossfire (and SLI) aren't a silver bullet for every game on the market anyway. Price on the 480 is still getting picked out of thin air, nobody knows a concrete figure. Come to think of it, nearly everything currently published about these GPUs is rumor. I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket for a video card, and I certainly wouldn't rule out getting a Radeon HD5 series card altogether.

Hmm i am not biased in anyway, but that can be a option, I will wait though just to see what comes around, who knows invidia may surprise us all.

Here is the confirmed specs for the gtx480, apparently only needs a 320watt psu :thumbsup:

http://www.techspot.com/news/38297-nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-and-470-specs-emerge.html

1,848MHz for the core :thumbsup:

Edited by Thor.