Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Mattiewagg

I don't know where you got that. I have used that mod and it didn't change any city names oO.

Quick question:

Is it safe to rename scripts? Is there something to keep in mind? Would it break the previous install? e.g. I want to update a mod, but most scripts start with aa* and I realize now that that isn't the most helpful combination of letters.

It seemed safe with fragments (with the rename feature) but what about scripts attached to objects etc. ?

It's fine for the scripts though any scripts referencing your script by name must be changed.

You have to rename the name of the PSC file, then the PEX file, and then the Scriptname in the PSC and recompile.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fine for the scripts though any scripts referencing your script by name must be changed.

You have to rename the name of the PSC file, then the PEX file, and then the Scriptname in the PSC and recompile.

edit: nevermind I got it.

Thank you very much.

Edited by BigBizkit

I don't know where you got that. I have used that mod and it didn't change any city names oO.

Quick question:

Is it safe to rename scripts? Is there something to keep in mind? Would it break the previous install? e.g. I want to update a mod, but most scripts start with aa* and I realize now that that isn't the most helpful combination of letters.

It seemed safe with fragments (with the rename feature) but what about scripts attached to objects etc. ?

If I understand correctly, BigBizkit, you were asking about renaming scripts for when you release a new mod update? The wiki save file page talks about the way functions, variables, properties, etc are updated when you update a script that already in a save game. I don't imagine this would happen if the script name changed (since the name creates the object itself, and changing the name makes a different object). Scripts attached to object references also continue running even if the mod is uninstalled and the script deleted. If you have any of these, you could end up in a situation where both your old script and your renamed script ran side by side.

Quick question:

Pretty sure this will utterly wreck any games that you have going with a previous install. The name is how the engine identifies the script, so any objects you have previously encountered will now have the same script attached to them twice, with two different names. Any updates or other events you are currently registered for will fire both the new script and the old script's events. If you do it with any spell abilities or spells otherwise currently applied to an object you'll just get madness.

Sometimes it's just got to be done. I've had to do it before myself for basically the same reason. Definitely tell your users to only update when starting a new game though.

There's multiple complaints of city names changing languages. The author released updated versions that supposedly fixed it.

so it's definitely the mod causing it. I just can't find other way to keep the weather clear permanently, other than that mod.

Another question: What is needed to change the appearance of a custom follow mod in the Creation Kit?

For example, I'm trying to change the hair of the "Toccata" follower mod to Apachii hair. I can change the hair, but changing anything about the appearance in the CK results in a totally different darker face. The "Ctrl+F4" export doesn't work here - that makes the face lighter, but it's still the wrong face.

How do I keep the original appearance other than the hair? Is there a step I'm missing in loading the mods in the CK?

I am a Mod Organizer user, and I am opening the CK through MO, but that's not helping.

Edit: here's an example of the errors that pop up: http://i.imgur.com/ygI9q1d.png

Edited by kmfdm515

I'm using the GlobalVariable GameDay and Mod()ing it in a script. However, while it changes the day number, it won't change the actual Day name (Sundas, Mundas, etc.).

How can I do this? So if I Mod the Global, it should also cycle to the next day in that array of days? Is there an easy function or do I have to set up an array and use some other function to set the current name of the day? If so, what's that function?

(Multiple questions!)

Another question: What is needed to change the appearance of a custom follow mod in the Creation Kit?

For example, I'm trying to change the hair of the "Toccata" follower mod to Apachii hair. I can change the hair, but changing anything about the appearance in the CK results in a totally different darker face. The "Ctrl+F4" export doesn't work here - that makes the face lighter, but it's still the wrong face.

How do I keep the original appearance other than the hair? Is there a step I'm missing in loading the mods in the CK?

I am a Mod Organizer user, and I am opening the CK through MO, but that's not helping.

Edit: here's an example of the errors that pop up: http://i.imgur.com/ygI9q1d.png

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Adding_a_Follower_NPC_to_Skyrim#Create_the_NPC.27s_appearance ?