Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Mattiewagg

Does anyone know if it is possible to use this method (http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php?title=Using_a_face_made_with_Chargen_Extension_on_an_NPC_for_Skyrim) to change not only NPC faces, but their bodies as well, including with additional non-vanilla sliders?

If not, how would i accomplish that?

Edited by SirSaltyPretzels

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actor skins are a type of armor. Armor addons contain mesh and texture data. Where you see the filepath to the mesh, click "Select" and a new window will pop up. You can change the texture of individual parts of the mesh for that particular armor addon.

Thank you, I would have NEVER have thought of that... So thanks so much, I can now have horses with pretty manes of my choosing :D

Giving up on that one.... Doesn't matter what I do, if I put the follower in an alias on another quest to do the walking beside, they flip out. Rarely do they stay to the side like they should. If I use the original version that edited the follower quest directly, they still have quirks but behave way much better. So I'm not going to mess with it and as a result, don't need to figure it out. :tongue:

Anyway... new question....

Decided to make my own quest to give markers for the dragon priest masks (first sequence quest ever). The mod that is out there is conflicting with USLEEP. I'd rather build new than try to patch the existing.

I'm a little stumped on where it is failing. I put a trigger box around the altar. Player enters, if the quest isn't running, it starts and sets stage 0. The quest is flagged as a side quest but nothing ever appears on screen to indicate that it started. Also, I can't seem to get stage 10 to go. I pick up the conditioned item... GetItemCount on the base object, player picks up the reference and it *should* work. Right? Do I need to do a SetStage(10) in stage 0's script fragment first before it will look at 10?

So confused cause the tutorials I read only seem to be doing SetObjectiveDisplayed and SetObjectiveCompleted.

So two questions here really.

1. How to get it to flash up on screen that X quest has started?

2. How to transition from stage to stage?

Flow should be:

Player enters trigger box -- quest starts

Player picks up wooden mask -- quest advances, tells player to find the other masks

Player finds other masks and has them all on person -- quest advances, tells player to return to altar

Player returns to altar -- quest ends with a cliff hanger because the next part is the pre-existing hidden part where player equips wooden mask, etc...

1. In order for "X quest has started" to appear, you'll need to have a quest objective (and possibly also a journal entry) for the corresponding stage. If you don't have an objective associated with the stage, then the quest started message will not appear. From what I read, you seem to be doing alright, as you need to do SetObjectiveDisplayed and SetObjectiveCompleted.
2. <quest>.setstage( ) is your friend to transition from stage to stage. It's most commonly used in dialogue trees and through custom scripts. A small tip (if you didn't know already) is that you don't need to write a custom script for every trigger, as there are a lot of "default" scripts that handle altering quest stages.
How are you testing the quest? Do you have a save game next to the quest site with the trigger and altar? Stuff tends to not work if you do it from a save file. There's methods to get around this, but my preferred method is to enter the COC command from the main menu to the cell where the quest is (i.e. COC QuestLocation). I've known people who were wondering why their script didn't work, only to find out that their testing method was to blame. It's highly likely that your quest doesn't work because of this.

So the quest won't show as started until it hits an actual objective to perform? This means the quest could be half over before it lets the player know it is running.

So use SetStage() to advance from stage to stage. It isn't done automatically when the conditions are correct?

As far as testing, since the location is in the open world, I use COC from the main menu and go to the nearest "safe" indoor location and run to the spot.

Are you referring to the Conditions table in the Quest Stages tab? It isn't something you use to determine when quests need to advance from stage, but to determine whether a stage needs to applied when called with SetStage().

In your case, you'll need to apply a script containing an event with the SetStage() when the wooden mask is picked up by the player, as well as tracking if the player has all masks needed in their inventory for them to trigger the stage for them to return to the altar.

I'm a step ahead of you... We will see how it goes. Already got the quest to display as started to the player. Working on getting the next stage to show.

Good to know :D Tell me if everything works out :smile:

Ran into a snag. I decided not to point my aliases to the masks themselves because doing so made some of the priests persistent. Not wanting any issues to arise, I chose to put an xMarker on the sarcophagus for each priest and I point to those. If I make an objective for each mask, they will properly clear when added to player inventory. But if I make a single objective for all of the masks, the floating markers will keep pointing until ALL the masks have been obtained. I want to keep my list of objectives short and simple. Any thoughts?

Would the added persistence to the priests be an issue?

Haven't really worked with altering vanilla content (that's what you're doing, right? Collecting all dragon priest masks?), so I can't comment on whether persistence will be an issue. It's preferable to have the alias pointing towards the mask, considering that players should still be able to drop those in the case they could potentially lose them *unless they're marked as quest item, ofc). A large amount of objectives is unwieldy, but the player should be able to track their progress in their journal.

However, if you go with a single objective, you could choose to simply not point your quest marker to the location of every mask and have players go out and search for them on their own (because you don't need to handhold the players all the way, y'know?). You can divide the quest up in stages based on the amount of masks the player has in their inventory, and update it every time a mask is picked up/dropped.

Journal entry: "I need to collect the masks of all dragon priests. I currently possess 8 out of 10 masks."

Objective: "Collect all ten dragon priest masks."

Does anyone know if it is possible to use this method (http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php?title=Using_a_face_made_with_Chargen_Extension_on_an_NPC_for_Skyrim) to change not only NPC faces, but their bodies as well, including with additional non-vanilla sliders?

If not, how would i accomplish that?

This is what I use to create the appearances of my NPCs. Works like a charm :)

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/17018/?

Edited by Arcky

Giving up on that one.... Doesn't matter what I do, if I put the follower in an alias on another quest to do the walking beside, they flip out. Rarely do they stay to the side like they should. If I use the original version that edited the follower quest directly, they still have quirks but behave way much better. So I'm not going to mess with it and as a result, don't need to figure it out. :tongue:

Anyway... new question....

Decided to make my own quest to give markers for the dragon priest masks (first sequence quest ever). The mod that is out there is conflicting with USLEEP. I'd rather build new than try to patch the existing.

I'm a little stumped on where it is failing. I put a trigger box around the altar. Player enters, if the quest isn't running, it starts and sets stage 0. The quest is flagged as a side quest but nothing ever appears on screen to indicate that it started. Also, I can't seem to get stage 10 to go. I pick up the conditioned item... GetItemCount on the base object, player picks up the reference and it *should* work. Right? Do I need to do a SetStage(10) in stage 0's script fragment first before it will look at 10?

So confused cause the tutorials I read only seem to be doing SetObjectiveDisplayed and SetObjectiveCompleted.

So two questions here really.

1. How to get it to flash up on screen that X quest has started?

2. How to transition from stage to stage?

Flow should be:

Player enters trigger box -- quest starts

Player picks up wooden mask -- quest advances, tells player to find the other masks

Player finds other masks and has them all on person -- quest advances, tells player to return to altar

Player returns to altar -- quest ends with a cliff hanger because the next part is the pre-existing hidden part where player equips wooden mask, etc...

1. In order for "X quest has started" to appear, you'll need to have a quest objective (and possibly also a journal entry) for the corresponding stage. If you don't have an objective associated with the stage, then the quest started message will not appear. From what I read, you seem to be doing alright, as you need to do SetObjectiveDisplayed and SetObjectiveCompleted.
2. <quest>.setstage( ) is your friend to transition from stage to stage. It's most commonly used in dialogue trees and through custom scripts. A small tip (if you didn't know already) is that you don't need to write a custom script for every trigger, as there are a lot of "default" scripts that handle altering quest stages.
How are you testing the quest? Do you have a save game next to the quest site with the trigger and altar? Stuff tends to not work if you do it from a save file. There's methods to get around this, but my preferred method is to enter the COC command from the main menu to the cell where the quest is (i.e. COC QuestLocation). I've known people who were wondering why their script didn't work, only to find out that their testing method was to blame. It's highly likely that your quest doesn't work because of this.

So the quest won't show as started until it hits an actual objective to perform? This means the quest could be half over before it lets the player know it is running.

So use SetStage() to advance from stage to stage. It isn't done automatically when the conditions are correct?

As far as testing, since the location is in the open world, I use COC from the main menu and go to the nearest "safe" indoor location and run to the spot.

Are you referring to the Conditions table in the Quest Stages tab? It isn't something you use to determine when quests need to advance from stage, but to determine whether a stage needs to applied when called with SetStage().

In your case, you'll need to apply a script containing an event with the SetStage() when the wooden mask is picked up by the player, as well as tracking if the player has all masks needed in their inventory for them to trigger the stage for them to return to the altar.

I'm a step ahead of you... We will see how it goes. Already got the quest to display as started to the player. Working on getting the next stage to show.

Good to know :D Tell me if everything works out :smile:

Ran into a snag. I decided not to point my aliases to the masks themselves because doing so made some of the priests persistent. Not wanting any issues to arise, I chose to put an xMarker on the sarcophagus for each priest and I point to those. If I make an objective for each mask, they will properly clear when added to player inventory. But if I make a single objective for all of the masks, the floating markers will keep pointing until ALL the masks have been obtained. I want to keep my list of objectives short and simple. Any thoughts?

Would the added persistence to the priests be an issue?

Haven't really worked with altering vanilla content (that's what you're doing, right? Collecting all dragon priest masks?), so I can't comment on whether persistence will be an issue. It's preferable to have the alias pointing towards the mask, considering that players should still be able to drop those in the case they could potentially lose them *unless they're marked as quest item, ofc). A large amount of objectives is unwieldy, but the player should be able to track their progress in their journal.

However, if you go with a single objective, you could choose to simply not point your quest marker to the location of every mask and have players go out and search for them on their own (because you don't need to handhold the players all the way, y'know?). You can divide the quest up in stages based on the amount of masks the player has in their inventory, and update it every time a mask is picked up/dropped.

Journal entry: "I need to collect the masks of all dragon priests. I currently possess 8 out of 10 masks."

Objective: "Collect all ten dragon priest masks."

The point is, to have the pointers... If I left it all up to the player to find on their own, why do it at all? The game already has the player figure out how to do it all on their own.

Its one of those tedious "quests" that for those who are sick of hunting all over or can't remember where to go, having pointers would be good.

So what I've settled on is having the pointer in the general location so that the player knows where to go in the open world but once they get near to the location the pointer goes away and they are left on their own to figure out how to get the priest to "wake up" so they can obtain the mask. I don't really like all the objective entries but it can't be helped...

I have some LCTN records in my mod, probably because i have used Location Ref on some objects earlier on, but these are deleted now. Also I have some xmarkers that act as parents to objects in many cells, these seem to be listed in the LCTN sub-records as well.

I could see a lot of stuff that seemed wrong in the LCTN records, so as a test i deleted the LCTN records entirely from the mod, tested it for errors in the CK, Tes5Edit and finally the game, no errors seem to occur and scripts and everything run on their parents like they should. For me it looks fine, but just wanted to know if others have done the same as me and experienced problems afterwards?

Tried for example to do some minior editing to a location by adding a new xmarker as parent with a few children attatched to it, but it does not seem to make a location record in the mod by doing so. I have made this mod over the years, so it probably had some wild edits in the LCTN data, so deleting it would for sure be the easiest way to clean it out, but i want to use caution.

Thanks.

OK, I'm trying to make a simple skooma recipe in the Creation Kit. Thought it'd be a piece of cake, but it's not working.

In the "Created Object" bar I have skooma selected

In the "Required Item List" I have 1 nightshade and 1 moon sugar

In the "Workbench Keyword" i have the isAlchemy option selected (I'm betting this is the problem, but I don't know what the right option is)

I thought that would allow me to create skooma at an alchemy lab using 1 moon sugar and one nightshade, but I guess not, when I try it keeps telling me the potion was a disaster. I can't imagine I'm missing anything complicated, any help would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

OK, I'm trying to make a simple skooma recipe in the Creation Kit. Thought it'd be a piece of cake, but it's not working.

In the "Workbench Keyword" i have the isAlchemy option selected (I'm betting this is the problem, but I don't know what the right option is)

I thought that would allow me to create skooma at an alchemy lab using 1 moon sugar and one nightshade, but I guess not, when I try it keeps telling me the potion was a disaster. I can't imagine I'm missing anything complicated, any help would be much appreciated! Thanks :smile:

Alchemy labs use a different process to creating items than say the cook pot, smelter, forge, tanning rack. The items used in the Alchemy lab need to have matching effects in order for something to be created. Your recipe would work if you changed the keyword to point to the cook pot and used that instead of the alchemy lab. If you really want to use an alchemy lab, you can create a custom workstation using the alchemy lab model (takes a little work as you have to duplicate the base and edit out some keywords and put in your own custom keywords, but doable).

I thought that would allow me to create skooma at an alchemy lab using 1 moon sugar and one nightshade, but I guess not, when I try it keeps telling me the potion was a disaster. I can't imagine I'm missing anything complicated, any help would be much appreciated! Thanks :smile:

Alchemy labs use a different process to creating items than say the cook pot, smelter, forge, tanning rack. The items used in the Alchemy lab need to have matching effects in order for something to be created. Your recipe would work if you changed the keyword to point to the cook pot and used that instead of the alchemy lab. If you really want to use an alchemy lab, you can create a custom workstation using the alchemy lab model (takes a little work as you have to duplicate the base and edit out some keywords and put in your own custom keywords, but doable).

Thank you so much, got it working just fine!

• 2 weeks later...