What do you want in a new overhaul mod?

Arrogancy

I'm pretty sure that Dwarven armor was made by the Dwemer. I mean there's a full set found in Dwemer ruins, and the guards say "Dwarven make, am I right?". And there's the quest where the Dwemer artifact makes your Dwemer armor better. Do you have a source?

I don't want to put Steel Plate into standard because it LOOKS very strong. Scale I would be ok moving down if there was an alternative light armor (say from a mod) that I could put on the stronger vanilla Nord bandits, who obviously shouldn't be wearing elven armor (there are not a lot of light armor sets in this game). They won't have special abilities, though. Dremora will not drop Daedric armor; just the hearts. You will be able to get it from the Atronach forge, though. Stalrihm will not initially be for sale, but you can buy it after completing the New Source of Stalrihm quest.

Here's what we're currently working with for bonuses.

Advanced Armors

Elven: Reduces spellcasting penalties

Orcish: As effective as secret-tier armor when used by orcs

Wolf Armor: Full exposure protection.

Blades Armor: Slightly better armor than other advanced armors. Weighs very little.

Falmer: Reduced sneak penalty. (Thanks morganfinn)

Nordic Carved: Full exposure protection. Bonus to magic resistance.

Vampire Armor: Bonus to sneak and magic resistance. (Stronger than the others, because vampires wear it)

Secret Armors

Ebony: ??? (I don't want to put something as strong as magic resistance on Secret-tier armor)

Glass: ??? (I don't really like move speed. Why be faster than wearing no armor?)

Dwemer: With "Ancient Knowledge" quest, almost as strong as Epic armor. This will be a much harder quest.

Better Falmer: Less sneak penalty (heavy), doesn't interfere with spellcasting (light)

Dawnguard: Reduces damage from vampires.

Epic Armors

Stalrihm: Full Exposure protection. Bonus frost resistance.

Daedric: Health bonus.

Dragon: ???? (I don't want to just make shouting better)

Ebony: Is it possible to increase weapon damage by a small percent? When you swing a weapon and you're encased in ebony, there's likely more power behind your swing due to the amount of effort you have to put into swinging the weapon, but there will also be more force behind the weapon because it's ebony, and very heavy and strong. It's not incredibly logical, but the best I could think of.

Glass: Not sure. I kind of want to do something with the sun, but not sure what yet.

Dragon: ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I'd like to avoid giving any of the armors a DPS boost for balance reasons - it doesn't take many perks to get any of the Secret tier armors to hit the damage cap, and with effort you can probably even get the Advanced tier pretty close. Giving a DPS enhancer to any of them would almost certainly make that armor the most optimal, which would be undesirable.

At the moment I'm thinking that Ebony could reduce the spellcasting penalty (heavy armors retain some penalty even with all the perks). Health in retrospect is probably too strong to put on Daedric; I'll probably relegate it to fire resistance. I'm still not sure what to do for Dragon. I'm considering just going ahead and giving it something optimal, like magic resistance or extra damage reduction. It's dragon armor, and it requires its own perk - I think I'd be ok with it being the best.

Still not sure what to do for Glass. Maybe nothing - it's the only Secret Tier light armor that doesn't have any enchantments already. That's sort of useful all by itself.

So, I'd like to avoid giving any of the armors a DPS boost for balance reasons - it doesn't take many perks to get any of the Secret tier armors to hit the damage cap, and with effort you can probably even get the Advanced tier pretty close. Giving a DPS enhancer to any of them would almost certainly make that armor the most optimal, which would be undesirable.

At the moment I'm thinking that Ebony could reduce the spellcasting penalty (heavy armors retain some penalty even with all the perks). Health in retrospect is probably too strong to put on Daedric; I'll probably relegate it to fire resistance. I'm still not sure what to do for Dragon. I'm considering just going ahead and giving it something optimal, like magic resistance or extra damage reduction. It's dragon armor, and it requires its own perk - I think I'd be ok with it being the best.

Still not sure what to do for Glass. Maybe nothing - it's the only Secret Tier light armor that doesn't have any enchantments already. That's sort of useful all by itself.

Indeed. That makes sense.

Looking at your spreadsheet, I really like the whole Potential tree. Is there anything there regarding quest markers or something? Maybe a perk that will allow you to have your compass or have quest markers but have them disabled by default? (Though some people would hate having that taken away... So maybe not)

I am not saying that the original dwemer armors weren´t made by the dwemer themselves, I mean naturally they were, but the current dwemer armors used in game? Yes some definitely, after all the dwemer constructs also still work. But as the PC also can craft them so would other smiths as well thus the dwemer armors are forged in the picture of dwemer armors, but we don´t have a difference between ancient dwemer armor, which could be looted in the ruins and newly smithed ones created by modern beings.

I agree that the dragon armor should not be about a shout bonus but how about a shout resistence as an armor forged out of the dovs bones it would be fitting? - an anti dragon armor thus a viable alternative to the daedric if you let the daedric armor have the higher stat.

What are better falmer armors? - ancient or modern?

"Raw ebony is one of the most precious substances in the Empire, and most of the continent's deposits are here on Vvardenfell. Raw ebony itself is an extremely hard, durable, black glass-like substance, said to be the crystalized blood of the gods. Raw ebony is protected by Imperial law, and may not be mined or exported without an Imperial charter. Ebony smuggling is a profitable but dangerous source of illegal wealth on Vvardenfell." ― Dialogue [2] -http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Raw_Ebony Sounds strong :ohmy: and as you already want to put magic resistence on the nordic carved armor, which also uses ebony ingots it would be a correlated effect. Alternatively: resistance to special magic schools, aka destruction etc, if its possible: reduced damage from enchanted weapons? reduced arrow damage? stagger resistence? How about an mcm option were everyone can decide for himself what kind of boons each armor will have-sorry if that would be a crazy amount of work.

The glass armor would offer protection, probably less than the other of is tier, since hey it´s glass!, but still be very light thus it offers protection far more than clothes but would still offer good movement speed - good for hit and run tactics and players that want to overwhelm with speed yet still need the protection of armor.

Another possible boon of an armor could be poison resistance, or if possible to programm against special weapon types and other materials.

f.ex.: steel strong or weak against moostone / iron armor good against blunt weapons - just examples

Edited by monganfinn

I have now that you have mentioned it. My hopes, they are not high.

It's not necessarily bad... I just think yours has more potential. Especially since you're taking suggestions from others.

Now a mod that is very much worth looking at (though not directly related to this): Clicky