Very slow on gtx295 sometimes 10FPS

romeck

Hi there, as clean install fallout go smooth . but as power card ( 1 y ago) i thought 295 could run easily som gfx modification :) ) so i tweaked ini a lot to add distance view and so on, and add 140mods ( quest, big NMC textures, balance and so on) below list of mods.

Now is it CPU or GPU fault ?

CPU : E8600@ 4.3

GPU: GTX295 @ 640

im going to change gfx to 480sli but still wonder about changing CPU since it seems that Fallout do not support 4Core CPUs??

Fallout3.esm

CRAFT.esm

ThePitt.esm

BrokenSteel.esm

CALIBR.esm

HairPack.esm

20th Century Weapons.esm

Mart's Mutant Mod.esm

MMZombieCemeteryV0.14.esm

FOOK.esm

FakePatch_v1.5.0.22.ESM

SeducingWomen.esm

ArefuExpandedByAzar.esm

Malos_Arena_EV.esm

StreetLights.esm

Project Beauty HD version.esm

VATS_Normal_dmg_to_player.esp

ShadySands.esp

CRAFT - Activation Perk.esp

lo-fi_levellists.esp

lo-fi_solidworld.esp

eyes_hairpack_en.esp

hair_add_npc.esp

Josef Greys Kozaburo Hair Style for Fallout 3.esp

GatlingLaserDX.esp

bittercup_comp.esp

eye_hair_en.esp

Water Bottles 3000.esp

OverMightyGold.esp

Rename Items.esp

FatMine.esp

Item Descriptions Img.esp

BetterPerks.esp

UPP - Pack 1.esp

UPP - Original Perks.esp

UPP - Beverage Perks.esp

UPP - Quest Perks.esp

UPP - Experience Perks.esp

XFO_Perk_paths.esp

Navik_Perk_Package.esp

AweomePerkPack.esp

UPP - Pack 2.esp

VDSP-01.esp

FleshBurningPlasma.esp

Burnification.esp

dD-Larger Blood.esp

Deadly Mines.esp

NotSoFast.esp

Rivens_Eyescapes.esp

Treasure Maps_Underground.esp

SOL.esp

mein_erstes_mal.esp

SniperZooming.esp

Weapon Master.esp

Darkness.esp

bigtownupgrade.esp

20th Century EVIL (Light).esp

FOOK.esp

FOOK - Strength Requirements for Miniguns, Gatlings, 20mm Flak.esp

FOOK - Enclave Commander.esp

FOOK - Additional Power Armor Training.esp

FOOK - Test Container.esp

FOOK - Reduced Armor Boni.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod.esp

MTC Wasteland Travellers.esp

MTC Wasteland Travellers (Optional)- Crowded Cities less NPCs.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - Increased Increased Spawns.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - Feral Ghoul Rampage.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - Hunting & Looting.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - Tougher Traders.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - Natural Selection.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - FOOK.esp

Phalanx-MainFollowerModule.esp

Phalanx-Obedient-Dogmeat.esp

Phalanx-OPTIONAL-WeaponChange.esp

Phalanx-BrokenSteel-Integration.esp

Phalanx-PerksAndStims.esp

FreePlayAfterMQ_V05.esp

FOOK - Tougher Enemies.esp

RaidersRedoneModular01.esp

WastelandMastery.esp

Nano Alpha.esp

Backpedal.esp

actionpointratedouble.esp

VatsLongerDistance.esp

MaxLevelWorkaround-HP.esp

Sprint Mod.esp

playbackdelay_001.esp

Fast VATS 2.esp

Headshot_Balance.esp

VATS - MCE.esp

ACE2.0b.esp

FallDamage101.esp

Tri-Laser Fix.esp

RaiderMercenaryExpanded[MMM].esp

HelmetLight.esp

lo-fi_combat_x3.esp

GNR Fix.esp

Radiation Glow and Mutation 1 eng.esp

Energy skill Gatling Laser.esp

Action_Boy_hacking.esp

SkillCheck.esp

NCHiddenSKillChecks.esp

Deathclaw Mod.esp

Sensible Dismemberment Lite.esp

MTC RadAwayFix for Enhanced Weather - Rain.esp

MTC DoctorsFix for Enhanced Weather - Rain.esp

harderbarter.esp

XFO_Sneak_Rebalance_mild.esp

FTE.esp

SuperMutantsTweakedv02.esp

Bobbleheads Begone.esp

ClassicCarryWeight.esp

Longer Days & Shorter Nights.esp

lofi_creature_x3.esp

weather_1.esp

35lev.esp

Closer to Classics - Hitpoints.esp

Less Skill Points.esp

HeirApparent.esp

FasterMorePowerfulMines.esp

FWE_02_COMBAT_II.esp

Combat Enhanced-Tactics.esp

KarmaThreshold1010.esp

KarmaStealIncrease1010.esp

KarmaNormal1010.esp

Ks_DynamicSneak.esp

TAG.esp

30-Day-Respawn.esp

TenpennyGhoulsAtPeace.esp

MMM- Mutants and monster perk addon for RC1.11.esp

Magic Pip-Light (60 Brightness).esp

Colossus Outcast.esp

colossus BOS.esp

StreetLights - Wasteland.esp

SeducedDLC03.esp

Xepha's Darker Nights.esp

GStealth AI.esp

ArefuExpandedByAzar-Radio.esp

rockville.esp

PB MMM HD.esp

Project Beauty- Broken Steel.esp

FOIL Less Loot Ammo.esp

EVE.esp

Total active plugins: 144

Total plugins: 144

I don't really know the answer to your hardware question. Does Fallout 3 run fast enough without the mods?

I am curious if it is necessary to run FreePlayAfterMQ_V05.esp when you are using Broken Steel. Doesn't Broken Steel extend gameplay beyond the Main Quest by itself?

That FPS is way too low for your system. How much RAM do you have?

Run the game for 30 minutes and then check all the core system temps (CPU, GPU, Northbridge) and insure no overheating is occuring. My heatsink got dislodged from the CPU a few months back; it wasn't enough to shutdown the PC but the temps were so high the CPU was being automatically throttled, without telling me, to stop overheating and was giving me terrible FPS in video games.

How consistent is the low fps condition? If it only happens occasionally try Fallout Stutter Remover.

And Fallout 3 has no problem at all utilizing all four of my Phenom's cores.

It's not the mods amount, it's just the engine demands grows exponentially without respective visual enhancement to compensate for it.

The solution is fairly simple: delete your ini file and let the game rebuild it. Put AA and AF at reasonable values and you'll be able to run Fallout 3 (as with Oblivion too) even in higher screen resolutions.

Long ago some benchmarks where done which showed that engine slows to a craw when some limits are surpassed, remember it is a fairly old engine that lacks too many newer features, it's not even optimized to run multi core CPUs and it is not the best for SLI/Crossfire experience.

Just remember increasing some parameters above the limits will not better the visual output at all and still will put a heavy toll at the processing, that game is tightly limited on memory usage and already prone to memory leaking here and there, it does not need much user's help to go wrong.

PS: just a note for curiosity sake. About the multi core issue, Fallout 3 is yet worse than Oblivion in this aspect.

Edit for general comment: Many people that buys great machines faithfully believe that sheer power is enough to make a truck fly.

i supose that its not overheating couse that low fps come just in some places like near junkyard. or on the Rivet city entrance on the bridge as i look to the left it go to 5 FPS do not why couse there is nothing special in that direction. In megaton stable 80FPS , in some other areas out of the city about 40. but when i have many foe on screen (20 and more) there is slowdown .

I have 8GB and mod that i can use more than 3.2 GB

and game seldom go above 3GB ram.

i supose that its not overheating couse that low fps come just in some places like near junkyard. or on the Rivet city entrance on the bridge as i look to the left it go to 5 FPS do not why couse there is nothing special in that direction. In megaton stable 80FPS , in some other areas out of the city about 40. but when i have many foe on screen (20 and more) there is slowdown .

I have 8GB and mod that i can use more than 3.2 GB

and game seldom go above 3GB ram.

Nothing to do with overheating. It probably has nothing to do with your machine power, probably nothing to do with the way it's configured. It's a specific game engine limitation. You can't just force it to use more than it is designed to use does not matter if your system allows.

So, going beyond the 'optimal' engine's values gives you just sorrows. It's a Gaussian curve, it resembles a bell, the optimal value is it's top, behind and ahead there is just performance loss. Follow the tweak guidances, you'll find many good advices here

Edit: That game has a serious issue with sound, yes you read right. Onboard sound is not good for games albeit being more than enough to movies and media playing.

Just for experience sake try disabling the sound (in the ini file) at those locations... if your FPS skyrocket you'll know where to look.

Here are my Slow Game suggestions

http://tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=255

Maybe there is something in them that may help.

@Noisab: Sometimes sheer power is enough to make a truck fly. I know because I worked with the F4 Phantom. Without it's engines it flew like a brick. But add those two huge J79 engines and it was an extremely fast brick - but still a brick. :tongue:

Here are my Slow Game suggestions

http://tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=255

Maybe there is something in them that may help.

@Noisab: Sometimes sheer power is enough to make a truck fly. I know because I worked with the F4 Phantom. Without it's engines it flew like a brick. But add those two huge J79 engines and it was an extremely fast brick - but still a brick. :tongue:

On a second thought... you right :biggrin:

Still my post's purpose was advising against blindly increasing parameters at the game's ini. above the engine optimal values nothing more can be done other than enhancing the engine itself. Some actions stated in the OP let clear where the problems arises...

The OP actually pointed out one main problem, the engine has a RAM usage limit well under his machine can supply, so increasing some parameters will just turn the whole thing unpredictable and indeed slow or even stall, instead forcing the game to use the machine resources to the max.

Resuming: in this specific case the bottleneck is in the application itself and not in the machine. The only case I can imagine such monster running Fallout 3 beneath playable FPS fall into a messed ini (or as stated before, sound issue).