Steam, Direct2Drive, or DVD?

martinthemage

63 members have voted

1. 1. How do you purchase games?

• I use Steam
    • I use Direct2Drive
    • I buy the DVD
    • I buy games online some other way

I vastly prefer DVD, and intend to buy the DVD for New Vegas rather than buy it directly through Steam even though the DVD version will be the same and still require Steam. My DVD drive is faster than my download rate, for one. Also, I like having the box. Your average game box makes a very nice portable container for optical discs. :biggrin:

I do not plan on ever using Direct2Drive unless I really want whatever it is and D2D is the only way to get it. I'll go to online stores like Amazon, NewEgg, or even fleabay or craigslist before I go D2D. This is mainly because the D2D version of Fallout 3 is utterly incompatible with FOSE because of D2D's DRM. Any DRM that cripples things like that I want no part of.

Personally, I fall down all over myself to support local merchants when it comes to buying any game - you know, keep your money in your hometown (if you don't support your local merchants they will go away). True, most of the stores I frequent are chains (GameStop and the like), but I do like to look the person in the eye and ask questions about what I am buying - even though you don't always get the answer you need or worse, the wrong information. For instance, when I bought Oblivion I asked the guy at GameStop "Will it play on Vista?" he didn't know, and I got it anyway (I had it on my 360, so I knew what to expect). I couldn't get it to play because my computer didn't have the oomph or hardware to play Oblivion and for the longest time I thought it was just Vista giving me grief. A bunch of upgrades later (video card, more RAM, etc), I only play Oblivion on PC.

Now Direct to Drive I have never ordered a game from but I can't quite bring myself to trust them completely. I know their downloads are going to be 100% safe (you are paying for the game - they better be safe). But I always find myself wondering "what happens if the hard drive crashed and I loose everything?". Besides, I like to have a hard copy in my hands.

To ME, the absolute DUMBEST thing you can do is visit one of the Internet's many "crack" sites for a game. I work with people that, when you tell them you got a new PC game, they look at you like you just grew another head and will actually say, "Oh, you got "Game X" for the PC and paid money for it? Dude you're stupid, I can go to a "crack" site and download the game for free! I get all my games for free and only an idiot pays for PC games". Then they download a crack and a few days later they are crying and complaining because their "free game" came with a little something extra (read as TROJAN) and now they have to format their hard drive because they were too cheap/too stupid to actually pay for the game, like HONEST people do.

So I ask myself:

1) What way is the Safest way to get a game on my PC?

2) What way is the best way to make sure I can reinstall the game if my pc pops a squat/I upgrade to a new PC?

The answer to both points me to "Get the disc".

At least, that's MY take on things.

I prefer DVD for the nice box, but for very nice deals or games that you won't find on the shelves anymore, I use Steam.

Direct2Drive I never use. No intention of ever using it either, after hearing about modding related issues like how it doesn't allow stuff like OBSE for Oblivion.

And with the current summer sale Steam is having I'm definitely buying stuff. Got some FPS from 2003 called Chrome for 1 euro. I don't know if it's good, but it was 1 euro. So what the hell, why not. Also bought Cryostasis for 3 euros which looked fun, and The Witcher for 6 euros because I had been looking to get that one. Also bought the Overlord Complete Pack for 10 euros or so (66% off), something you won't find in stores.

The lack of a physical copy doesn't bother me if the deal is good.