Better [Papyrus] settings in INI

marat569

Hello, as far as I know Papyrus is script settings, and I have default settings. Is there a way to give more memory/priority/just better settings in general to the [Papyrus] section in my INI?

Here is how mine looks at the moment:

[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS = 800.0
bEnableLogging = 1
bEnableTrace = 1
bLoadDebugInformation = 1
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes = 2457600
iMaxMemoryPageSize = 512
fUpdateBudgetMS = 800.0

iMinMemoryPageSize = 256
Thanks!

I've been crashing since I've gotten Inigo, Cerwiden, and kFollowers.

I use UFO and got the Follower Compatibility mod.

Sometimes I load and it's a black screen, sometimes it's infinite load -- yet I've got the "OneTweak" mod that fixes it.

Here are some logs, they show some (a ton) of errors :o

Papyrus.2.log

http://paste.ubuntu.com/8972433/

Lots of stuff about DSR and my new followers :/

I thought about trying Cerwiden, but all the posts about her crashing the game turned me off. To answer your post, I've tried changing the budget times for Papyrus, but never saw any improvement, or detriment, to the way my game ran. As always with this sort of thing, your results may vary :)

Disabling logging is what gives you the smoother performance. People really shouldn't be trying to run the game with logging on for normal play.

Papyrus performance is linked to your framerate and giving the scripting system too many resources actually lowers your framerate so any tweaks to the INI values should be made in small increments.

Raising iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes above the default of 76800 is playing with fire. For the most part that just postpones and hides problems rather than fixes them. Instead of finding out you have a mod consuming too many resources fairly soon after installing it you end up with a corrupted game a few days or weeks later when thousands of script instances all fail at once.

If you really think you need to make changes try increasing the fUpdateBudgetMS and fExtraTaskletBudgetMS values by about .2 or .4.

You can increase fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS but it will also increase the delay you see at every load screen. (It still can be worth it so you don't have to watch your mannequins wander around the house for a few seconds when you get home.)

800? You're basically sabotaging your own game.

Don't mess with the INI files like that if you don't know what you're doing. If you're gonna increase it you should do it by small numbers and only in the case of having a highly script heavy setup with a modified uGridsToLoad.

Two of the CPU settings (fUpdateBudgetMS, fExtraTaskletBudgetMS) will harm your framerate if the script system actually uses the entire budget. Remember that to run at a solid 30fps the game only has 33ms total to do everything it wants to do that frame. If you want the game to run at 60fps, the game only gets 16ms. (And so on for higher framerates)

So you can see that if you tell Papyrus that it has 20ms for script updates that (if it uses all 20ms) you can never hit 60fps, and it's going to be hard to even hit 30 (the game will only have 13ms left over to do everything else).
The default of 1.2 should be fine for most people, even with modded setups. If you do increase it, keep it to small values or don't be surprised if your game framerate drops or hitches during periods of high script activity. (And if it's a combat mod, that would be during combat!)
The last CPU-related setting (fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS) will not affect your framerate, but will affect your load times. Unlike the other settings, Papyrus will use the entire time even if it has nothing to do. Increasing this will only help make sure cells and such are set up if there is a load screen. For example, the civil war can stress this because it has to set up a ton of things in the cities for the war when you enter through their load doors.

800? You're basically sabotaging your own game.

Don't mess with the INI files like that if you don't know what you're doing. If you're gonna increase it you should do it by small numbers and only in the case of having a highly script heavy setup with a modified uGridsToLoad.

Two of the CPU settings (fUpdateBudgetMS, fExtraTaskletBudgetMS) will harm your framerate if the script system actually uses the entire budget. Remember that to run at a solid 30fps the game only has 33ms total to do everything it wants to do that frame. If you want the game to run at 60fps, the game only gets 16ms. (And so on for higher framerates)

So you can see that if you tell Papyrus that it has 20ms for script updates that (if it uses all 20ms) you can never hit 60fps, and it's going to be hard to even hit 30 (the game will only have 13ms left over to do everything else).
The default of 1.2 should be fine for most people, even with modded setups. If you do increase it, keep it to small values or don't be surprised if your game framerate drops or hitches during periods of high script activity. (And if it's a combat mod, that would be during combat!)
The last CPU-related setting (fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS) will not affect your framerate, but will affect your load times. Unlike the other settings, Papyrus will use the entire time even if it has nothing to do. Increasing this will only help make sure cells and such are set up if there is a load screen. For example, the civil war can stress this because it has to set up a ton of things in the cities for the war when you enter through their load doors.

That right, with this settings I did a storm cloak run. When I reached whiterun my fps dropped to 1-5 fps.

so set both the settings that are at 800 to 1.2?

I've checked wiki and these are defaults (except memory, using 2gb since I have a lot of spare memory)

[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS = 500

fUpdateBudgetMS = 1.2
fExtraTaskletBudgetMS = 1.2

bEnableLogging = 0
bEnableTrace = 0
bLoadDebugInformation = 0

iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes = 2147483647

iMinMemoryPageSize = 256
iMaxMemoryPageSize = 512
http://www.creationkit.com/INI_Settings_(Papyrus) Where I got values

How they got changed I'll never know!