Just asking

delkdude12333

Typically requires a premium account 1st but still at the discretion of the admins of the site. Typically need a fairly good reason or if we are just not busy. We used to take such requests but it quickly became a major time sink so it had to be cut back to avoid taking up too much of our time on people that cannot make up their mind.

LHammonds

I'm curious, how do you go about changing a person's name? Is it as simple as just changing the words in a box? I know, though, that getting a thousand requests a day for a name change would be a bit much.

I'm curious, how do you go about changing a person's name? Is it as simple as just changing the words in a box?

1. Copy existing name and wanna-be name into notepad
  2. Login to control panel
  3. See if wanna-be name already exists...if so, converse with member about alternatives (an extreme waste of time at this point)
  4. If name available, change name through member utility...send member email notification about new credentials
  5. Create public notice thread that member known as OLDNAME is now renamed to NEWNAME.
  6. Receive 40 additional queries about name changes once the thread is made public.

Yes, the steps above take just a few minutes but for EVERY name change we make public, we get tons of inquiries about it.

LHammonds

I'm curious, how do you go about changing a person's name? Is it as simple as just changing the words in a box?

Yes, the steps above take just a few minutes but for EVERY name change we make public, we get tons of inquiries about it.

LHammonds

Why not just not announce the name change? Perhaps have searches for the member's old name redirect to the new one, if that's possible?

Typically requires a premium account 1st but still at the discretion of the admins of the site. Typically need a fairly good reason or if we are just not busy. We used to take such requests but it quickly became a major time sink so it had to be cut back to avoid taking up too much of our time on people that cannot make up their mind.

LHammonds

Only good reason I could give is that I hate this name >.>. I understand, though.

My suggestion in this case is to do the work yourself rather than getting the staff here to do it. Sounds silly; people who work here not wanting to do it, but we do have better things to do like working on the site or keeping the place clean and tidy.

If you don't have a disposable email account at yahoo or google or MSN or something then set one up and register a new account with the name you want. Once done PM a moderator and inform them you have made a second account because you no longer liked your old username and request your old account be banned. In the PM remember to include your old account username so it can be banned.

Done; you have your new username!

Banning an account takes about 10 seconds and 2 clicks. Changing a username takes anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 days if the username requested already exists and is about 8 clicks...of which a lot of time is spent waiting for the site to finish searching 1.75 million members in the database for possible name conflicts.

On the multiple accounts, be sure to let the staff know as soon as possible as multiple accounts are forbidden. Get caught and all will be banned as attempt ti circumventing the system.

Don't bother Dakrk0ne, but see which staff members are on line and pm them.

On the multiple accounts, be sure to let the staff know as soon as possible as multiple accounts are forbidden. Get caught and all will be banned as attempt ti circumventing the system.

Don't bother Dakrk0ne, but see which staff members are on line and pm them.

How exactly does that circumvent the system? I've always wondered. I mean, it seems the most you could do is give yourself Kudos or something, and that ultimately has little effect...