A complete mess

Selwensenova

Well, I'm new to this.. I have gone thru all the motions spent countless hours reading and trying to learn how to mod this game, there are many walk thru's, the problem with them is, I cant make it thru any of them with out finding written statements that do not explain how to perform them.. Bottom Line... it appears I am way to ignorant to learn how to mod Skyrim. I was hoping I could find someone to help me with a couple of issues that dont have written answer on the internet for, becuase no one should need to be explained the things I need to be explained to me.. They are

#1: SKSE Isnt showing up in game, when Im in gama, and I open up the interface with "~" Tilde and type SKSE version it says "unrecognise command" Yes I am clicking the SKSE Loader.EXE button in the SKyrim DIrectory... Yes, I am using Both SKSE at silverlocks.org site following instructions.. Yes I have watched GOpher videos.. and several others... I dont get it I h ave ever folder in the right place.

SKSE.. I have installed it repeatedly step by step.. On the instructions is states..

"

If you use a desktop shortcut to launch Skyrim normally, just update the shortcut to point to skse_loader.exe instead of TESV.exe or SkyrimLauncher.exe. "

How is anyone suppose to apply this process if they do not know how to ... something like this is all it takes to keep me from being successful..

#2: This one is really killing me... I have a game disk, but as you all know, I am forced to DL over the net when I stick the DIsk into my computer to install the game, SO I have installed this game several times taking 20 hours each day, each time to DL. After the latest DL, I restart Steam and Steam doesnt have the game listed... It on the hard drive in the DEfault location.. that STEAM INSTALLED.. and it cannot find it . THis one is killing me.. I literally spent 6 hours sitting here trying everything to get this resolved... nothing.. I neeed help.. I cannot do this on my own, Its too hard a subject to "learn as you go"

SO I took a entire week and with a note book I watched and read and studied everything I could find on modding SKyrim... I left no rock unturned.. In the end, It doesnt matter, all that research did was confuse me more, give me a headache, and waste many hours of time....

#3 I have followed the directions to the letter I have checked my work a dozen times to make sure Im not making mistake.. I cannot get Skyrim Mod Manager to pick up the Download from Nexus when I click the green button to DL a mod while in Nexxus. I have to manually Download every mod.. WHen I click the "green button" attempting to use DL Manager instead of a redirect occuring to Mod Manager, 7Z pops up and instead of offering me to DL a file, it has a Picture of my F***** Computer in the OPen box area.. I have never seen this in 20 years of computers.. I am at a loss on all this...

richard summers

For the SKSE shortcut bit, just right-click the SKSELoader.exe, create a shortcut, and drag-n-drop it on the desktop. I have found it valuable to keep the vanilla one the way it is, some options are only available at the vanilla title screen, which SKSE bypasses.

I have noticed that SKSE will not work the first time I run it after restarting the computer. Running Steam first, rather than letting the game do it, fixes this issue.

For reinstalling the game - Google "install skyrim from dvd", this will take you to a post here on the forums that will walk you thru it. It works, followed it myself. Make sure you move the Steam install to a new folder, as directed in the tutorial on the Steam forums. I think I had the same problem with SKSE until I did this.

As soon as you reinstall the game (and test it), MAKE A BACKUP! Copy/paste the whole Skyrim folder to a safe location. Next time you need to reinstall, it will only take a few minutes to copy/paste back.

And the "Download with Manager" button is for the Nexus mod manager, not Skyrim mod manager. I personally prefer to download manually, and install via Skyrim mod manager. I also use Wrye Bash, but only for the bashed patch.

Hope this helps.

Edited by eric31415

First of all DONT!!! INSTALL skyrim to the default location if youre using windows vista or later,Make another folder called skyrim on the C,D or E drive and install it there instead.

When skyrim is installed,Install skse and then install wrye bash use the installer version of wrye and it will install wrye automatically.

you can also choose the manual version of wrye bash (Its very easy) Just copy the mopy folder you get to your skyrim directory where skyrim.exe and the skyrimlauncher is.

Go into the mopy folder,Right click the red wrye bash (application) make a shortcut of it and drop it on your desktop.

wrye bash is a mod manager but the clever part is that you can launch skse at the same time by clicking on the little black skyrim icon at the bottom of the window (Wrye bash will automatically recognise skse if its installed correctly) Just use the wrye shortcut everytime you want to play.

Do this first And we will take the rest bit for bit.

First of all DONT!!! INSTALL skyrim to the default location if youre using windows vista or later,Make another folder called skyrim on the C,D or E drive and install it there instead.

DO NOT DO THIS!! Skyrim must be installed within the Steam directory. When installing Steam install it outside of Program Files on your C: directory and let it install Skyrim within the Steam folder. Anything else will lead to trouble.

Rabbit

What are you talking about???

If steam is installed to a different location you can easily install skyrim to a different location as well as long its in the steamapps folder

if ypu want to avoid uac it should not be installed to the program files.

It seems you all forgot how it is being a complete noob,Im trying to make the simplest setup to get this guy started.

I have both steam and skyrim running on my D: drive and it works flawless.

My advice would be to pick some small mod to install that adds maybe a sword or something, in a known location.

manually installing the mod isn't hard; the folder structure makes logical sense so even if you have to take notes on a piece of paper, by process of elimination you can see where mod files go. Usually though, they just end up in 'data'.

But 20 hours. Wow, dude, that sucks.