What Classic PC game do you miss?

Azrael12078

Sierra may have pulled the plug on Starsiege, but I'm happy to report that the Siegers themselves never did. There's still about 50 of us kicking around, and in the past year more and more old time players are coming back to check in and play for nostalgia's sake. We get some good games going, especially on weekends. It's the game that just refuses to die. :)

The current master server is hosted by eye, who's paid for it through 2020... replace the old Dynamix/Sierra IPs in your master.cs file (C:\Dynamix\Starsiege\scripts) with these and you'll be able to see the server list:

$Inet::Master1 = "IP:74.211.83.179:29000"; // eye's Master

$Inet::Master2 = "IP:64.230.86.49:29000";

$Inet::Master3 = "IP:192.168.0.168:29000";

And the patches can be found here: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Patches-Updates-Games/MetalTechUpdates.html

^^ Shameless plugging for a great old game. Join us!

The universe had plenty of corners left to explore, even after 7 games (not counting the horror story that was Tribes:Vengeance) and one expansion... but there's no hope at all for a sequel or reboot. I'd also like to see more of the System Shock series, considering the gigantic bloody cliffhanger that 2 ended with.

Fortunately, most of the best old games can still be found and played if you're willing to spend the time- and possibly money- to get them running. It's just too bad that they've faded into history.

Id love to join but I cant find a new copy of the game anywhere around me that doesnt cost an arm and a leg><

Im going to have to do something cause I miss that game so much,even if i never could beat the first Brid mission lol

Id love to see a revamped and rebooted Starseige, that game had alot of potential and alot can still be done with it. It had the best story ever too:)

I had Tribes and UT3 and they both feel the same to me. Tribes was sort of a letdown cause the vehicles werent as cool

I'd also like to see more of the System Shock series, considering the gigantic bloody cliffhanger that 2 ended with.

I remember reading somewhere that the developers were told by someone higher up that they had to add that cliff hanger but that they didn't like it much themselves.

But a System Shock 3 would be awesome. I'd rather have that than more Bioshock. Or Dead Space.

I just managed to get System Shock 2 working on my new PC, that took quite a bit of work involving crashes and pink textures... But now it's working perfectly, so now I can finally play... Overworld Zero on the GamePig !

What? The GamePig rules! Oink! :ermm:

I miss Starsiege as well. whenever I try to install it I get an error box labeled "Severe" And the error is "Setup detected less than Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 3.0. Please make sure that is installed before running Starsiege" & clicking "OK" or the X just kills the installerbefore it installs the game

this is on Win 7 home premium 64bit

Any tips?

This thread or this thread might help, given that Vista and Win7 are very similar. Don't mind the odd colors.

The easiest workaround is to just install the game on a different machine that is running XP or some other earlier version of Windows, then copy/paste the whole works to the desired computer- the game has no copy protection at all, and the installation is small enough to fit comfortably on a flash drive; this is one of those tricks that would never work with a newer title for obvious reasons. There's nothing questionable about doing so; the game originally shipped with two discs- one of which was labeled "buddy" because you were meant to hand the thing to a friend so they could install it too. The same trick can be used for Starsiege: Tribes, since the two games were released around the same time, by the same company, on the same engine. However, there may be patches and fixes which might be necessary in order to make either work properly under Vista or Win7.

There are also other workarounds which I just won't mention because of the*ahem* questionable status of the Starsiege IP. There's some debate over what company really has the rights to Starsiege these days, especially since Sierra/Vivendi folded into Activision-Blizzard and cut off support for the whole series. I've heard some people say it's public domain, and I've heard others say that Garage Games (where most Dynamix employees went after the developer was shut down) acquired the IP rights- though what they'd do with them if they had them is uncertain as far as further development goes. I do know that Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes 2 are out in the open; both were officially re-released as downloads free of charge around the time Tribes: Vengeance came out as a promotion for that ill-fated and ill-received final title in the series. Haven't the foggiest where to find either, though; haven't needed to look since I still have my old CDs.

Most of the old stuff I miss can be run in DOSBox. :D Although Simcity 2k DOS version (much better than the Win version) won't work with sound, and Syndicate is a pain to get working too. I never did find a decent abandonware site with Syndicate Wars, either.

One thing I do miss though, partly because I haven't even tried to get them working under DOSBox, is my old flight sims from the 286 era. I just can't bring myself to try joystick support. Ah, but to play ye olde F-15 Strike Eagle II, F-19 Stealth fighter, LHX, and Gunship 2000 again.

But you know, what I really, really miss is an arcade game. Space Lords. That game was awesome.