Terrorists are holding hostages, right now, in a Sydney Cafe

Maharg67

What has happened is a sad tragedy but we all need to be careful in not jumping to unwise conclusions. Was it an act of a terrorist or something else wrapped up in a facade of terrorism? Did the man strike out because he was a fundamentalist Muslim or because of psychological reasons or because of a mixture of pressures? Understanding why people carry out acts of terrorism helps to stop them from happening.

My heart felt sorrow to the two victims, and their families, who did not deserve this tragedy to be visited upon them.

Did you miss the thing about him sending nasty letters to the families of solders who died in Afghanistan? Did you not hear he wanted the authorities to get him a Isis flag? Seems fairly cut and dry to me. As for understanding violence done in the name of religion you've got to open up another can of worms. I have my own opinion of people professing their belief in a glorified tooth fairy and even more, those who would kill for it. I'd say nuts is a good explanation for it all.

As far as wisdom is concerned, people have been claiming the actions of others as wise or unwise by the virtues they themselves hold since the dawn of mankind.

I have faith in human nature and the ability for self delusion. That goes for me as well, since this is coming from my own version of reality and I dislike the things I see. To me, it is unwise to continually ignore the evidence perpetrators give us for appearance sake. Sometimes what is there is actually there and no matter how many times you pick it up and examine it, it remains so.

I missed none of the things that you mentioned but such actions are not those of a disciplined, organised, finely goal focused terrorist. They are more the actions of somebody confused with links to Islam. What dedicated fanatic would foolishly draw attention to himself by sending letters to the families of Australian soldiers? Nor would one have to demand that the authorities get him a real ISIS flag; surely he would have bought one for himself for they can be obtained easily enough even in the West, surprising as that might seem to many.

What do you think the actions of a person going trough the process of radicalization looks like? The left ued the term progressive as if it only means good things, but Cancer progresses, anger and hate progresses and so does radicalization. It's not the wondering that determines who a person is. It's what they cling to that defines the person and he clung to radical religion. You can call it insanity to cleave to a belief system all you want, but a belief system is an ideology and you would be hard pressed to make the case to any ideologue.

This guy has been accused of 47 sexual assaults , he has been implicated as an accessory in his wifes murder . In Iran he was being investigated on numerous criminal charges , he went to the Australians and claimed the Iranians were holding his family hostage , ganering himself sympathy so he could emigrate to Australia ( Iranians apparently had his family under a protective order from him) , But figured if Australia wants him they could have him and let him go . He converted from Shia islam to Sunni islam literally days before the hostage taking . His Shia mosque was telling the authorities that he was an unstable individual and should be watched , instead they gave him bail . Apparently while as a member of that mosque , he first tried to convince them he was a Ayatollah and when that failed he switched to being a Shia cleric which they also were not buying . (literally trying the I speak to or talk for God angle)

This has nothing to do with radicalisation , but has everything to do with a violent unstable individual who had some very serious problems in life and in his head and when things were running to its end in his life (his wifes murder) he latched onto the last form of reasoning he could think of to explain to himself why things were happening as they were.

Think about it , he was born Shia and he latched onto the ISIS angle (Sunni extremism) , which has a blood fued with Shia Islam , its likely if he were in their hands his head would still be coming off . Thats how many marbles he was short of a full load.

If you are killed by an 'independent' terrorist or a card carrying jihadist the end result is the same...you are just as dead. This is just the new mutation of terrorist asymmetrical warfare. ISIS benefits without having to go through the trouble of inserting a cell, they are hardly going to disavow this latest incident since it suits their strategic aims.

This guy has been accused of 47 sexual assaults , he has been implicated as an accessory in his wifes murder . In Iran he was being investigated on numerous criminal charges , he went to the Australians and claimed the Iranians were holding his family hostage , ganering himself sympathy so he could emigrate to Australia ( Iranians apparently had his family under a protective order from him) , But figured if Australia wants him they could have him and let him go . He converted from Shia islam to Sunni islam literally days before the hostage taking . His Shia mosque was telling the authorities that he was an unstable individual and should be watched , instead they gave him bail . Apparently while as a member of that mosque , he first tried to convince them he was a Ayatollah and when that failed he switched to being a Shia cleric which they also were not buying . (literally trying the I speak to or talk for God angle)

This has nothing to do with radicalisation , but has everything to do with a violent unstable individual who had some very serious problems in life and in his head and when things were running to its end in his life (his wifes murder) he latched onto the last form of reasoning he could think of to explain to himself why things were happening as they were.

Think about it , he was born Shia and he latched onto the ISIS angle (Sunni extremism) , which has a blood fued with Shia Islam , its likely if he were in their hands his head would still be coming off . Thats how many marbles he was short of a full load.

And if he, after all this went out a sodomized a 7 year old, would that make him a troubled person or a child molester. Reading into someone, trying to find something deeper than their immediate actions doesn't make them not what their action portrayed them as. So, he was a criminal that ran from the authorities. Are you suggesting that other terrorists are more sane than he, because they don't have a criminal background? What about the Islamic father that shoots his two daughters in an honer killing, is that insanity or terrorism?

Honor killings......LORD!!

Makes one wonder just what these Islamic extremist consider to be Honor. I am not versed in Islam, but, i cannot possibly come from the Qur'an...If so, maybe it is the religion of evil. Nah! Just more individuals perverting religion to their own belief.

BTW, Kudos to that hero who had the guts to intervene. Funny how something like that seems to occur in all terrorist situations. Almost restores your faith in humanity. :)

Edited by edgeburner

Honor Killing has been around a long long time and is not confined to Islam (if necessary I'll provide the data), even so it's strange code of honor that requires killing a family member.

Perhaps, but, how many honor such a 'code' in that respect nowadays? A code that dictates you kill your own daughter because she dated a white man in a country that is over 60% white?

I believe that most civilized nations have left such interpretations in the past. except for one (prominent) group of people who pervert a religion into their own personal interpretation. I may be mistaken, but, I cannot think of another besides Islamic extremist that do so on such a scale.