Annoying parts of the game

chrisdragon425

Propbably one of the most annoying things in Oblivion...

"Ow! My collision box!". Being a bow user, seeing arrows sticking inches away from someones arm, and still doing damage is really stupid. This is most prominent in rats, with the tails, but its still very annoying. Also, every time I try and shoot someone in the head, it sticks the arrow in the back?

The inverse of this, which I've noticed with Dreugh (may also apply to Spider Daedra):

post-33281-1171671683.jpg

The yellow parts are the collision boxes, which an arrow has to hit to count as, well, a hit. I think the green determines what areas can be activated.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's one: How a Necromcer walked right into Bruma (With eqiupment to raise the dead..), walked in the Mage Guild and slaughted three people, fire everywhere, obivously it wasn't a stelath job, yet the Guards are too stupid to know when someone is being killed.

And when you do it and kill someone in a building, the guard automactially knows and chases you, and comes into the house and stops you. Tell me, why is it you are the only criminal that can be detected? And the same applies for your Summon creatures, you still get a bounty.

No wonder why Kvatch fell to it's knees..

...By the way, the Empire has quite an history of wars and battles, but there isn't a single border fort in case the king of,say, Hammerfell decides to rebel and attack Cyrodiil...Hey Helseth, wanna become Emperor?

How often does the U.S. Navy protect the American coast?

This is not a concern of the few Legion soldiers stationed in Cyrodiil, but rather the task of the myriad armies of Legion soldiers stationed in Hammerfell, High Rock, Morrowind and so forth. That is how they secure Cyrodiil's borders— the projection of Imperial authority to keep the other provinces in line, rather than turtling behind a line of border fortifications.

With the focus of Legion might upon the outer provinces, the infrastructure of the Legion within Cyrodiil becomes both undermanned and regarded a low-priority measure. Forts come to neglect, you get only a few patrols who'll easily slay the few bandits and creatures they come across, and when the Daedric invasion comes about, the danger of the situation is made manifest as Cyrodiil is essentially caught with its pants down, relying on such colorful characters as the Hero of Kvatch to pull their collective arses out of the fire.

There are too many weird things that happen to me in Oblivion that anger me.

1) I ride my horse around in the mountains. I go a little too fast and hurt my horse. I do this a couple more times and my horse suddenly dies, killing me with it.

2) I was playing one of the harlems watch fighters guild quest and //Spoiler!// one of the trolls that I have to kill gets stuck in a wall and I can't kill it, even with area effecting magic spells.

3) I never did anything to him but the arena fan attacks me on sight whenever he sees me. It wouldn't matter if it didn't cause the guards to start attacking me too.

4) Also, somehow a guard entered my Skingrad house and got himself stuck in the pillar on the second level. He just stays there and attacks me when I walk by. Weird, and I can't kill him.

5) I also dislike the boring main quest. If only there was a twist in the plot *sigh* like in Morrowind. It would add some character to a lifeless quest. There just weren't enough "fun" quests either. Even if there was only one more quest like whodunit ;D , it would make the game so much more fun.

How often does the U.S. Navy protect the American coast?

This is not a concern of the few Legion soldiers stationed in Cyrodiil, but rather the task of the myriad armies of Legion soldiers stationed in Hammerfell, High Rock, Morrowind and so forth. That is how they secure Cyrodiil's borders— the projection of Imperial authority to keep the other provinces in line, rather than turtling behind a line of border fortifications.

With the focus of Legion might upon the outer provinces, the infrastructure of the Legion within Cyrodiil becomes both undermanned and regarded a low-priority measure. Forts come to neglect, you get only a few patrols who'll easily slay the few bandits and creatures they come across, and when the Daedric invasion comes about, the danger of the situation is made manifest as Cyrodiil is essentially caught with its pants down, relying on such colorful characters as the Hero of Kvatch to pull their collective arses out of the fire.

Maybe that, but there are still Army camps on US soil (just like in France, UK, Belgium...), and there are USNavy base in the US, so they can act if needed...If the Akaviris decided to attack Tamriel, they could be all the way up the Niben (after having destroyed Leyyawin) before anyone could move...

I understand why so many forts are in ruin, but why are there NOT A SINGLE Army encampment, no even an officer training school, or training camps: some imperials get into the Army, right? Do they have to go and, well learn the job in the various provinces?That wouldn't make any sense at all!

And sorry, but Emperors usually keep the army close at hand, because the barons and counts aren't really trustworthy...(countless examples of that in Medieval Europe history)...

Plus: there are no Orc imperial guard, I thought I had read something like "Orc Berzerkers in Heavy Armor are some of the most fearsome imperial troops", which would imply they are quite common, don't you think?

Maybe that, but there are still Army camps on US soil (just like in France, UK, Belgium...), and there are USNavy base in the US, so they can act if needed...If the Akaviris decided to attack Tamriel, they could be all the way up the Niben (after having destroyed Leyyawin) before anyone could move...

I understand why so many forts are in ruin, but why are there NOT A SINGLE Army encampment, no even an officer training school, or training camps: some imperials get into the Army, right? Do they have to go and, well learn the job in the various provinces?That wouldn't make any sense at all!

And sorry, but Emperors usually keep the army close at hand, because the barons and counts aren't really trustworthy...(countless examples of that in Medieval Europe history)...

Plus: there are no Orc imperial guard, I thought I had read something like "Orc Berzerkers in Heavy Armor are some of the most fearsome imperial troops", which would imply they are quite common, don't you think?

if you ask me, you just volunteered yourself to create a mod. but really, if anyone out there is capable of adding legion bases through out Cyrodiil, you should do it, i'd be sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

A small list of things that are annoying for the simple reason they don't make sense. Probably editing this post tomorrow to add some more...

Lockpicking

The lockpicking system in Oblivion is unrealistic and makes the security skill completely useless.

When you go into the lockpicking mode the rest of the world will freeze. So, imagine you are running from a dangerous monster and end up at a locked door. Not a problem at all! The monster and everything else in the game world will wait patiently while you pick the lock. Why?

When you go into lockpicking mode you can see what happens inside the lock. Why can you see that while any real person can't? The tumblers shouldn't be visible and the player should listen to the sounds.

Forget that. Even with just the sounds, it'll take you about 10 minutes to figure the system out and get good at it. And when you do, you can pick all the very hard locks using one lockpick, with a security skill of 5. So: Lockpicking is 99% player skill and 1% character skill. A person with a higher lockpicking skill has a small advantage should he fail some times, but it doesn't make much of a difference. Oblivion an RPG? Riiight.

So the solution is pretty simple. Morrowind's lockpicking system should be used: Your chance to pick a lock depends on the quality of the lockpick, and your character's security skill. The world is still moving while you are lockpicking, so you can't pick a lock while a monster is chasing you. You will also get caught picking locks more easily, because npc's are still moving around while you are trying.

Also, I fail to see how picking locks also improves your ability of pickpocketing. Does pickpocketing mean you put a lockpick in their pants and try to fish something out of it? (This 'problem' was also in Morrowind, by the way. Only Daggerfall had separate lockpicking and pickpocketing skills)

Vampirism

Just think about it. In almost any legend/game/whatever with vampires drinking blood, they have to drink blood because they'll get weaker and die if they don't. Oblivion is doing the opposite. If you don't drink any blood at all you'll get much stronger, and drinking blood weakens you!

Skill Perks

The knocking down/disarming/paralyzing perks aren't bad themselves. The problem is that no matter what melee weapon you are using: Fists, Axes, hammers, claymores or knifes, all their sideways power attacks do exactly the same thing. All the melee skill perks are the same. Even the animations are similar!

Guild perks

Fighters guild: A few crappy items appearing in a chest once in a month. 'Recruiting new members' doesn't actually make new members show up, I think.

Mages Guild: You can recruit a mage who will fight for you. But at higher levels they are dead in no time. You still don't have respect as an Arch Mage and people still refer to you as the latest addition to the mages guild.

Dark Brotherhood: Visit a talking statue and report back to someone once a month (week?) to get a pathetic sum of around 200 gold.

Arena: Fight some monsters. Could be worse I suppose.

Thieves Guild: Nice helmet, maybe a little too strong.

Guild requirements

What guild requirements? Your big heavy armor axe wielding dumb orc could become an archmage. At level one too.

Guild Quests

All quests have to be done. You can't refuse. In Morrowind you could fail a few and still get to the top.

A quote from the official forums:

Things really went downhill to me when guild ceased to be factions, but instead became wrapped around their own stories. Daggerfall's guilds didn't have their own storylines, and yet those are the ones that are the most lifelike. You're not out there to do the epic crap, you're there to do the normal things that need doing in a guild. The fighter's guild is a mercenary faction that hires out muscle to protect the locals and do things that ordinary farmers can't, and that's exactly what you do in that guild.

Exactly. Guilds are there to do some simple jobs to help people who need help. Not to get into some epic story line that waited for you, which will quickly bring you to the highest position in the guild with no normal quests anymore.

Money

Merchants have a maximum amount of money they are willing to pay for buying a single item from you. But besides that, they have infinite money. :huh:

Gold has no weight and can't be dropped.

A small list of things that are annoying for the simple reason they don't make sense. Probably editing this post tomorrow to add some more...

Lockpicking

...Also, I fail to see how picking locks also improves your ability of pickpocketing. Does pickpocketing mean you put a lockpick in their pants and try to fish something out of it? (This 'problem' was also in Morrowind, by the way. Only Daggerfall had separate lockpicking and pickpocketing skills)

I fail to see that, too: mainly because lockpicking (Security) doesn't actually affect your ability to pickpocket someone (Sneak).

Vampirism

Just think about it. In almost any legend/game/whatever with vampires drinking blood, they have to drink blood because they'll get weaker and die if they don't. Oblivion is doing the opposite. If you don't drink any blood at all you'll get much stronger, and drinking blood weakens you!

Depends on what you consider "weakness". Complete mobility in daylight makes a 25% Vampire somewhat superior to a 100% fellow who'd fry half the time if he was caught outdoors.

In White Wolf's Vampire universe, one gameplay aspect was how far your character retained their humanity. Succumb too far to The Beast (and starving for blood accelerated this), and you become a literal monstrosity. The progression in Oblivion reflects just that.

Lord Lodvidicus seemed a right proper chap until his Orc girlfriend locked him in the castle, subsequently driving him to primal insanity due to starvation.