Sloppy Quality

SealJuice

I think some need to take off their rose tinted spectacles, yes the game is buggy but so was FO3, in fact FO3 is still buggy and it's not going to be seeing any more patches. As for writing and dialogue you can't compare the two, FO3s story was silly and the dialogue was appalling. As UnidentifiedFlyingTard points out, they've not told a decent story since Morrowind.

Another sweet aspect of these Black Isle and Obsidian yahoos jacking the game is the #2 hotkey switches ammo, NOT weapons or other items. Good job, meatheads.

I am disassociated with my toon, dropped into a dubious plot line with no background and very little interest in the Chargen Town or the inhabitants.

And looking here at the uploads for New Vegas, 90% of them are hi-jacked or borrowed mod content from the real game, Fallout 3. And I don't see modders tripping over themselves to create new content for this craptastic dev version of a game.

New Vegas is an imagination killer. If the game is that freak'n great and Black Isle/Obsidian content is so superior, then why is there no geniune or really NEW content being made for it?

The game is seriously flawed, there isn't an official patch for it (that I can find) and users have the honor of being Steam victims for a game they bought retail.

Steam patches the game automatically unless you tell it not to.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some need to take off their rose tinted spectacles

I feel that is a justification for the poor quality of this game. I fully understand the commitment to Fallout and 1 and 2 and the originators of the franchise, but this game isn't 1 or 2 and we all know it. And you Jim, being the preeminent Fallout player since day one might consider some people couldn't care less about lore or past loyalties and want a functioning game. Every glitch or bug I am aware of for FO3 has been corrected in time. There is no mirrored effort being put forth by the fabulous Black Isle/Obsidian crew. And if Steam provides the updates that is yet another failing for this game, NOT a bonus.

And if anyone one is looking through rose coloured glasses it is New Vegas fans as they THINK it is more pleasant than it really is. That is what the idiom means.

I think some need to take off their rose tinted spectacles

I feel that is a justification for the poor quality of this game. I fully understand the commitment to Fallout and 1 and 2 and the originators of the franchise, but this game isn't 1 or 2 and we all know it. And you Jim, being the preeminent Fallout player since day one might consider some people couldn't care less about lore or past loyalties and want a functioning game. Every glitch or bug I am aware of for FO3 has been corrected in time. There is no mirrored effort being put forth by the fabulous Black Isle/Obsidian crew. And if Steam provides the updates that is yet another failing for this game, NOT a bonus.

And if anyone one is looking through rose coloured glasses it is New Vegas fans as they THINK it is more pleasant than it really is. That is what the idiom means.

With "rose tinted spectacles" I was referring to bugs, FO3 was full of them. Where are we now? 1.7? put the task manager on one screen and the game on another (if you have two) and watch the memory usage, it's still leaking like a sieve. They only released patches when they had DLC they wanted to sell. Check the patch dates and the release dates of the DLC. NV certainly is buggy but it's no worse than FO3 was.

Put the same application on NV and look at the results. There is no way to get around the fact that NV was released before it was market ready. The game is EFFed up and there is no denial.

The fact there is not a forth-coming official patch that isn't reliant on Steam proves my point. The game isn't being supported. FO3 didn't rely on GFWL to patch the content.

New Vegas is a hack job and very rushed and crappy DLC for FO3. It might be presented as a stand alone game but the attitude of the devs and the people playing the game proves otherwise. There isn't any truly new content being made aside from fixes. No new body mods, no new scipting, no new anything. The game is an imagination and creativity killer.

So FO3 sucked and New Vegas is the 'cure'? :blink: Then New Vegas players have no business using FO3 content for their games, as FO3 was so horrible and wrong and anyone who played it was clueless as to the pure intent of Black Isle. I can only imagine the distain real Fallout fans and players for FO3 modders, whose content they crave.

BTW, I have FO3 running smoothly without errors CTDs or any other foolishness since the 1.7 patch,(aside from the hardcoded male bodymod files).

New Vegas is rushed and crappy in many respects (the half-finished quests testify to that), but I think the attitude of the players is just fine. It's only been a couple weeks, so there won't be any truly creative mods for another month or two. The game itself doesn't kill your imagination. On the contrary, this new premise and main quest has actually sparked more discussion among new players than Fallout 3 did. The Fallout 3 main quest was a linear and boring slog of Hollywood-style theatrics, and any perceptive person can clearly see that.

Just a friendly reminder; Fallout 1 & 2 are considered priceless treasures from a nobler, bygone age. Criticism of those games should be done with upmost care. :happy:

Personally, I think New Vegas can stand up on it's own as a good game. The only problem I have with it so far, in comparison with F3, is that the Mojave wasteland feels empty and bland when compared to the Capital wasteland. When it comes to the dialogue... Well, I can't honestly tell the difference. I never quite understood what was so awful about it in F3.

I don't think I'll ever be able to point at one of them and say 'This one's best'. They've both got their features and annoyances. The iron-sight aiming and survival crafting abilities in New Vegas is a good trade-off for the more detailed and impressive enviroments of Fallout 3. I'm just pleased another team of developers got the opportunity to work with it. Switching developers or tones around is what keeps titles alive and fresh, after all.

It might look and feel a bit more sloppy and on some occasions hardly done, but all the good bits make up for it more than enough.

Oh, and on the issue of the main storyline. I do like the New Vegas one, because it's much better integrated in the actual world. But I do prefer the actual story from F3. Yes, it's a rather common and predictable tale about some stalwart hero overthrowing the forces of evil and bringing peace to the people, but I got a soft spot for stories like that. That's not to say the main storyline from New Vegas is bad. But I think it feels a bit contrived at places, which is odd. But it got me attached enough to actually want to confront that man in the horrid suit. And that without being tied up in pretences of originality, which happens rather frequently these days.

Edit: accidentally typed *prefer' twice instead of 'like'. The effect was rather schizofrenic. :P

Put the same application on NV and look at the results. There is no way to get around the fact that NV was released before it was market ready. The game is EFFed up and there is no denial.

The fact there is not a forth-coming official patch that isn't reliant on Steam proves my point. The game isn't being supported. FO3 didn't rely on GFWL to patch the content.

New Vegas is a hack job and very rushed and crappy DLC for FO3. It might be presented as a stand alone game but the attitude of the devs and the people playing the game proves otherwise. There isn't any truly new content being made aside from fixes. No new body mods, no new scipting, no new anything. The game is an imagination and creativity killer.

So FO3 sucked and New Vegas is the 'cure'? :blink: Then New Vegas players have no business using FO3 content for their games, as FO3 was so horrible and wrong and anyone who played it was clueless as to the pure intent of Black Isle. I can only imagine the distain real Fallout fans and players for FO3 modders, whose content they crave.

BTW, I have FO3 running smoothly without errors CTDs or any other foolishness since the 1.7 patch,(aside from the hardcoded male bodymod files).

I checked NV as I was going to make it large flag aware, after a few hours I decided it wasn't necessary as the memory usage is just fine (I later found out it doesn't work anyway). No one is suggesting that game isn't buggy, what I'm saying is it's no worse than FO3. As for mods you know as well as I do that these things take time, FO3 had endless Nuclear Pistols and two minute cheat mods in the early weeks/months as well, it also had a lot of content from Oblivion once people had figured out how to port it. The only difference has been the theft of other peoples work by those with no respect for others, I bet the same would have happened had it been as easy to port Oblivion stuff into FO3.

FO3 was a fun game but a poor RPG, there were few choices and even less consequences. Dialogue is something very important in an RPG yet Bethesda made no effort in that area, don't take my word for it, read what Hines has to say on it. The NPCs spoke to the player as if they were addressing a small child, hardly surprising given the contempt Todd "Let the player win" Howard holds for gamers. They could do with a few lessons from Obsidian and Bioware on NPCs.

It's ok to be a Bethsoft fanboy.

No need for name calling.

Just a friendly reminder; Fallout 1 & 2 are considered priceless treasures from a nobler, bygone age. Criticism of those games should be done with upmost care. :happy:

Personally, I think New Vegas can stand up on it's own as a good game. The only problem I have with it so far, in comparison with F3, is that the Mojave wasteland feels empty and bland when compared to the Capital wasteland. When it comes to the dialogue... Well, I can't honestly tell the difference. I never quite understood what was so awful about it in F3.

I don't think I'll ever be able to point at one of them and say 'This one's best'. They've both got their features and annoyances. The iron-sight aiming and survival crafting abilities in New Vegas is a good trade-off for the more detailed and impressive enviroments of Fallout 3. I'm just pleased another team of developers got the opportunity to work with it. Switching developers or tones around is what keeps titles alive and fresh, after all.

It might look and feel a bit more sloppy and on some occasions hardly done, but all the good bits make up for it more than enough.

Oh, and on the issue of the main storyline. I do like the New Vegas one, because it's much better integrated in the actual world. But I do prefer the actual story from F3. Yes, it's a rather common and predictable tale about some stalwart hero overthrowing the forces of evil and bringing peace to the people, but I got a soft spot for stories like that. That's not to say the main storyline from New Vegas is bad. But I think it feels a bit contrived at places, which is odd. But it got me attached enough to actually want to confront that man in the horrid suit. And that without being tied up in pretences of originality, which happens rather frequently these days.

Edit: accidentally typed *prefer' twice instead of 'like'. The effect was rather schizofrenic. :P

I think what Bethesda do well is create large detailed worlds, I get the impression a lot of time is spent is spent on every cell. Exploring them is a pleasure even when there isn't much of a reward because of the scaling.

Indeed, that's what sells it for me. I can endure the droning background-conversations about Mudcrabs and How to Avoid Same, as long as I've got a giant wilderness to poke around in. When I fiddle with the exterior-cells in the F3 geck, I always get pangs of guilt when I displace some carefully placed rocks out nowhere.