Grimoire 2.0: Apocalypse-type spell package

steelfeathers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished some new (and some updated) destruction spells:

• Icicle Seed (appren) > A shard of ice that does 10 frost damage and causes a patch of deadly icicles to form beneath the target. Target is slowed by 80% for 3 sec.
  • Live Coals (appren) > Chars the target, doing 2 fire damage per second for 15 seconds. When hit with another fire spell, the target explodes into flames.
  • Electrify (appren) > Imbues the caster with electricity. For 60 sec, your weapons deal lightning damage and enemies who attack you are shocked.
  • Light the Tallow (appren) > Lights the target on fire, doing 5 fire damage per sec for 20 seconds. Deals greater damage to targets with more remaining health.
  • Hellfire (expert) > Ball of otherworldly fire that does 60 damage, ignoring fire resistance. For 30 seconds afterwards, the ground beneath the target will periodically catch fire.
  • Absolute Zero (master) > For 60 sec, nearby targets have 0 frost resist and will freeze when hit by a frost spell. Frozen targets have a 20% chance to shatter when struck.

Lol, if only! No, you'll all get my hard work free of charge. The only payment I require is for you all to enjoy it, and hopefully leave me comments/suggestions/gentle criticism (and bug reports, love those).

EDIT: No wait, I take that back. I required payment in the form of endorsements so that I can get on the hot-files list. >:D

Edited by steelfeathers

Okay, so it looks like I won't be able to release this weekend as planned. I haven't quite finished everything I need to, and I want to get some real testing in for the new destruction spells. I also need to work on compiling some good screenshots, and maybe a video. Sometime next week seems probable.

On that note:

Screenshots and videos wanted! If you'd like to volunteer to help me get good showcase content for the mod thread, I'll give you an early copy of Lost Grimoire. (It will help me get to release faster, too. ;))

If you'd like to help out, leave a comment on this thread. Thanks!

I've used most of the spells already. Not extensively but enough to notice some things:

1- Stop time is great and seems balanced. However, I used it a few times and it seems to last forever, the duration seems to be halted with everything else. Only fast travel or console could end it.

2- Trickster's active effect persists even when the copies are dead. Don't know if it's intended or not, just like the fact that they spawn with a daedric battleaxe. Still equip and cast spells though. On the other end, there seems to be a faction related problem. My char has joined the academy and when I accidentally hit my copies, I got expelled! They must be considered academy members.

3- Conjure Dremora seducer does nothing.

4- Haven't seen the undead shambles use frost magic. They just move (kinda slowly btw) to melee and attack.

5- Haven't seen Earthquake. Did you remove it?

6- Transformation is just great. Nothing else to say (for now :p). Thank you for this.

That's it for now. Gonna Give the spells another stress test and take some good screenshots. Thank you for your trust.

I've used most of the spells already. Not extensively but enough to notice some things:

1- Stop time is great and seems balanced. However, I used it a few times and it seems to last forever, the duration seems to be halted with everything else. Only fast travel or console could end it.

2- Trickster's active effect persists even when the copies are dead. Don't know if it's intended or not, just like the fact that they spawn with a daedric battleaxe. Still equip and cast spells though. On the other end, there seems to be a faction related problem. My char has joined the academy and when I accidentally hit my copies, I got expelled! They must be considered academy members.

3- Conjure Dremora seducer does nothing.

4- Haven't seen the undead shambles use frost magic. They just move (kinda slowly btw) to melee and attack.

5- Haven't seen Earthquake. Did you remove it?

6- Transformation is just great. Nothing else to say (for now :tongue:). Thank you for this.

That's it for now. Gonna Give the spells another stress test and take some good screenshots. Thank you for your trust.

EDIT: Completely forgot to mention this, but SKSE is required for this mod. If you don't have it, some thing won't work right.

Thanks for beta testing. I'll look into the issue with trickster. See more detailed responses below.

1) Some people have problems with slow time effects, both from my mods and from vanilla. I have no idea why this is - one of your other mods probably messes with it somewhere. I've only ever once had an issue with slow time, and I think it was PerMa's fault.

2) What active effect? You mean it says that you still have "trickster" active? (The faction thing is really hilarious - the copies are added to the Player faction, so that everyone will act as if they are you and attack them/not attack them as appropriate. The quest is acting like it's a crime to attack yourself.) And they really shouldn't have daedric battleaxes unless you do...they get whatever equipment you have. You sure you didn't have a battleaxe in your inventory?

3) That...shouldn't be possible. The spell is set to disallow absorb/reflect, so there's no reason for it not to work. Try it again in another place. Sometimes vanilla skyrim derps on summoning if there's a navmesh problem. (I've used it myself dozens of times during my mage play-through; I promise it works)

4) It does, I promise. Just not all the time. Get a dragon in there and you'll see the frost in action.

5) Didn't get made. I need to take it off the list. Try these spells instead: Skyfall, Absolute Zero, Benediction, Horrid Affliction, all-the-destruction-spells-I-recently-listed-on-this-thread.

6) Thanks! Spent forever ironing out the bugs on that.

(General tip: Make sure you learn the spells from the spell tomes rather than just giving them to yourself via console. I've accidentally given myself the wrong spells that way before. )

Edited by steelfeathers

Hey man! I had a look at the spells and some are promising! Here are my thoughts:

Open Lock : Mmm... i dunno about this one. Would make locking unnecessary, and u would end up skilling alteration instead of lockpiking at every container/door. Doesn't looks really advisable. Also could make overall balancing issues.
Corrosion : Add "On the target" in the desciption. Otherwhise it gets messy.
Shapeshift Claws : does this works like a bound weapon?
Stone Golem : this should be a conjuration spell. Doesnt makes sense in alteration.
Shapeshift Wings : the weapon speed increase doesn't makes sense to me. Also the fall damage reduction is kinda made redundant by Featherlight.
Forest Curse : Could u explain this spell better? Does the three takes damage? can it move or perform actions? Also why it takes damage at the end of the duration?
Teleport: Eiaision hiself had to remove this spell because it was making numerous issues, plus it can be OP.
Stop Time: there is already a shout for that. Plus "Time lock" is already a good alternative. No need for this one honestly.
Medusa's Stare: this looks interesting but what abou the interations with the Stoned-enemies? Can u still loot them, or u lose the loot forever?
Command Undead: i'm not sure if this should be a conjuration spell, but could be fine.
Store Corpse: this is genious.
Dark Crystal : how does this works?
Mammoth Familiar : Mammoths are passive and friendly creatures in Skyrim. U would expect something better by a Master-level conjuration spell.
Bend Will: again, there is already a shout for this, with the exact same name...
Shadow Form: again, the "Ethereal form" shout does the same thing... (and its already quite OP for mages, let's don't make another one)
Glamour: You should care on this one, as there are already 3 mods doing the same thing (one being a perk of Perma). Looks unnecessary.
Enthrall: Erm... Bend will Enhanced edition? lol
One with the Shadows: Looks totally OP. also would make Sneaking totally unnecessary.
Psychic Bond : What's the use of this?
Poison Seed: I already saw this in "Forgotten Magic Redone". Whatever. Also doesn't makes sense as a restoration spell.
Black Swarm: doesn't makes sense as a restoration spell.
Infestation: doesn't makes sense as a restoration spell.
Plague Bringer: mmm... what? lol
Dread Cocoon: doesn't makes sense as a restoration spell.

Sorry if i've been too much "extensive", hope this can help u out!

Steel, Im playing with Grimoire 1 currently and would like to suggest avoiding ultra high range spells. The perfect example is Zap. This spell shoots instantly for enormous range and is too powerful for its cost since pretty much every hit is 3x dmg (enemies cant see you from big range). Only slow flying spells should have big range. And be very careful with dmg multipliers. There are other multipliers like SkyRe high elf racial ability or Dark Brotherhood set, which make those spells one shot alot of targets.

Edited by mindw0rk2