Reason for being in prison?

Lehcar

So if the player character has never ever in their life committed murder, assaulted anyone, stolen anything, or trespassed, why were they in prison at the beginning of the game?

Oblivion represents an alternate universe

People are created in prison instead of the "cabbage patch"

eventually through psychic connection you discover who your parents were

but you are "raised" in prison

and escape to become a "normal" citizen

It was done this way so you could in theory create your own back story of why you where there. For one of my Characters, Jamie, was an Assassin for the empire, not the Dark Brotherhood. After returning to the Imperial City she had a little bit of a beer filled night at the feed bag when one of the Legion guards tried to hit on her she decked him out thus a crime. So was put in jail for Drunk & Disorderly conduct, but due to her ties assaulting an officer of the law was dropped. :) I have many others, one for each character, and two involve Lex :P

It was an unfortunate incident with a potion of chameleon and the Captain of the guards daughter.

It could have happened to anyone, really, and I kept telling the guards that as they hauled me away...

I think the Emperor mentioned something like "doesn't matter, from now on your sins are forgiven", so it could me anything less than mass murder. A theft or a bar fight is enough, I guess. Or, maybe, some kind of misunderstanding. Or... maybe the Emperor arranged that and the character is innocent of anything! He claims to know the future, I mean. Ewwwww, sick old man.

You start in jail for a good reason. It's a lot more easy that way to control what you do. In prison all they had to do was to make you fallow the emperor and his guards to the exit, but out in the open it would have been harder to start the main story or at least to make you notice it. They just prefered the easy way, it's almost a tradition now to start in jail, or as a prisoner.

Cheers,

Pushkatu!

So if the player character has never ever in their life committed murder, assaulted anyone, stolen anything, or trespassed, why were they in prison at the beginning of the game?

Wouldn't be the first time someone was wrongly convicted of a crime. Be thankful your char starts the game with his head still attached :ohmy: . (now u know where headless zombies come from!)