Multipart upload functionality for large file authors

Dark0ne

MERPTeam, it doesn't really matter what the cap is on the max-per-file size is. You can host ANY-SIZED mod on the Nexus.

I mentioned in the 5th post of this thread that we have long since had a tutorial called Splitting large files using 7-zip which worked...I've had to use it on several uploads.

That method I documented can still be utilized at this very moment and completely avoid this multi-part upload feature Dark0ne gave us....or you can use this feature to help reduce an extra step from that documentation by not having to re-zip the multi-part zip to preserve the filename which allows for multi-part extraction to work for either 7-Zip or WinRAR.

Here is an example of what the upload looks like when you use Dark0nes multi-part upload: UESPWiki

I no longer have the XSI Softimage tool uploaded to show you what it looks like with just the splitting tutorial but you simply see one file attachment per part. So the above UESPWiki example would have 3 individual files...whereas the multi-part upload allows you to list just one file with many parts.

I think Dark0ne allows 20 separate parts to be attached to a file. So if you create your split at the 290 MB mark, that allows for 20 x 290 MB files (almost 6 GB !!!) to be attached as a single file entry.

LHammonds

Hmmm...this page seems to work for me. Anyone else get different links when viewing that page?

Part 1 links to: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/downloadpart.php?id=14

Part 2 links to: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/downloadpart.php?id=15

Part 3 links to: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/downloadpart.php?id=16

@LHammonds

Clicking on the part link in the files tab does bring up the popup window where you can select your fileserver, but clicking on a link to any of the fileservers to actually begin the download results in a "no file specified" error message. As DeeGee pointed out below, the select your server page is not creating links with filenames that are being passed to dl.php, it's only passing the fileserver ID.

Doh, it was working for us because we're premium members, Lon. It didn't work for normal members and it's all fixed now. I sometimes forget to test out new features on both accounts :X

And there's yet another reason to get premium guys! :P

Edit: I also want to specify that you can upload files larger than 25Mb on PES, using ftp. :) (You should add that to the List of Online Hosting Sites, Lon.)

Edited by Zaldiir

I also want to specify that you can upload files larger than 25Mb on PES, using ftp. :) (You should add that to the List of Online Hosting Sites, Lon.)

Ok, I added a mention about FTP which I already knew about...that's why I said "25 MB by default" since you really have to communicate to the admin to find the FTP address, credentials and how to go about getting them to link up together. Not exactly user-friendly and has been problematic in the past (such as with the Lost Paladins upload). But my point was that even with a 25 MB maximum size limit, it is still quite possible to upload split archives even if the site does not support it directly...just so long as they allow "multiple" files to be attached.

LHammonds

LHammonds

Thanks for the detailed reply but I'm still unclear if I can specifically upload: a 700+MB ESM and split it in three though, it sure sounds like it. 7z only?

I don't wish to create any further confusion for members acquiring our big ESM, so I'm a little apprehensive. (presently I'm using a mirror)