mod comments section annoyance.

starscreamM14

sometimes a mods author tells you to read through the comment section before posting your own problem.

i dont get it, do they really expect you to waste your time reading hundreds of pages of comments ? (especially on the more populair mods)

am i the only one who finds this a bit ridiculous ?

let me know what you guys and girls think.

Mod authors put in hundreds of hours creating a mod before uploading it for everyone to use. They will also include a ReadMe that will answer some questions if it is read.

Most problems people encounter are not unique and an answer can usually be found in the comments page.

I have seen the same question asked and answered on just about every comments page. Sometimes the same question appears twice on the same page.

If a person is too lazy and can't be bothered to do some research on their own, they don't deserve to use the mod.

Just my personal opinion and not directed to any one person in particular.

If you think that you are wasting your time researching a problem that five other people have already asked then why should a mod author waste their time answering a stupid redundant question that has already been asked? The author has provided you with free material to use in your game and should be free to enjoy their time as they see fit. They should be available if someone comes up with a new and unique issue that needs clarification but even this is not a requirement of uploading.

Rabbit

If you think that you are wasting your time researching a problem that five other people have already asked then why should a mod author waste their time answering a stupid redundant question that has already been asked? The author has provided you with free material to use in your game and should be free to enjoy their time as they see fit. They should be available if someone comes up with a new and unique issue that needs clarification but even this is not a requirement of uploading.

Rabbit

i dont think im wasting my time resaerching a problem other people have already. its just that i dont see how they can realistically expect you to read 600 pages worth of comments before posting your own.

i play to much skyrim to read 600 pages worth of comments.

Mod authors put in hundreds of hours creating a mod before uploading it for everyone to use. They will also include a ReadMe that will answer some questions if it is read.

Most problems people encounter are not unique and an answer can usually be found in the comments page.

I have seen the same question asked and answered on just about every comments page. Sometimes the same question appears twice on the same page.

If a person is too lazy and can't be bothered to do some research on their own, they don't deserve to use the mod.

Just my personal opinion and not directed to any one person in particular.

first of all, the "Just my personal opinion and not directed to any one person in particular" line is just so you can claim not wanting to start a fight or something.

if its not directed at anyone then why post it in the first place ? you clearly meant for me to read it.

second of all i am not lazy but reading through hundreds of pages of comments (ive seen one mods comments have like 900 pages although i cant remember wich one)

does not make me undeserving of using a mod.

i understand that alot of time, effort and trouble goes into making mods. but 900 pages of comment reading ? that could take all day!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe longer.

p.s. i want to make clear that i am very grateful for the mods and the people that work on them.

Not taking any sides in the opinions here, but, in all fairness, a re-occurring problem / question should be added to the F.A.Q. of the mod, to save people a lot of time looking through several pages.

It only takes the author a couple of minutes to write a few lines and this can save someone several hours.

Alternatively, you could also post on the forums and someone will probably help with the problem you have.

Just use the forum "search" function and see if someone posted similar questions before. You do know there is a little company with an URL like "google.com" is doing quite well these days...correct?

You are free to post the question to the forum (or FAQ if available) and with luck, some nicer folks will help with your issues. Or if you can self-help and search for existing posts. I am fairly certain the latter will get better result, faster.

Well, usually the 600 pages of comments do consists of many questions, and answers.

Nobody expects that you read through 600 pages of comments, but even first three - five pages can help you.
Especially if it is a popular mod there is much likely someone else having the same issue. In case nobody on recent comments has it, it's either non-breaking issue, or nobody has reported it (And in that case you should ask about it or take a look at your mod list, description etc.)

My first reaction was "Is this guy serious?".

When someone puts out a mod they have usually put alot of work in the content and ON TOP of that they have put in extra effort to package the thing, upload it here make a detailed description think about how to phrase things so everybody will understand, think about possible questions, create a FAQ, sometimes a readme, and then support the users who might have issues and usually don't describe their problems well.

So they have "wasted their time" just for your benefit.

Are you expected to read 49354808 pages of comments? No. But you are expected to make an effort resolving your issue on your own, and that includes reading through the comments. And, of course, the description and FAQ. If you have clearly not done that and are asking the same question that has been answered alot of times already you shouldn't expect an answer.