BLOG PIECE: Modding as a hobby versus modding as a career, and the position of the Nexus

Dark0ne

As far as I am concerned, a paid-for mod is no longer a mod, it is DLC -- developer is getting three quarters of the money. It's been coming for a long time, and now we will see...

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #23601084.

Yep you nailed. That's what i have been saying. A mod IS a dlc, but its a free one and its user generated. When it becomes a paid mod then its officially dlc but not even an official one. Guess who wins in this one...The developers. Any problem arise from the mod will be directed at the modder not the developers, any complains...goes to the modders. The developers will essentially be doing nothing other than sit and earn money of off other people's work while modders stand in front of any backlash.

In response to post #23597669.

With youtube monetization there are many claims of copyright that aren't even true. Someone will have made some music entirely on their own and get a copy write claim against the account(seen it talked about in youtube videos). If the person doesn't call up a lawyer, youtube will automatically monetize the video for the claimant. Thus the person making the claim gets the money from it.

I think they are rotten greedy grubby nasty little publishing houses, You dark one know better than any that this is the case as one of the two original mod site creators for Morrowind and your site is a success and the like's of Steam is absolutely Crud, maybe I am getting old but this idea just makes gaming so much less fun, sadly it show's Bethesda have completely forgotten the ethos they had when they created Morrowind and the first creation kit and may pave the way to rental game's with annual leases that expire, not cheaper (steam is full retail price but you don't get the disc or the case or the old maps and books that used to come with RPGs) but they will expire when your paid up subscription runs out and that is a whole scent I absolutely hate, software is on My computer, I paid for it and I regard it as my property in that regard but then even the operating systems are going that way and old style Mainframe cloud computing which as like resurrecting the dinosaurs instead of giving us mini computers on our desktops has resurfaced, to play a pun on words it is terminal for the personal computer enthusiast.

I have no problem with modders making money and actually think it a good idea, in fact I think a portal at the nexus for just this would make a good sister site for your premium members to showcase there wares as an alternative to the dreadful steam but then you are up against that set up and they can tinker with the games internal code with an update or legally binding small print so it would probably be a small window and not last, then again they might then offer to buy out the nexus and move it into there's but that would see a huge exodus to whatever other site you then set up.

Edited by LABTECH

I sincerely hope I am not the only one that trips over this 25/75 cut. This is not right.

While I do not want to sound unappreciative or underestimating of Steam's role in this: is the effort and time modders spend, and the amazing results they often achieve (and let's not forget the support hassles that come with a popular mod!)... is that really worth that little compared to 'just' enabling this option?

That right there is the part that most bothers me about this, to be honest. Yes, money will no doubt bring more contention between modders, but content-creating communities (modding is just one manifestation) have dealt with this before, and survived, and even thrived, once the changed ground-rules have been established. I'm not too worried about that.

I'm not even a modder, by any right (discounting some .. let's call it tweaking, that I do now and then). But right now, contemplating this 25/75 'offer', the main overwhelming feeling is that it feels highly exploitative, with the developers and Steam clearly winning the most out of this, and quite honestly, not deservedly so.

I do hope free modding, as a hobby, goes on. I hope sites like Nexus go on. I honestly expect they will, no matter how this evolves.

At the same time, I do think it should be possible for good mods to earn a buck for the authors. I think the Nexus has it right, with voluntary donations that go entirely towards the mod authors, and the Premium options to thank the enabling platform (I wrote 'fund' at first, but that would not be the right word).

There was zero, ZERO, time or effort from any game developer or publisher expended in most(*) of the myriads of amazing mods hosted here. Yes, some of them include game assets. But let's not forget that each and every one of these mods is meant to be used only within the context of the game those assets came from, games assets that both the modders and the players already paid for to use. So I stand by my opinion that a mod is 100% the work of the mod authors, and if and when deserving of payment, the author 'cut' should reflect that.

(*: I appreciate the exceptional and rare circumstance where one of the developers actually helped or assisted, sometimes just by giving out a crucial bit of information that was needed to solve a bug or incompatibility... it has happened, and hopefully will continue to happen. I would equally welcome having the option to donate -money, or a pizza or sixpack or flowers- towards a helpful developer for such gems of cooperation.)

There is a simple divide in the modding community that will come into question. That divide is, those who use existing content and content other people made, and those who actually make their content.

Do those who use the works of others get the same price considerations as the very, very few of us who actually make our own content? And what about all the folks who ask to use the content someone else made? I have pieces out there that are so popular they are in the thumbnails of literally hundreds of YouTube videos, yet neither my original mod they came from, nor I am mentioned anywhere. Only the people who re uploaded my original content are mentioned.

I've also seen a few cases where people were hired on with studios simply for re uploading the work of others. You can see the problems arising.

Also, as has already been mentioned, what about theft? Steam and Nexus are fast at removing illegal content if the one who actually owns it is reporting it. Nexus is fast at removing illegal content when someone else reports it. But Valve can take over a year to remove an illegal item if it is not the owner reporting it. Their average time in this case is 9 months, if any action is taken at all. And even then, the perp is still able to repeat the offense, since no action is taken against them.

I won't even get into the quagmire that is Linden Research, who is the most plagiarism friendly company I have ever encountered.

Edited by Mr. Dave

In response to post #23596219. #23596384, #23596664, #23597949, #23599274, #23599649, #23600629 are all replies on the same post.

I agree with EnaiSiaion.
I fear the current friendly competition between modders would evolve into a war without rules. Of course, the mod quality could increase with payments (money can really speed up and improve projects...), but I have another idea:

The Nexus could introduce a fundraiser system: anyone can show a project he's working on and ask for money to pay expert people and buy advanced programs.
The quality would increase, the mod would remains free, and the author's bank account wouldn't be "damaged".

Of course, not all good mods require professional programs or teams!
Many free programs allow you to create great mods with a good quality for free. Maybe you won't have all advanced tools, but nothing is impossible if you have skills OR willing to do. Also, many great mods on the Nexus have been created by lone authors.