How To Become A Modder

simplywayne90

The race is just one Trait in the Actor/NPC object, and race deals with physical appearance only.

SPECIAL attributes are determined by the Class (also an Actor Value) so when you create a new NPC object you assign the Race for basic physical appearance, and assign the Class for the particular SPECIAL and Tag skills. If you examine the vanilla humanoid companions like Cass and Veronica, for example, you see they each have their own Class so their SPECIAL are unique to them, but it has nothing to do with their race as far as GECK is concerned.

Other unique attributes are typically handled through Perks or Scripts or a combination of both. They need to be applied to the Actor base object or sometimes a specific instance.

If you want unique physical appearance attributes, such as unique eyes, hair, etc., these of course are handled within the Race object. Hair for example is created in the "Character" -> Hair drop down menu. Once it's created you drag and drop it to the list in the Race window. Once you've done that you can go back to your Actor / NPC object window and GECK will allow you to choose the hair you added.

A couple of NPC's I've worked on had a unique, non-playable race created for them so they could be made to look unique. I suppose in one sense you could think of the Race, Class and NPC objects as parts of a whole, but it doesn't change how GECK deals with them.

Hope that helps some.

Yes, it does, you've given me good food for thought. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif I'll try to adjust the way I think of these things and look into the GECK again. Thank you!

edit: I think what I'm looking for might be a perk or a script, then, as I want to add bonuses and penalties to the Specials of a character race and not have fixed attributes (like Cass, etc)...brain hurts now, must try later. I certainly know nothing about perks...can't figure out the why and how and what at all right now.

Edited by WizardOfAtlantis

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have to admit I have limited experience with perks as they are supposed to be implemented. I think they offer a lot of power to modders but I've not yet utilized their full potential, I tend to use scripts because I understand those better.

But there are a lot of perks in the game you can study, you might do better than I have. I know I'd like to do better in this area.

• 1 month later...
Hey, I know you like to keep your info up to date and I don't know if you already have this covered in this thread but I've posted up a useful tutorial on how to merge multiple .esp's together using TESSnip. It's pretty useful if you need to merge a bunch of small plugins together into one comprehensible mod. Here's the link.

• 5 months later...

Well hopefully the reason people will read this is because they want to make what they would like to see in fallout or to help us beginners

Wasn't trying to shoot you down or anything, just giving my input.

I actually think it's great you made the threads. But I am just saying I doubt many people will mod.

/agree with crosssfirex about it being great you made these threads simplywayne90, anyways i want to start with weapon mods when i get acquainted with the modding programs, i was thinking of doing random stuff but that probably isn't a good idea

Edited by Guest

Well hopefully the reason people will read this is because they want to make what they would like to see in fallout or to help us beginners

Wasn't trying to shoot you down or anything, just giving my input.

I actually think it's great you made the threads. But I am just saying I doubt many people will mod.

/agree with crosssfirex about it being great you made these threads simplywayne90, anyways i want to start with weapon mods when i get acquainted with the modding programs, i was thinking of doing random stuff but that probably isn't a good idea

Doing random stuff is a terrible idea. Start with something you want to do, find out how to do it, and do that either until you're successful or confused. If you end up confused, seek help - be it a wiki, an example that already exists in-game or a (willing) fellow modder - and once you've got some help keep trying until you either get confused again or succeed. Repeating until you manage what you aimed for is the majority of all modding. Nihil Novae sub sole (as Arcade Gannon says), and there's not much that can't be aided by a look at what's already been done.

Start by aiming low. Project nevada was not coded in a day, after all. Once you've done something simple, try something more complex, and so on, always building from things you already know you can do.

Finally, before you consider sharing your creations, pause and think whether others will appreciate what you're sharing. With time, this will become a 'yes' far more often, but in the beginning when you're making giant geckos, mini nuke miniguns and lasers that shoot nukes, save them for yourself. They're something everyone tries - and should try - but they're usually only of value to you in what you've learned, rather than to what you've created.

Now go forth, and enrich yourself.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This is actually quite usefull... I wanted to make Yoko ritonas actual light fifty (not a geck modded anti material rifle)... to match her awesome outfit plus i also wanted to do the AN-94 (model isnt hard to find just hard to make :/ ) and also some highschool of the dead mods (maybe even a quest) but thanks dude now i can try and get started (at least on the light fifty to begin with I think)

• 5 months later...

Really the only thing you need to learn how to mod is a strong desire to mod and actually end up following through with it. And the GECK lol

Guest deleted2159825

Really the only thing you need to learn how to mod is a strong desire to mod and actually end up following through with it. And the GECK lol

Alcohol helps.

Alcohol helps.

As well as a crap ton of free time and a bowl of Cheetos.