Nexus hacking

Dark0ne

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know if this is a issue or related etc but I just downloaded a file and the number of users on the servers is conciderably higher than I have seen before. The Washington server always stays between 400 to 600 users but right now it says 13000+ the dallas server number is normally around 300 its several thousand also. It might be a mess up on my end as I am only online through a blackberry but I haven't ever seen the numbers that high, so you should confirm the servers are secure so you don't get the bill etc. Hope it is just a weird thing on my end and the nexus is fine.

@Mephy101: If this was someone serious about utilizing the servers for their own ends they would have covered their tracks. From what was posted regarding details, this is almost definitely some incompetent tool using info he found online to attempt to do some damage for whatever odd-ball reason he/she might have.

In general, a client I work for had their SQL server hacked a while back, and much like this instance, he/she was very easily tracked (hosting files in a fake "recycling bin" that stood out like a sore thumb lol). But as far as pursuing legal avenues, you have to realize how expensive that can get... It's a lot easier to harden your defenses and learn how they got in to prevent it from happening again. Just my own experience.

One thing I recommend is to sign up for a Yahoo mailbox. I use Yahoo.co.uk, and they offer 500 so called disposable e-mail addresses (e-mail aliases). Basically, it means that you have a main e-mail address that you don't use anywhere except to log in to your e-mail account on Yahoo. You can then create disposable e-mail addresses (e-mail aliases) and use them to sign up to different sites. If a disposable address starts receiving spam, you just delete it and create a new one, and change your e-mail address at the site where you registered with it. I always create site specific disposable addresses (e.g. my Nexus sign-up address looks like [email protected], for Photobucket it is [email protected], etc.). The benefit of this trick is that you will be able to identifiy which of the sites that you signed up to has been compromised.

Also, if you have trouble remembering passwords and login names, you can use an excellent free tool called KeePass. It stores all your login details in an encrypted database that can be secured with a master password and a master key (you can store the master key on a pendrive, and keep it separate from the database).

About taking action against the hacker, I say, do it. If people are not taught by their parents that their actions may have severe consequences, they should learn it the hard way.

While I can understand and completely support your annoyance, I would argue that there is no reason for you to be embarrassed. Rather the script kiddy should be both ashamed and embarrassed but unfortunately this is unlikely as we all know. We can only hope that he/she will grow up and gain some wisdom and maturity.

I for one greatly appreciate your efforts on the Nexus sites ... thank you!

My email has received spam but no worries ... Yahoo thumped them quite nicely.