What if Todd was one of us?

Deleted1217574User

I'm very proud of that topic title, by the way...

Anyway, I was just wondering, has any member of Bethesda's staff mentioned downloading mods, or more specifically using the Nexus? I mean, it stands to reason; it almost goes without saying that there are Bethesda staff members using the mods, but I just wonder what the likelihood of them being involved; maybe seeing some of the many threads where people post there hopes for ES5, and such as.

Doubtful at best. Think that if they do look at mods, it'll be PES since they're more official. And, pretty sure they stopped even looking somewhere a few months before SI was released just because those people were no longer working on anything ES related. This is suggested by the lack of most of the fixes done by mods, even before SI, and generally ignoring the community for anything other than copyright issues.

Well, that's disappointing to hear, that they've never been too active. With mods like Deadly Reflex/Unnecessary Violence, or Midas Magic, or any of the tons of race mods and whatnot, they could get a pretty good idea of what people actually want in the game. It's a shame to think that all that feedback probably goes unnoticed. And really? PES is more official? I thought it was just another fan site, with less of an offering than the Nexus. I guess the lack of bugfixes was a pretty big giveaway, though... God help us if there isn't an SDK released, and therefore no Unofficial Skyrim Patch.

Doubtful at best. Think that if they do look at mods, it'll be PES since they're more official. And, pretty sure they stopped even looking somewhere a few months before SI was released just because those people were no longer working on anything ES related. This is suggested by the lack of most of the fixes done by mods, even before SI, and generally ignoring the community for anything other than copyright issues.

I fail to see how PES is more official. Neither PES nor Nexus is official in any capacity. They're both fan sites. I'm also pretty sure that by the time SI came along and was released the devs had already been told they weren't going to be working with the same engine for Skyrim and therefore had no real reason to pay attention to modders making bugfixes.

Nearly all of the remaining bugs are fixable by the UOP anyway and as far as anyone can tell they never incorporated UOP fixes into the master Oblivion.esm file.

I fail to see how PES is more official.

PES was seen as more official since it was something that I believe the corporate setup. PES isn't exactly a "fan-site" since it is run by IGN who also runs the Direct2Drive site, among other things. Additionally, when Oblivion was first released PES was listed as where people could upload/download mods. There were also reports of Bethsoft Devs who used those forums. As far as I know, there has never been anyone "official" on these forums or site.

Maybe it was just the conditions of the time. I suspect now though that if there were to be an "official" place they'd come here instead since this is by far the largest Oblivion site on the net. I don't know about anyone else but I rarely go anywhere else to look for mods.

Maybe it was just the conditions of the time. I suspect now though that if there were to be an "official" place they'd come here instead since this is by far the largest Oblivion site on the net. I don't know about anyone else but I rarely go anywhere else to look for mods.

Again, I would point out that much of the arrangement with PES was not necessarily about what or how many mods were hosted there, but was probably more about their various deals with IGN. It's a money matters thing, and the site would probably need to go full corporate (probably a bad thing all things considered) in order to get any real attention or partnership. At the moment, this site is treated like any other fan-site, mostly ignored, but occasionally tossed a bone here and there in some off-hand remark or gesture. In the grand scheme of things, the modding community is usually a minor concern, let alone just one single section of that community. Even among those few published bits about mods for games seem to only include mods which are present on other sites.