Paid mods for skyrim workshop on steam

Nexures

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Valve doesn't put the kaibosh on this, which they probably won't because they're evil money-grubbing f*#@ers who don't give a s*** about gamers and haven't since 2007 when they decided to just refuse to work on the promised Episode 3 (and yes, it was promised), the only way to kill this is to make the pay-for workshop unusable.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430858236&searchtext=

This guy has the right idea.

1) Release mods that seem functional, but carry 'logic bombs' in them that corrupt and destroy save games when you try to remove it, or do something like contain script timers with no stoppages so they eventually bloat and make the game unstable.

2) Create fake mods that seem amazing, but are locked in some fashion until the 24 hour 'refund' timer elapses. Tie it to endgame content, or simply put an in-game timer that locks it. People who are buying on the Workshop are probably not familiar with the console and Creation Kit. When they access the content, they find out that it's one really neat area where you took your screenshots, and then a few rooms of untextured, half-assed garbage.

3) Maliciously hand out reviews that make the 'popularity' rating put garbage, terrible ripoff mods at the top. Good mods should be downvoted by EVERYONE to sink them in the list. s*** mods like the one I linked should be sent to the top.

If we fill the pay-for Workshop with terrible game-ruining content, it undermines all faith anyone has in the system, and customers will be turned away from it. Valve will have to deal with the fallout of people's games being corrupted by shitty modding, and the 'modders' run away with the cash.

Sometimes the only way to fight evil is with evil.

I think a better option would just be to not use it.

If the majority of modders rufuse to monetize their work, or upload it to steam workshop, but instead continue to make good, high quality, free mods and post them on the nexus, then people will say "Why am I buying this weapon pack for $5 when I can get 50 weapon packs on nexus for free"??

If a mod author makes an amazing mod and puts it behind a paywall, well then take it as inspritation, and make your own vesrion of it and distribute for free.

Let me highlight the key part for you.

IF the majority of modders rufuse to monetize their work. IF.

Modders will follow the money. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your lives, people will gradually migrate over with the allure of money. You cannot rely on altruism alone to win the day, and Valve isn't going to bring down the monetized workshop just because it doesn't have quite as much content as they want.

Only by systematic destruction of its basic operation is going to stand a chance of doing that. As long as people are paying money for mods, Valve will keep it open. People still stop paying money when the mods they buy turn out to be traps, undermining consumer confidence in the product. If Valve decides the headache is too much, they'll stop it then and only then.

Traitors like Chesko and Isoku are only going to pull their content if we bury their mods in terrible ratings, fill their inboxes to the brim every day, and make derivative ripoff mods of their content and encourage people to buy those instead (content that is maliciously designed to destroy the purchaser's game).

Been Modding since 1989 and those who force players into a corner and demand money for a mod they are no modder. Modders give freely and only ask for money in a style of a donation never demand it or deny a person a mod for the sake of greed. That is against what me and other modders started so many years ago. Modding is about sharing with others and breathing new life into a game. You don't do modding for your own selfish greed. That is a spit in the face of every modder who openly shared for the love the game and the love of the community. So stand up and say no to this mess and all those who support it. Stand tall and never surrender just say no to force payment for a mod.

If Valve doesn't put the kaibosh on this, which they probably won't because they're evil money-grubbing f*#@ers who don't give a s*** about gamers and haven't since 2007 when they decided to just refuse to work on the promised Episode 3 (and yes, it was promised), the only way to kill this is to make the pay-for workshop unusable.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430858236&searchtext=

This guy has the right idea.

1) Release mods that seem functional, but carry 'logic bombs' in them that corrupt and destroy save games when you try to remove it, or do something like contain script timers with no stoppages so they eventually bloat and make the game unstable.

2) Create fake mods that seem amazing, but are locked in some fashion until the 24 hour 'refund' timer elapses. Tie it to endgame content, or simply put an in-game timer that locks it. People who are buying on the Workshop are probably not familiar with the console and Creation Kit. When they access the content, they find out that it's one really neat area where you took your screenshots, and then a few rooms of untextured, half-assed garbage.

3) Maliciously hand out reviews that make the 'popularity' rating put garbage, terrible ripoff mods at the top. Good mods should be downvoted by EVERYONE to sink them in the list. s*** mods like the one I linked should be sent to the top.

If we fill the pay-for Workshop with terrible game-ruining content, it undermines all faith anyone has in the system, and customers will be turned away from it. Valve will have to deal with the fallout of people's games being corrupted by shitty modding, and the 'modders' run away with the cash.

Sometimes the only way to fight evil is with evil.

I think a better option would just be to not use it.

If the majority of modders rufuse to monetize their work, or upload it to steam workshop, but instead continue to make good, high quality, free mods and post them on the nexus, then people will say "Why am I buying this weapon pack for $5 when I can get 50 weapon packs on nexus for free"??

If a mod author makes an amazing mod and puts it behind a paywall, well then take it as inspritation, and make your own vesrion of it and distribute for free.

Let me highlight the key part for you.

IF the majority of modders rufuse to monetize their work. IF.

Modders will follow the money. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your lives, people will gradually migrate over with the allure of money. You cannot rely on altruism alone to win the day, and Valve isn't going to bring down the monetized workshop just because it doesn't have quite as much content as they want.

Only by systematic destruction of its basic operation is going to stand a chance of doing that. As long as people are paying money for mods, Valve will keep it open. People still stop paying money when the mods they buy turn out to be traps, undermining consumer confidence in the product. If Valve decides the headache is too much, they'll stop it then and only then.

Traitors like Chesko and Isoku are only going to pull their content if we bury their mods in terrible ratings, fill their inboxes to the brim every day, and make derivative ripoff mods of their content and encourage people to buy those instead (content that is maliciously designed to destroy the purchaser's game).

Yea I know, the cynical side of me tells me you're right, and I already had that in my mind.

But seeing this huge backlash gives me hope, hope that people won't let the dolla signs blind them.

This is just so incredibly stupid.

Valve basically just created a DLC version of the Xbox Live Arcade, and I think we all know how great and wonderful those games on that were, don't we?

Whoever came up with this idea, I hope you burn in Hell.

I still think of steam as the stuff that comes from my rear end after morning coffee, just wrapped in plastic and passed off as chocolate based on visual representation alone.

No thank you steam and no thank you steam workshop, keep your money grubbing hands off the modding communities livelihood.

It's not about modders getting paid for their efforts, it's about how much these companies can squeeze out other peoples effort and get away with because people are sheep.

I will never agree with steam directly or intentionally.

I will never support modders who want to turn a hobby in to leach you for the efforts of my hobby via a third party company.

I have no objection to directly paying the modder the full amount without the middle man skimming the milk.

For the very little amount of mods I currently use, I would happily pay the original authors of those mods as long as every cent goes to the author.

No ifs, no buts about it for me.