Paid mods for skyrim workshop on steam

Nexures

How much a modder usually makes with the donate system anyway? I mean rough numbers... 5% of the download number donates $10,00 more or less? If steam is getting 75% for someone else works how many purchases would be needed for someone to actually make some money? Does it worth?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The modders only get 25% of the revenue, steam gets the rest.

Why they need more cash?! Is half life 3 that expensive to make?! Why not make the modders get all the cash?! What about free meshes and textures from other modders who made them?!

Why not add a donation button?!

Hail the nexus!

Steam is playing with fire.

My mods are insignificant but who knows, some random guy might stumble, use it as derivative and make money.

I dont want money, and no biggie if someone sees the idea and makes a better mod, that benefits the community and me as well, but making cash on other peoples work or visions and ideas?! I hate that thought!

I hope steam is ready to get sued by lots of people over this. xD
S*it just got real! xD

Edited by theimmersion

The modders only get 25% of the revenue, steam gets the rest.

Why they need more cash?! Is half life 3 that expensive to make?! Why not make the modders get all the cash?! What about free meshes and textures from other modders who made them?!

Why not add a donation button?!

Hail the nexus!

Nah, HL3 isnt that expenisve, the pockets and wallets just got deeper and needs more cash to fill it, thats all. Ya know, it streched from all the cash and now needs more. xD

I think Valve and Bethesda are exploiting modders the way capitalists exploit their workers. From what I have read, authors of curated mods on Steam Workshop only get 25% of the cost of their mod. Is that is true,then that is pure theft. The modder spends hours creating something of valve but Valve and Bethsda, who don't lift a finger, take most of the money. Despicable.

What I'd say...

My 1st reaction, when I turned Steam on and saw the news... I raged. For real. If you charge money for everything - you are greedy.

It's clear that some people try to earn their living by "creating" weapons for cs-go and dota. Still IMHO its a wrong way to earn money and wrong way of living. But the main benefit goes to Valve.

Back in time Gabe proved to have an outstanding independent point of view for gaming (John Carmark tend to say shooters don't need a plot ever (Doom). HL1 proved shooter CAN be great with a plot.)

But now he's the head of the best (for now) gaming company. I start thinking, that all he's interested in is money. And for me, a gamer, it's a bad sign.

Just like when Notch grabbed 2.5$ bln and refused to take responsobility for the greateset community ever made.

Great projects bring great responsobility. What people use their acquired power for - is on their conscience.

I think Valve and Bethesda are exploiting modders the way capitalists exploit their workers. From what I have read, authors of curated mods on Steam Workshop only get 25% of the cost of their mod. Is that is true,then that is pure theft. The modder spends hours creating something of valve but Valve and Bethsda, who don't lift a finger, take most of the money. Despicable.

There is no better way then sticking it to the man than a modder saying "eff you Steam! I'm uploading my mod to Nexus! For the Skyrim Community! Put your greedy little mits back in yer pockets!"

So, the modders only receive 25% and did anyone happen to notice this?

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshoppaymentinfofaq

http://i.imgur.com/ZvlIIe2.png

And I bet that $100 is after the 75% cut, so $400. What a joke. I fully support modders, you guys are fantastic, but this is an absolute joke.

Edited by Entw1ne

So, the modders only receive 25% and did anyone happen to notice this?

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshoppaymentinfofaq

http://i.imgur.com/ZvlIIe2.png

And I bet that $100 is after the 75% cut, so $400. What a joke. I fully support modders, you guys are fantastic, but this is an absolute joke.

Modders selling out and devs laughing their way to the bank. A sad day indeed. Somewhere out there, Wrye is sobbing in a burning cathedral.

Edited by Eiries