Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24578069. #24578114, #24578164, #24578219, #24578734 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote:
Salzber wrote: Doesn't change him agreeing and joining to begin with.
Arendella wrote: He may of had a choice and his own choice to put his mod there and such, but there is no excuse for what he did. I'm sorry but I won't use his mods anymore and I will tell others to not support it as well. In terms of business, all it takes is bad reputation to outweigh the good ones.
WightMage wrote: I'm not saying that I support his decision, just been spending the past hour getting scoops and posting them here for others to read.

In other news, there's a rumor that some of the mod authors have taken to changing their Steam handles due to the sheer amount of hate they're getting.
Impulseman45 wrote: NDA my ass. There was a very simple answer to Valve and Bethesda on this and that was "NO". Absolutely not. But they chose to drink the cool aid as I like to say. They got suckered in. What did Valve do and or say to them about the other modding avenues and do they know something that they still can tell us. Like a possible total lock out of all non sanctioned Workshop mods is coming and this was the time to jump on or get out of the way. Something more is going here and these guys are not telling the whole truth about it. They know more and they cant say anything for fear of what? Getting locked out of the modding scene completely? Makes you wonder what the heck is really going on here.

Like I said 100 posts away, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the "agreement" offered to modders to monetize their work would be to make it a "Workshop exclusive". Edited by Hoamaii

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24577779. #24578409, #24578564, #24578794 are all replies on the same post.

Jsmorris14 wrote:
Brasscatcher wrote: *never* comment via steam(or a steam-related service) about steam (or a steam-related service). It's the only time and place valve will actively moderate. lol.
knightspk2 wrote: Haha, as if... I was banned for quoting someone who said Nvidia was better than AMD. But whatever, be careful when posting things against Steam on Steam, but definitely still do it. Valve needs to see.
Jsmorris14 wrote: lol I can see that now. but still I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to a lot of people today.

This certainly has left a bitter taste in my mouth. the last year and a half I have been working on a mod called Skyrim Holds Redone. Countless hours have been put into it but its all been for the community and myself to experience Skyrim with about 50% percent bigger holds. It always bothered me it takes 3 min to run to whiterun from riverwood so I did something about it lol. It just went from there. not even close to being done but I still wanna see how all this plays out.

See? That's where I am. "Wait and see" "see how this all plays out" and whatnot. Nothing about the way they rolled out this...egh..."service" has been confidence-inducing. I'm not at all interested in having to parley with lawyers because of a damn nipple ring mod or whatever.

If Bethsoft was trying to go hard like the Nordic civil war IRL edition...they've succeeded!

In response to post #24577779. #24578409, #24578564, #24578794, #24578934 are all replies on the same post.

Jsmorris14 wrote:
Brasscatcher wrote: *never* comment via steam(or a steam-related service) about steam (or a steam-related service). It's the only time and place valve will actively moderate. lol.
knightspk2 wrote: Haha, as if... I was banned for quoting someone who said Nvidia was better than AMD. But whatever, be careful when posting things against Steam on Steam, but definitely still do it. Valve needs to see.
Jsmorris14 wrote: lol I can see that now. but still I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to a lot of people today.

This certainly has left a bitter taste in my mouth. the last year and a half I have been working on a mod called Skyrim Holds Redone. Countless hours have been put into it but its all been for the community and myself to experience Skyrim with about 50% percent bigger holds. It always bothered me it takes 3 min to run to whiterun from riverwood so I did something about it lol. It just went from there. not even close to being done but I still wanna see how all this plays out.
Brasscatcher wrote: See? That's where I am. "Wait and see" "see how this all plays out" and whatnot. Nothing about the way they rolled out this...egh..."service" has been confidence-inducing. I'm not at all interested in having to parley with lawyers because of a damn nipple ring mod or whatever.

If Bethsoft was trying to go hard like the Nordic civil war IRL edition...they've succeeded!

Banned from Steam? I didn't even know they could do that? How can they do that, you're a customer, it'd be like Microsoft banning you from their services because you said you hate 8.1?!..

As I feared, all this hubbub has completely sapped my will and/or desire to even play Skyrim.

For about thirty minutes I stared at the login screen asking myself questions like "Do I even WANT there to be an Elder Scrolls VI??"

Hopefully it will pass....but tonight, I genuinely feel like Skyrim's time is over.

In response to post #24578069. #24578114, #24578164, #24578219, #24578734, #24578914 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote:
Salzber wrote: Doesn't change him agreeing and joining to begin with.
Arendella wrote: He may of had a choice and his own choice to put his mod there and such, but there is no excuse for what he did. I'm sorry but I won't use his mods anymore and I will tell others to not support it as well. In terms of business, all it takes is bad reputation to outweigh the good ones.
WightMage wrote: I'm not saying that I support his decision, just been spending the past hour getting scoops and posting them here for others to read.

In other news, there's a rumor that some of the mod authors have taken to changing their Steam handles due to the sheer amount of hate they're getting.
Impulseman45 wrote: NDA my ass. There was a very simple answer to Valve and Bethesda on this and that was "NO". Absolutely not. But they chose to drink the cool aid as I like to say. They got suckered in. What did Valve do and or say to them about the other modding avenues and do they know something that they still can tell us. Like a possible total lock out of all non sanctioned Workshop mods is coming and this was the time to jump on or get out of the way. Something more is going here and these guys are not telling the whole truth about it. They know more and they cant say anything for fear of what? Getting locked out of the modding scene completely? Makes you wonder what the heck is really going on here.
Hoamaii wrote: Like I said 100 posts away, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the "agreement" offered to modders to monetize their work would be to make it a "Workshop exclusive".

You've got the right of it, Hoamaii. (I owe you some screenshots, btw. CLEARSKY FRICKEN ROCKS. I wouldn't have been so stoked about trying my own hand at modding skyrim if it wasn't for sexy player homes like yours.)

I'm troubled by the POTENTIAL consequences, fiscal, legal, and political this could have on the ecosystem of modding.

I have been a modder since the day that EverQuest made their UI moddable... Quite a long time ago! Modding, to me, is about adjusting or improving the way a game looks or functions in order to benefit a subset of players. I'd never dream of charging for that.

What troubles me about Steam's move here, though, is that some of the commercial mods blatantly require SKSE. However, I am under the impression that SKSE's developers will not receive a cut of the profits.

This is an incredibly shortsighted move by Steam that deserves the glut of negative feedback it is currently receiving.

In response to post #24578889.

zblues wrote:

If we're lucky, nothing will happen, and stuff will continue as usual, albeit with fewer modders on Steam Workshop emigrating here.

If we roll a 1 on a d20, then Steam/Bethesda will force Dark0ne to close the Nexus or be destroyed.

So.... yeah.

In response to post #24577779. #24578409, #24578564, #24578794, #24578934, #24579004 are all replies on the same post.

Jsmorris14 wrote:

Brasscatcher wrote: See? That's where I am. "Wait and see" "see how this all plays out" and whatnot. Nothing about the way they rolled out this...egh..."service" has been confidence-inducing. I'm not at all interested in having to parley with lawyers because of a damn nipple ring mod or whatever.

Hoamaii wrote: Banned from Steam? I didn't even know they could do that? How can they do that, you're a customer, it'd be like Microsoft banning you from their services because you said you hate 8.1?!..

The downside to Steam is that you don't own anything you pay for there. You are permitted to access games on the steam service completely at the will of Valve. Read their EULA.