Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

I have to say that THIS is a bad idea for mod makers in general.

If u wanna pay for a mod to support a mod developer i would,but i dont wanna give money to Bethesda and Valve too cause they didnt do ANY work.Ok sure, if the model was 80% mod author,and the rest is split between Valve and Bethesda i would undertsand that.Valve promotes the mod and deserves a bit of the money and Bethesda made the game and tool(although buggy as hell) to make the mods but that gives them 10% each at the most,NOT 75 PERCENT OF SOMEONES HARD WORK.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24589329. #24589589, #24589619 are all replies on the same post.

Maverick11 wrote:
DiaSin wrote: The modders get a maximum of 25% of the profit. How is this them getting what they deserve?
Arendella wrote: Everyone has even said they should of done this years ago.
Back in 2012-2013 when the modding scene was booming and Skyrim's modding community was huge.

A lot of them left nexus, and they could of easily made more money and if they polished it better instead of this really dumbass way of 75% of your proceeds which is Absolutely nothing I might add for the modder themselves, it probably wouldn't of been as a big deal.

I don't think anyone is condemning mod authors for wanting a bit of commercial recompense. Anyone who's made a mod knows how labour intensive it can be.

I think the big complaint is how Valve/Bethesda are handling that business model; they're stripping 75% of that profit away for something that they were happy being distributed for nothing?

That and it completely changes the way the community works. I don't think anyone would complain about having a more prevalent donations system with recommended donations. That at least would be keeping with the ethos of the community.

I personally don't have a problem with paying authors for good work, but let me try it first, don't put it behind a paywall.

Only problem with this is that mods dont going to stay on the toplist if they are charged for money on steam.

And then they dont going to be tested too. I dont going to pay 4-5 euros for one mod that is full of bugs anyway. And for some mods you need to have 5 other mods for it to work. So it be 5 euro x 5 then. 25 euro to get one mod to work lol.

I dont think this system going to stay, its worse then any update EA have done and I think mods going to lose popularity very fast when peoples starts to realise they cant play with that mod without to pay alot of money.

In response to post #24561804. #24586249, #24586464 are all replies on the same post.

Jerethi50 wrote:
Bayz wrote: I don't codone insults, but why would it be a shame exactly? You have people like isoku charging 4,59€ for a mod that requires SKSE and that uses assets he did not create, yet he monetizes for his own gain...

Why is it you feel we need people like him profiteering on other people's work?
phantompally76 wrote: I don't condone that behavior, but I don't blame them, either. Isoku has been hyping up the new versions of those mods for weeks. Not once did he mention that they would only be available upon release on Steam, with a price tag. Now I'm sure folks will retort "He couldn't mention it, he was under a NDA."....well, that's not the point. Respect and integrity works both ways. For all intents and purposes, the versions of Wet and Cold and iNeed we, the modding community, have been endorsing, playtesting and debugging for months and months are now both abandonware, and will no longer be supported. That leaves the modding community two choices; 1). Buy into Valve's Ponzi scheme and become part of the problem that will ultimately dissolve the modding community, or 2). Refuse to upgrade to, endorse or support the author's latest versions.

I've made my choice. And that's all I can do.

3) make Damp and Chilly and release it for free.

In response to post #24588269. #24588304, #24588364, #24588424, #24588514, #24588519, #24588644, #24588724, #24589624, #24589729 are all replies on the same post.

Ventry wrote:
badiyee85 wrote: how would piracy even happen?

let's take for example "purity", or god forbid those "sange and Yasha" or "butterfly" items that were inspired from DoTA.

You pay for it, then have your money refunded, managed to get the items pirated, but sites like Nexus won't host it because of the rules set in the first place (no stealing)

So where?
sc0608023 wrote: Some underground places on the internet. The nexus is not the only place you can download mods from...
badiyee85 wrote: well, let's just say, okay, its pirated.

now you've found a place.

But how about other modders? it won't stop them from having the mindset "hey let me milk the money out of these suckers".

There has to be a better way that both sides win, but in these cases we users are at the ransom of these mods..

heck, you know what? LET'S CALL THEM RANSOMMODS! :D

we'll buy NO RANSONMODS!
boulegue wrote: what if the modder would never have the oppurtunity to create a mod because he can't afford the free time?
jonman122 wrote: It still needs to go in to the data files, so you download the mod, copy the files, refund, voila. That or torrent sites, whatever you want to do really.
badiyee85 wrote: @boulegue:

if he doesn't have a free time, he has to make his own free time.

He's not "ENTITLED" to think "let me sacrifice my time here because I know I'll be compensated in monetary terms".

This is a mindset that should not even exist.
boulegue wrote: and we're not entitled to think we deserve something for free
sc0608023 wrote: Indeed we're not entitled to anything. All I'm worried about is, this is likely to change the modding community once and for all.

As long as the whole paid mods thing keep being small-scale, non-influential, and the modding community as we all know it remain its current state, I'm fine by that. However, we all know this is never gonna be the case.

It will change everything. It will hurt the modding community and the modding itself. Modding, will lose its energy and wither away eventually. This is the last thing I want to see!
boulegue wrote: the problem is none of us knows what will happen we're all just speculating to me it seems more that it's a test run for valve and bethesda if its an option for future games but thats just speculation i don't think bethesda would ever take away free mods because it's not hurting them they're just winning off of free mods if they make a hybrid model where authors choose if they want to monetize their mods or give them out for free wouldnt that be great for almost everyone? almost..

He's not "ENTITLED" to think "let me sacrifice my time here because I know I'll be compensated in monetary terms".

Erm... this is exactly how anyone who is employed operates. How is this any different?

You give up some free time to do something that earns money to pay for the free time you are left with. Unless you're of course a sponging career benefits fraudster in which case the concept of earning a living will be lost on you (please don't read into that comment that i think you are one just that someone who is would think that way).

It just should come down to whether or not you think it's worth the money and if it's not, well, don't buy it. I know I certainly wont partake in buying any mods I don't think are worth it but I certainly won't object to someone who spends time creating something thinking he could actually make a little money out of it.

I'm more ill at ease with valve taking 75% having done absolutely nothing other than provide a platform in which to sell them. In my opinion the ratio should be the other way round. Edited by JazBlade

In response to post #24589329. #24589589, #24589619, #24589869 are all replies on the same post.

Maverick11 wrote:
DiaSin wrote: The modders get a maximum of 25% of the profit. How is this them getting what they deserve?
Back in 2012-2013 when the modding scene was booming and Skyrim's modding community was huge.

A lot of them left nexus, and they could of easily made more money and if they polished it better instead of this really dumbass way of 75% of your proceeds which is Absolutely nothing I might add for the modder themselves, it probably wouldn't of been as a big deal.
Daiyus wrote: I don't think anyone is condemning mod authors for wanting a bit of commercial recompense. Anyone who's made a mod knows how labour intensive it can be.

I think the big complaint is how Valve/Bethesda are handling that business model; they're stripping 75% of that profit away for something that they were happy being distributed for nothing?

That and it completely changes the way the community works. I don't think anyone would complain about having a more prevalent donations system with recommended donations. That at least would be keeping with the ethos of the community.

I personally don't have a problem with paying authors for good work, but let me try it first, don't put it behind a paywall.

If it was about some other method of supporting the modders, everything would be fine. They SHOULD get some money via an alternate system. But how is it not GREED when modders get only 25%?

1)How many mods are based on other people's work and assets? I am sure nobody will be greedy and they will share the profits equally.

2)Why do people complain about DLC? It TAKES TIME for the company to create that product. I think we have all seen where that thinking has led.

3) What happens when Bethesda decides that they will allow mods for their games to only be hosted on Steam? If everyone follows suit, say goodbye to the Nexus. But I am sure that monopolistic practices never hurt any consumers before.

4)If you're being paid, it's not a mod but a DLC. Your work better be stellar since you're now selling me a product and if it breaks I am expecting you to fix it or else. See how this changes the relationships in the community?

I am not against modders being paid for their work, I am against the method implemented.

In response to post #24589329. #24589589, #24589619, #24589869, #24589984 are all replies on the same post.

Maverick11 wrote:

Daiyus wrote: I don't think anyone is condemning mod authors for wanting a bit of commercial recompense. Anyone who's made a mod knows how labour intensive it can be.

salvador33 wrote: If it was about some other method of supporting the modders, everything would be fine. They SHOULD get some money via an alternate system. But how is it not GREED when modders get only 25%?

1)How many mods are based on other people's work and assets? I am sure nobody will be greedy and they will share the profits equally.

2)Why do people complain about DLC? It TAKES TIME for the company to create that product. I think we have all seen where that thinking has led.

3) What happens when Bethesda decides that they will allow mods for their games to only be hosted on Steam? If everyone follows suit, say goodbye to the Nexus. But I am sure that monopolistic practices never hurt any consumers before.

4)If you're being paid, it's not a mod but a DLC. Your work better be stellar since you're now selling me a product and if it breaks I am expecting you to fix it or else. See how this changes the relationships in the community?

I am not against modders being paid for their work, I am against the method implemented.

25% is very fair. The platform for modders to begin work is available and ready. That platform cost Bethesda and steam a great deal of money to prepare. It is very easy to for a modder to begin work and entirely hassle free when preparing their next project. 25% is better then nothing which has been the case since the dawn of modding.