Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24573959. #24574254 is also a reply to the same post.

jimtownirish wrote:
Silki08 wrote: AYE!

The problem is it doesn't matter if you do it or not. I can steal your stuff and put it on Steam after a little tweak or even not. What can you do about it? Edited by poboxy

In response to post #24572719. #24572849, #24573089, #24573569, #24573724, #24573869, #24574054, #24574099, #24574119, #24574194 are all replies on the same post.

doomdoging wrote:
phellen wrote: second this.
shaithlis wrote: Now that is not a bad idea.
phellen wrote:
nathanj wrote: Fiftheded.
danjal wrote: Advertising, or even a subscription system through a platform that works directly with the mod creators or even in a joint venture with Bethesda would be far superior.
And probably provide superior customer support aswell.

Just ask anyone who has ever had problems with Steam Early Access on how good Valve is at providing support...
Silki08 wrote: This makes sense.
Mindprobe24 wrote: second this!
rkelly wrote: this is a better idea
Krazeecain wrote: It wouldn't even be a few cents per download. More like 1/30th of a cent per download.

It wouldn't be based on downloads, but on page views and subscriptions.

I'm already seeing single armor sets being sold for money. How is this different than the infamous HORSE ARMOR dlc? Have you not learned anything? I wouldn't mind if bethesda allowed big, total conversions or expansions to charge us (Tamriel Rebuilt for Morrowind for example), but this is just so in-app purchase garbage,

In response to post #24571819. #24571979, #24572124, #24572239, #24572369, #24572524, #24574354 are all replies on the same post.

Laxe wrote:
boulegue wrote: he wants as little as 0.82€ i cant even get a cheese burger for that price
Laxe wrote: You can't try the mod without buying and you have no insurance that it will work after 24 hours refund protection ends.

Imagine trying out hundreds of mods before you find out the ones you like, it will cost you hundreds or even more if you have to buy them. that is modding kill for me and i will just stay away from such games.

Anyways i hope that at least they stop pooping on Mod name and call it what it is - Third party DLC
boulegue wrote: isokus mod are still avaible on the nexus for you to try out as much as you want without spending money the versions on the workshop are just updated, if youre not willing to spend money then simply dont noone is forcing you to spend money....

and if you currently spend $1 you can try out every mod there is.... and $1 for 17 days is very little
SvarogNL wrote: Problem is that all the refund ends up in your Steam Wallet. While the Modders don't have to deal with that problem.
boulegue wrote: you have to spend 0,82€ once to test out all mods currently uploaded to the steam workshop.... not 17 times 0,82€ but just once the refund is basically instant and you can try another mod 2 clicks later
crashpilot wrote: And what about after 17 days.
Anyway, it does not matter. I have about 200 Mods installed, even if the price per MOD is ONLY about 1 $, it would mean I would pay about 250 bucks for an acceptable Bethsoft game.
No thank you, For that kind of money I can entertain myself better.

I just realized there's a gigantic loophole that allows anyone to get the paid mods for free.
The refund process is oversimplistic because many mods might be broken, which allows you to download, copy, get a refund and unistall the mod. then reinstall the copy.
GG valve. yet again you failed

In response to post #24571929. #24572044, #24572064, #24572299, #24573824, #24573909, #24574109, #24574289 are all replies on the same post.

swiftfoxmark2 wrote:
boulegue wrote: bethesda decided to legalize it
Azarakos wrote: Valve and Bethesda get 75% of the mod income, the modder himself/herself get 25%. More money to the companies.

Welcome to capitalism, brother.
boulegue wrote: a musician gets much less for their music, a developer gets much less for their work on the game, a writer gets much less for their books.....

valve is being very generous in that department
swiftfoxmark2 wrote: Yes, I know that. But I'm referring to the Nexus policy.
boulegue wrote: the nexus is probably not able to give bethesda a share or bethesda is simply not interested in it and partnered with valve
WightMage wrote: And this why self publishing books and indie record labels are all the rage now. So too should it be with mods, IMO.
boulegue wrote: in the top 15 combined print & e-book fiction bestseller list of march 2015 all are published by established publishers to lazy to look up the music charts but i could bet its similar.... selfpublished and indie labels remain a minority because they cant afford the advertising big publishers can.... just as with games.... theres a few exceptions like minecraft but even that has now a big publisher behind it now

This statement is 100% wrong. I work in the "Entertainment Industry" in the 'literature' side of things. Author's don't "Get" less for their books in that capacity. Nor is it "Much Less". You claim to work in the 'industry' and if so cool. But please don't step where you have no knowledge.

In response to post #24573929.

WightMage wrote:

Youknow what? I'm sorta fine with what Chesko is doing now. Not really because of most of what he said, but just the simple idea of it being a timed exclusive rather than a total exclusive. That actually sorta goes a long way to making the proposition sound better, but of course it doesn't change much of my stance on the cut Steam is getting overall.

I'm hardly a legal expert, but i will put forth my suggestion non the less. First off, i would have no problem paying for quality mods. CHarging for the mods only encourages the modders to put forth even higher quality content and to be more responive to supporting them. That being said.. couldnt you charge more for the primium membership and give a kickback to the modders that bring in the most endorsmants? Obviously more to this, but i think it would keep alot of the quality modders here and valve can suck it.