Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24571614. #24572234, #24572374, #24572469, #24572589, #24572669 are all replies on the same post.

KaiserDeathIV wrote:
speash wrote: Signed
ShwayNorris wrote: Signed
Kerros wrote: Signed, thank you for the link
zzjay wrote: Will do tomorrow..cant open from phone :(.

I doubt it'll help...we can simply not buy em.
groupthinker1984 wrote: Way too soon for this kind of knee jerk reaction.

I agree that this COULD be absolutely disastrous. Or it could be wonderful. Or somehow both at the same time.

signed. passed the 7500 mark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24571614. #24572234, #24572374, #24572469, #24572589, #24572669, #24572829 are all replies on the same post.

KaiserDeathIV wrote:

I agree that this COULD be absolutely disastrous. Or it could be wonderful. Or somehow both at the same time.
MrSpanky wrote: signed. passed the 7500 mark

Signed

In response to post #24571614. #24572234, #24572374, #24572469, #24572589, #24572669, #24572829, #24572854 are all replies on the same post.

KaiserDeathIV wrote:

Rigmor wrote: Signed

This means nothing to Valve, they just gonna discourage people from making mods, since anyone can steal the idea and sell it with a different color.

Valve posted an update on all of this in regards to attempts to steal content: http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-expects-steam-community-to-help-police-paid-mods/

(Quote: "Today's announcement that mod makers will now be able to sell their creations directly to gamers on Steam was big news by any measure. But it also led to questions, one of the foremost being how Valve plans to handle mods that rip off other people's work. As it turns out, there is a plan, and it's actually rather novel."

In worst-case scenarios, DMCA notices can be used to force the removal of stolen work, but the idea is to avoid the need to take that step in the first place. "Newly posted items to be sold must first appear as visible to the community without a purchase option before they can be sold," Vice President of Marketing Doug Lombardi explained. "This will provide some time for the community to help identify abuse or stolen content and report appropriately. It’s also a time that developers can use to review pending items and decide if any intervention is necessary." )

Honestly, I don't know if this will even be enough. Of course they're leaving it up to us to police the mods but 24-hours? People that steal mods sometimes take the time to make little changes here & there in a mod in order to try and make their stolen mod look as if they made it themselves. That generally leads to a lot of arguing and debate over that particular mod as well as in-depth investigation. A person would just have to spend enough time making small changes to someone else's work to try and hold out long enough for that 24-hour period to go by and then they can ride off of the gulliable members of the community that never read mod descriptions and just see a cool mod & immediately download it.

It's just one possible scenario but, either way, this worries me.

Edited by FoxfireInferno

In response to post #24572789.

Lgm1 wrote:

from the MIT license (http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT)
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions

In response to post #24571614. #24572234, #24572374, #24572469, #24572589, #24572669, #24572829, #24572854, #24572864 are all replies on the same post.

KaiserDeathIV wrote:

Ultrametal wrote: This means nothing to Valve, they just gonna discourage people from making mods, since anyone can steal the idea and sell it with a different color.

Signed...thank you

In response to post #24571614. #24572234, #24572374, #24572469, #24572589, #24572669, #24572829, #24572854, #24572864, #24572984, #24573004, #24573029, #24573229, #24573324 are all replies on the same post.

KaiserDeathIV wrote:

Ultrametal wrote: This means nothing to Valve, they just gonna discourage people from making mods, since anyone can steal the idea and sell it with a different color.
softail4life wrote: Signed...thank you
shaithlis wrote: Signed
jradik wrote: signed
popcorn71 wrote: Sites not loading. Too many people trying to sing?
BFNord wrote: and signed. and forwarded the link to a few others. f*#@ that noise.

Signed (8305) Edited by Mindprobe24