Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24587454. #24587604, #24587789, #24587819, #24587884 are all replies on the same post.

testiger2 wrote:
zzjay wrote: it's simple if we all agree not to buy mods it'll decade soon...we just have to be united,cause we have power to decide what to buy.if beth'll remove free modding i'll not buy any of their future games.simply because its worthless without mods.they cant do their job and leave it up to us and now they make us pay
ScrollTron1c wrote: Simply not buying those mods will NEVER a change anything. Valve/Bethesda don't pay money for that, it's a 100% free income source for them. And the way how these huge companies work, every fraction of a cent additional income is worth it.

The only thing that can change Valve's behaviour is to boycot all Steam products and let them know about why you're doing that.

Wintercross wrote: Well we should do at least something. We all let DLC get as bad as it is.
Last thing we need is for modding to become the next DLC
Chris1986 wrote: Is it not possible that the silent majority (or at least a large percentage) of the Steam Workshop users will not have so many qualms about paying for mods? Not to make any wild assumptions but if you are exclusively using the Workshop for Skyrim modding you might be more likely to have the "Plug and Play" mentality where you want the mod to work easily without much input (this may just be conjecture on my part :P )

If this venture by Valve and Bethesda is kept afloat I doubt it will be getting the majority of its cash from Nexus users. I may be totally wrong but I'd love to know what other people think.

the silent majority keeps EA, micropayment, Ubisoft..... alive
the modding scene even as big as it is right now with all of us is still a minority

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24586579. #24586614, #24587344, #24587449, #24587584 are all replies on the same post.

hafizlordfeast wrote:
boulegue wrote: fores said that he dont want cheesko to use his assets and cheesko imediately pulled down the mod.... that is a prime example of the system working
MrSpanky wrote: Its also a prime example of modders not reading (or caring) about the conditions asked by the authors of assets they use.
Laureolus wrote: "It the system working."

Yep, taking others work and hoping no one notices.
boulegue wrote: fores gave permission to use his assets probably not thinking that charging for it would ever be an option.... since cheesko has signed a NDA he did not have the option to ask for permission at that time
judging by cheeskos reaction i think he read and cared a lot about what fores had to say

i seriously doubt it. He said A in his evernote, B in steam, and C in Nexus.

All 3 stories does not corroborate with each another.

Gaming industry is walking the same road as the music industry. Steam and that guy who never did PT in highschool can just take a hike. I feel alot of backlashing coming in from modders and users. Remember Neverwinter Nights? Used to be one of the biggest modding community in the bioware network - free, creative and most importantly fun. Money changes the game - people will try and mod ANYTHING they can just to make a quick buck (Just like Nicky Minaj and Lady Gaga). But this is the Internet, where if people uprise, no one can stop them. Im not this evil communists who demands everything to be free, dont get me wrong, but encouraging people to mod for money is just pure damn evil. Seriously.

In response to post #24588269.

Ventry wrote:

how would piracy even happen?

let's take for example "purity", or god forbid those "sange and Yasha" or "butterfly" items that were inspired from DoTA.

You pay for it, then have your money refunded, managed to get the items pirated, but sites like Nexus won't host it because of the rules set in the first place (no stealing)

So where?

Mods should be free because otherwise it would nearly impossible to have community driven mods which combine many peoples works into awesomeness. Furthermore the donation system/crowd funding works just fine, those how have the ability to pay will. Paying for mods will only choke the community and make modding in general less popular/more restricted.

The BIG problem that is going to arise out of this and most people will agree with me, we are going to have the workshop stuffed FULL of crappy unfinished half arsed mods that are just a cash grab (Like so many DOOMED early access games on steam that are started then are left unfinished).

Certain modders, maybe not the majority but certainly enough, are going to totally abuse this new system!

In response to post #24588269. #24588304 is also a reply to the same post.

Ventry wrote:
badiyee85 wrote: how would piracy even happen?

let's take for example "purity", or god forbid those "sange and Yasha" or "butterfly" items that were inspired from DoTA.

You pay for it, then have your money refunded, managed to get the items pirated, but sites like Nexus won't host it because of the rules set in the first place (no stealing)

So where?

Some underground places on the internet. The nexus is not the only place you can download mods from...

In response to post #24587774. #24588374 is also a reply to the same post.

Faralai wrote:
badiyee85 wrote: I have to agree, seeing the amount of hype, then the update brought... but you have to pay. The price is ridiculously expensive too. In my country's currency that's enough to buy a full dinner meal.

Yeah also steams says the reason they are doing this is to to encourage better mods...yeah right, they do because they get 75% of the cash.....