Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24587989.

psychocyclonus wrote:

I think there's a ceiling to this, resource wise.

I mean let's just for example, look at it this way. If a game requires modders to be paid, I think it would be paid ONLY how much the ceiling item costs.

E.G, if I re-texture a sword, and I sell it for say, USD 10, and 50,000 fools come and purchase it, therefore the re-texture would have USD50,000 value. But in reality would a retexture of a cost have that much of a value?

I doubt it. But to be fair, such a job to re-texture a job would have probably costed USD20-50 (taking a camera, renting a computer, downloading GIMP, bla bla bla, some coffee while making, the electricity charges, bla bla bla, worksmanship, bla bla bla).

But there's NO WAY to know, unless sites like Nexus starts to implement a counter and say "hey this mod is priced at USD 50, its now at USD 0.99/USD50. THEN I believe people will more MORE INCLINED to donate, especially by supporters.

If somebody did a job like for Vilja entirely, (though i'm not a fan of it), and people thinks that the DLC is worth USD 50 (which is again, intellectually questionable) per download, people will pay if there's a METER right at that.

Because in the end, download does not equals utilization. I downloaded Vilja, played with it, and uninstalled it after 4-5 hours of in quest with her.

Then when it comes to say, sets like the Amidian, i'm sure the community as a whole is willing to fork out proportionately more.

In response to post #24587774. #24588374, #24588409, #24588444, #24588549 are all replies on the same post.

Faralai wrote:
badiyee85 wrote: I have to agree, seeing the amount of hype, then the update brought... but you have to pay. The price is ridiculously expensive too. In my country's currency that's enough to buy a full dinner meal.
Faralai wrote: Yeah also steams says the reason they are doing this is to to encourage better mods...yeah right, they do because they get 75% of the cash.....
boulegue wrote: you can go as little as $1 thats still a full meal in some countries but steam caters to the majority not everyone
the wet&cold version on the nexus is working fine and if he wouldnt have released an update ever noone wouldve complained about it
GenBloodhorn wrote: Soon enough, Bethesda will regret this decision. just like Elder Scrolls Online paid subscription, that became Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.

@bouleegue, your devil's advocate routine is getting kind of old, don't you think?

I mean, it isn't any less transparent or obvious than it was 10 hours ago.

Ive always hated bethesda, they always make the worst decisions and show very little creativity and imagination in theyre games not to say that they dont seem to care about theyre fans, if it werent for mods i wouldnt even play theyre dull games... and now they do this, goodbye bethesda.

In response to post #24588269. #24588304, #24588364, #24588424, #24588514, #24588519 are all replies on the same post.

Ventry wrote:
badiyee85 wrote: how would piracy even happen?

let's take for example "purity", or god forbid those "sange and Yasha" or "butterfly" items that were inspired from DoTA.

You pay for it, then have your money refunded, managed to get the items pirated, but sites like Nexus won't host it because of the rules set in the first place (no stealing)

So where?
sc0608023 wrote: Some underground places on the internet. The nexus is not the only place you can download mods from...
badiyee85 wrote: well, let's just say, okay, its pirated.

now you've found a place.

But how about other modders? it won't stop them from having the mindset "hey let me milk the money out of these suckers".

There has to be a better way that both sides win, but in these cases we users are at the ransom of these mods..

heck, you know what? LET'S CALL THEM RANSOMMODS! :D

we'll buy NO RANSONMODS!
boulegue wrote: what if the modder would never have the oppurtunity to create a mod because he can't afford the free time?
jonman122 wrote: It still needs to go in to the data files, so you download the mod, copy the files, refund, voila. That or torrent sites, whatever you want to do really.

@boulegue:

if he doesn't have a free time, he has to make his own free time.

He's not "ENTITLED" to think "let me sacrifice my time here because I know I'll be compensated in monetary terms".

This is a mindset that should not even exist.

In response to post #24587774. #24588374, #24588409, #24588444, #24588549, #24588584 are all replies on the same post.

Faralai wrote:
badiyee85 wrote: I have to agree, seeing the amount of hype, then the update brought... but you have to pay. The price is ridiculously expensive too. In my country's currency that's enough to buy a full dinner meal.
Faralai wrote: Yeah also steams says the reason they are doing this is to to encourage better mods...yeah right, they do because they get 75% of the cash.....
boulegue wrote: you can go as little as $1 thats still a full meal in some countries but steam caters to the majority not everyone
the wet&cold version on the nexus is working fine and if he wouldnt have released an update ever noone wouldve complained about it
GenBloodhorn wrote: Soon enough, Bethesda will regret this decision. just like Elder Scrolls Online paid subscription, that became Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.
phantompally76 wrote: @bouleegue, your devil's advocate routine is getting kind of old, don't you think?

I mean, it isn't any less transparent or obvious than it was 10 hours ago.

since people keep posting the same stuff i can keep replying the same stuff im not really siding with anyone just stating facts

if that opposes your opinion good for you but please refrain from trying to silence mine

In response to post #24588269. #24588304, #24588364, #24588424, #24588514, #24588519, #24588644 are all replies on the same post.

Ventry wrote:
badiyee85 wrote: how would piracy even happen?

let's take for example "purity", or god forbid those "sange and Yasha" or "butterfly" items that were inspired from DoTA.

You pay for it, then have your money refunded, managed to get the items pirated, but sites like Nexus won't host it because of the rules set in the first place (no stealing)

So where?
sc0608023 wrote: Some underground places on the internet. The nexus is not the only place you can download mods from...
badiyee85 wrote: well, let's just say, okay, its pirated.

now you've found a place.

But how about other modders? it won't stop them from having the mindset "hey let me milk the money out of these suckers".

There has to be a better way that both sides win, but in these cases we users are at the ransom of these mods..

heck, you know what? LET'S CALL THEM RANSOMMODS! :D

we'll buy NO RANSONMODS!
boulegue wrote: what if the modder would never have the oppurtunity to create a mod because he can't afford the free time?
jonman122 wrote: It still needs to go in to the data files, so you download the mod, copy the files, refund, voila. That or torrent sites, whatever you want to do really.
badiyee85 wrote: @boulegue:

if he doesn't have a free time, he has to make his own free time.

He's not "ENTITLED" to think "let me sacrifice my time here because I know I'll be compensated in monetary terms".

This is a mindset that should not even exist.

and we're not entitled to think we deserve something for free