Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24594129. #24594804 is also a reply to the same post.

d4rkoverlord wrote:
Jonny_Evil wrote: Bethesda owns everything that you make with their construction kit. Apart from custom meshes and textures, they technically own all of them. Prior to this dubious idea you'd get a letter from their lawyers if you sold mods.

See that is were you are wrong. Bethesda graciously gave us the tools to mod with. They didn't have to it at all. But they have a long tradition of sharing the tool kits with us so we can mod "their games". The number one rule is that you can not make any mod for profit with said tool kits. That has always been the rule, until now. But in order to bend that rule and get paid you have to agree to put your mod behind a pay-wall. Also they and Valve/Bethesda get to totally own your mod and its content. Now if you spent hundreds of hours making say, custom building meshes for your mod, guess what, Valve and Bethesda now own those assets and technically they can do what they want with them. They could even take them and use then in one of there own games and you wouldn't see a dime of that profit, only what you get from behind the pay-wall. That is the ultimate price for putting a mod behind that wall. You get screwed over, they have your content and will do as they see fit with it. any and every mod maker needs to seriously think about all of this. IT just not putting up a mod for a price as everyone thinks, its a total grab fest for Valve and Bethesda to gather up as much as they can, monetarily and asset wise.

In response to post #24594599. #24595064, #24597874, #24598129, #24598509, #24600934, #24601064, #24604279, #24605234, #24605519, #24605574, #24605679, #24606499, #24607304, #24607644, #24609789, #24609999 are all replies on the same post.

Ehwhat2008 wrote:
SkeletonShen wrote: I agree.
Calu93 wrote: Me too
Quloide wrote: Aye
Alienfriend wrote: I agree too
onkenoke wrote: and my axe!

oh wait wrong speech sorry
Milleuros wrote: Agree.

Nexus is proving that they have the ethics of modding in their heart and that they have immense respect for the authors. They deserve that bit of money.
darksunshaman wrote: Also agree, just disabled adblocker on nexus
micnorian14 wrote: Been there, done that.
DohmeShot wrote: The solidarity is unreal. Disabled.

Except if an audio ad is coming up, I hate that intrusive garbage.
waffle652 wrote: I stopped and then a repeating audio ad kept deafening me and overshadowing my music while I was reading this article.

Now i'm using adblock again.

I don't care what somebody or something does, I don't tolerate audio ads. Especially ones that auto-play every 30 seconds and can't be turned off.
IMNdi wrote: I have also seen the light. This site has better presentation, a better installer for mods, way better mod management, and, unlike the tripe I expect the workshop to become, this has actual feedback going on.

Also, if I knew mods would be monetized, I would not have bough Skyrim. With no mods, the darned thing is not worth the money. And now that I bought it, rules change.

It's a good thing this site exists. And for a couple bucks or ads. Seriously. You don't want to know how much I spent on my phone -er- software. I wouldn't even blink at 3 dollars for an app, yet it took this long to support the nexus.

I'm weird.

Maybe you need an app?
XxSHREKSCOPExX wrote: ADBLOCK = OFF M8
digitaltrucker wrote: I contributed to the site a while ago, so no adds for me. When my finances improve just a tad more, I fully intend to pay a subscription for the foreseeable future. I highly doubt Black Tree Gaming is making a heap of money from this, and it's irrelevant anyway. Support the ones who support you.
Aquilathestne wrote: Adblock is off. Though i would like to say the repeating audio gets annoying. Though I will keep it off on principle.
thetag wrote: Disable ADBlock and Adobe Flash Player plugin = no more intrusive advertisements. ;)
pixelpups wrote: stopped using add block since i downloaded first mod...

Well, I already stopped adblock working on this site when nexus asked nicely for it much earlier. I think, I will just keep supporting them. It is the only site I have disabled adblock.

In response to post #24608569. #24608834, #24610264 are all replies on the same post.

Meeporized wrote:
freedom613 wrote: This is the reason I am against unofficial DLC (let us not disgrace the 20+ year mod scene by calling these mods. While they hold great quality, mods have been free modification to the game while DLC has been paid modification to the game). It has set a precedent, and that precedent will be built on and built on until the scene we love has died.

Arendella wrote: What's to stop them from just making a complete ass game with no voice acting and us forcing us to pay for the voice acting pack dlc and such?

Oh better yet, lets buy landscapes for dlc why not that? clearly we dont need the enviroment, trees, streams, and even towns!

There is one thing that is stopping them. Me! You! Customers! We can just stop buying useless s#*!, if they decide to sell us useless s#*!.

In response to post #24608569. #24608834, #24610264 are all replies on the same post.

Meeporized wrote:
freedom613 wrote: This is the reason I am against unofficial DLC (let us not disgrace the 20+ year mod scene by calling these mods. While they hold great quality, mods have been free modification to the game while DLC has been paid modification to the game). It has set a precedent, and that precedent will be built on and built on until the scene we love has died.

Arendella wrote: What's to stop them from just making a complete ass game with no voice acting and us forcing us to pay for the voice acting pack dlc and such?

Oh better yet, lets buy landscapes for dlc why not that? clearly we dont need the enviroment, trees, streams, and even towns!

There is one thing that is stopping them. Me! You! Customers! We can just stop buying useless s***, if they decide to sell us useless s***.

If that tactic worked we wouldnt be here to begin with. Idiots will pay for this just like they always do.

One of the paid modders, you know who if you're keeping up, has accused the Nexus of hypocrisy because Nexus one of the aforementioned "Service Providers" and are actually getting a cut. I'd love to hear Dark0ne's response and I'm probably not the only one.

In response to post #24608569. #24608834, #24610264, #24611304 are all replies on the same post.

Meeporized wrote:

Primalsplit wrote: There is one thing that is stopping them. Me! You! Customers! We can just stop buying useless s#*!, if they decide to sell us useless s#*!.

The only thing it made me do is make me no longer support Bethesda.

I will not play the next Elder Scrolls Game regardless if it looks drop dead amazing or with mods. I was already getting tired of the modding scene and this is the final nail in the coffin. If they can remove the modding payments I might come back, but the piracy and the abuse of mods being stolen... I dont think that many good modders will even stay after this.

One of the paid modders, you know who if you're keeping up, has accused the Nexus of hypocrisy because Nexus one of the aforementioned "Service Providers" and are actually getting a cut. I'd love to hear Dark0ne's response and I'm probably not the only one.

He did respond and trust me. Youll be surprised at what he said.