Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

The amount of hours thousand's of them spent modding my games...

I know from experience that many mods can look good, sound good, and yet are not really that good and come as a alpha that is totally gonna ruin a game.

Sorry but I've just spent about a hundred hours fixing up a game over the last week and much of that was spent fixing up mods that were not mine just so that I could use them.

Can I upload the fixed mods NO.

There is so much stuff that it takes to mod a game really well and on top of that it takes a good depth of experience.

If your going to offer a mod for cash, think I'm going to be happy if I gotta fix that?

Cause if I purchase it I expect it to work.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24608634. #24609314, #24612079, #24612614, #24613089, #24618249 are all replies on the same post.

iiiimessiahiiii wrote:
foster xbl wrote: I simply do not see it that way, here's a quick example:

Nock to Tip, the last mod I released, before taking a break from modding.
was a well received project. I spent over a month developing it, and countless
more hours refining it. It is far from perfect, and still has a couple bugs/balance issues.
But quite frankly I got tired of tweaking it over and over. Now when I return to actively
modding Skyrim, I will work more on these issues. But I do not feel obligated to do so, until I'm good and ready, If I had a more vested interest in the project, it would've been a better mod. The same goes for anybody doing anything, if an author has a vested interest in a project, (such as the possibility for compensation ) it will improve the quality of a project.

But again this is speculation.
freedom613 wrote: @Foster

Is money the only motivation though? I do not mod for Skyrim, I am however a Minecraft Map Maker which is about the same: we both create free content for the community. Like other modders, I have never recieved a cent for my work however I am still motivated to make maps since I release maps I want to play on. If I already made the map for me, why not release it to the community?

Money is a good incentive, but the majority of modding has been free since the 1990s. Why should we break the machine that has worked since the time when there was a Soviet Union? This workshop update has done nothing but harm: fragmented the community, killed support for Bethesda, and made Valve look like villians trying to pull the wool over our eyes saying this is to support the mod makers.
foster xbl wrote: Is money the only motivation? No, of course not and like you, I make for myself first, then share what I've created. I've modded for 15+ years, and money has never been an issue.
Moving forward, it is something I will now consider though.
freedom613 wrote: If you want money as your motiviation, well I cannot stop you. What Valve has done to the community here though is unforgivable. The irony of having a civil war in a game about a civil war...

I will ask though: Is it worth the small cut from Valve to be part of this schism? If you are going to sell your mods, might as well do it on your own site and get the full cut instead of a quarter.

Then again, I know nothing about modding Skyrim so maybe it is worth the 25%. My map mods are me just messing around with Terrain Control, takes me about a week to make one (two if I go with custom biomes) so money isn't worth it for that.
foster xbl wrote: The point I'm trying to make, is why does this have to be such a big deal, or "schism" as you called it. What I so wrong or shameful about it?

It seems like at best it may create another system that rewards flooding of small mods for money. At worst- it may severely degrade the community as it is now and we may not see great, expansive massively multi-functional mods when people want to avoid others' work or keep theirs from being sold.

I wish I could think that modders being guaranteed pay for a download would guarantee improvement and bug-fix but more likely the case will be the opposite, that fewer modders will be downloading and using the new version which could possibly lead to outside improvements.

They know how many hours you and I spend playing this game. For some of us we are literally pushing past 2,000 hours spent playing. This is something that a game industry doesn't want, especially Steam a seller of games. Sellers don't want you to get this kind of life span out of a 50 dollar product! They want you to be done with it in like 10 hours and then come back tomorrow to buy another $50 worth of carp.

The problem with it is that we don't purchase more content, we come home finish up our stuff, and then we log into play Skyrim and here we are what getting on 4 years later and we cant wait to play Skyrim.

The problem with Steam is they don't have any products that a guy like me wants most of their products are garbage and my Steam library is pretty petite as a result just face it there really are no good games that can stand up to the beast of modding. So this is their solution put a price tag on modding and destroy its community.

Not everything is on Nexus their are some other huge modding communities that are pushing the boundaries, scope, and even the scale of Skyrim.

I honestly think the whole thing is meant to put some reins on modding and get players back to spending cash on their bad products and aweful games.

How about intentional Nexus Modder Community Sabatoge?

Say this "issue" isn't resolved within a week, how about the Nexus modders no longer keep their mods compatible with Steamworks mods? Face it, if you had to make them compatible as an author, and your mod was free, you would be out however much you spent on the mod to make sure it was compatible with the mod off of the Workshop. What happens when the "compatibility requests" start piling up?

I fear Valve has opened a Pandora's box that will never truly be shut, and we are all poorer as a community because of it. Thanks Valve, and thanks Bethesda.

In response to post #24608634. #24609314, #24612079, #24612614, #24613089, #24618249, #24624044 are all replies on the same post.

iiiimessiahiiii wrote:

more hours refining it. It is far from perfect, and still has a couple bugs/balance issues.
But quite frankly I got tired of tweaking it over and over. Now when I return to actively
modding Skyrim, I will work more on these issues. But I do not feel obligated to do so, until I'm good and ready, If I had a more vested interest in the project, it would've been a better mod. The same goes for anybody doing anything, if an author has a vested interest in a project, (such as the possibility for compensation ) it will improve the quality of a project.

Is money the only motivation though? I do not mod for Skyrim, I am however a Minecraft Map Maker which is about the same: we both create free content for the community. Like other modders, I have never recieved a cent for my work however I am still motivated to make maps since I release maps I want to play on. If I already made the map for me, why not release it to the community?

Money is a good incentive, but the majority of modding has been free since the 1990s. Why should we break the machine that has worked since the time when there was a Soviet Union? This workshop update has done nothing but harm: fragmented the community, killed support for Bethesda, and made Valve look like villians trying to pull the wool over our eyes saying this is to support the mod makers.
foster xbl wrote: Is money the only motivation? No, of course not and like you, I make for myself first, then share what I've created. I've modded for 15+ years, and money has never been an issue.
freedom613 wrote: If you want money as your motiviation, well I cannot stop you. What Valve has done to the community here though is unforgivable. The irony of having a civil war in a game about a civil war...

I will ask though: Is it worth the small cut from Valve to be part of this schism? If you are going to sell your mods, might as well do it on your own site and get the full cut instead of a quarter.

Then again, I know nothing about modding Skyrim so maybe it is worth the 25%. My map mods are me just messing around with Terrain Control, takes me about a week to make one (two if I go with custom biomes) so money isn't worth it for that.
foster xbl wrote: The point I'm trying to make, is why does this have to be such a big deal, or "schism" as you called it. What I so wrong or shameful about it?
Bobothedinosaur wrote: It seems like at best it may create another system that rewards flooding of small mods for money. At worst- it may severely degrade the community as it is now and we may not see great, expansive massively multi-functional mods when people want to avoid others' work or keep theirs from being sold.

I wish I could think that modders being guaranteed pay for a download would guarantee improvement and bug-fix but more likely the case will be the opposite, that fewer modders will be downloading and using the new version which could possibly lead to outside improvements.

to answer you foster there is no conflict or schism. It is simple people who want something for nothing and have gotten it for a long time and that something is being threatened. am not an author but the claim that authors don't deserve anything is insane and the more common donate rational is even worse, considering that an extreme minority of authors receive donations. There is one side of this debate that is saying options are beneficial and another whose argument amounts to "I am entitled to free mods, because that is the way it has always been." This argument fails for two reasons. First that is not the way it has always been and there has been a monetized workshop for games like DOTA 2 for a while. Second, tradition alone is not persuasive especially when that tradition saw a benefit to labor ratio I extreme favor of the consumer vs. the creator. In conclusion if you want to charge for your mod do so and good luck. A good product certainly dictates a good reward. If you want to keep you product free, good luck to you as well. Though I think it is fair to say if each province of Beyond Skyrim were released for 10-20 bucks they would work a lot faster and we would see a product of like quality sooner, because money is important and devoting time, your most precious resource, with only intangible reward is disheartening.

In response to post #24608634. #24609314, #24612079, #24612614, #24613089, #24618249, #24624044 are all replies on the same post.

iiiimessiahiiii wrote:

Bobothedinosaur wrote: It seems like at best it may create another system that rewards flooding of small mods for money. At worst- it may severely degrade the community as it is now and we may not see great, expansive massively multi-functional mods when people want to avoid others' work or keep theirs from being sold.

to answer you foster there is no conflict or schism. It is simple people who want something for nothing and have gotten it for a long time and that something is being threatened. am not an author but the claim that authors don't deserve anything is insane and the more common donate rational is even worse, considering that an extreme minority of authors receive donations. There is one side of this debate that is saying options are beneficial and another whose argument amounts to "I am entitled to free mods, because that is the way it has always been." This argument fails for two reasons. First that is not the way it has always been and there has been a monetized workshop for games like DOTA 2 for a while. Second, tradition alone is not persuasive especially when that tradition saw a benefit to labor ratio I extreme favor of the consumer vs. the creator. In conclusion if you want to charge for your mod do so and good luck. A good product certainly dictates a good reward. If you want to keep you product free, good luck to you as well. Though I think it is fair to say if each province of Beyond Skyrim were released for 10-20 bucks they would work a lot faster and we would see a product of like quality sooner, because money is important and devoting time, your most precious resource, with only intangible reward is disheartening.

Funny. It hasnt been insane for 20 years but it is now huh? The only reason nobody donates is because 90% of people didnt even realize it was possible. And im pretty sure it has been taboo to ask for donations when you are making stuff using other peoples resources. Why cant people like you see the bigger picture?

I have always loved the idea of supporting Mod authors financially via Donations, but I'm not so sure taking away a person's choice is the greatest of avenues.

Then again, if a mod is actually good and high quality content; i wouldn't mind paying for it regardless.

Perhaps i am over-thinking things and as i am imagining how this sort of system can be easily abused.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops over time.