Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24634334. #24634469, #24635479, #24635574, #24635939, #24636679, #24636734, #24637344 are all replies on the same post.

KaiserDeathIV wrote:
Arendella wrote: Dude I so agree with you on this I'm reposting this link everywhere and reblogging this you are awesome.
L3st4t wrote: You right,this is a way for Bethesda and Valve to make money on works of talented people without having them on their rolpaycheck
Startrooper55 wrote: I agree with you completely and hope the most guys at the nexus thinks so too. Modding isn´t a job who deserved to get´s a payoff. But whatever where are the contract and contractual defined support when I would pay for ((I would never) and the mod won´t work or anything else? For a mod it´s not necessary someone could say? That´s wrong. when I pay for I have the rights to claim for!

@L3st4t
Only if a "modder" provides the hust... "business model" of Valve and Bethesda.
KamuLopez wrote: Completely Agree
I do understand that some people want money, that´s ok, but Why monetize a recreational activity?

Moreover it is easy to see that this is one way on how large companies can bring under control a branch of the market that was beyond their reach and turn the modding comunity on company workers and cheap labor
Lenassa wrote: I agree with you.

Some modders want to monetize their work, it's their right. But the donation system is far better that using a paywall that Bethesda and Valve will use to extract 75% of profit from your work.

Now, the reason why i can't blame mod authors for wantong to monetize their work is that the donation system doesn't work so well. Why ? It's really simple. As for me, i am a student with not so much money to live, so i spend it in living expenses, and have almost anything left for myself. As such, donating is kinda hard, because you can't donate something you don't already have.
The other trouble with the donation system comes from, i think, mod authors themselves. Most of the time, i don't even know if it's possible to donate for the author, as it isn't indicated, or almost hidden way back in the mod informations. Raising a message early in the page telling people that the author would appreaciate if he received a little donation doesn't seem so hard, does it ?

For exemple, even if it's Minecraft modding, there is iChun. He does a wonderfull work, has his site for downloading his mods, and an advert telling us the amount of donation he had in the current month, as well as a clearly visible button for donating.

For the past two years i've been working on a map for Minecraft, making an automated game. I don't make it for myself, has it's a multiplayer map and i don't really do multiplayer, but even so, i won't ask for money nor donation. I'm doing it as a hobby, because i find it fun, and my only payment would be knowing that the community enjoys my work. Nothing more, nothing less. Life can be simple sometimes.

" Donations are okay, paying for them not. " If you still want to see those mod users as community fellows that is, not CLIENTS.
Therandomizer85 wrote: Because there are people we call white knight sycophants, trying to kiss Bethesda's butt.
Illutian wrote: Why does the guy working in Beth's Art Department, making a dagger deserve to get paid. But the person working from their home making an entire retrofit of all the weapons with new textures and meshes, deserves only a pat on the back?

What about Indies? Most of them are making the game as a 'passion project' (aka a Hobby).

I find it rather hilarious that Content Creators can only be paid if they're working for some 'big name' company, but as soon as their office location becomes their home; "NO PAY FOR THEM!".

---

If people don't like the prices being charged; DON'T PAY FOR THE MOD. Modders WILL adjust prices if their work (I mean hobby) isn't "paying the rent".

PS: We do pay for Fan Art; it's called Commissioned Work. We do pay for Fan Fictions; it's located under "Extended Universe" (yes, all those Star Wars books are nothing more than Fan Fictions written by people who loved the franchise and wanted more).

*Side Note: Most people get a job in the field that they originally did as a hobby. Looks like Unemployment would hit 80%+ under 'your' definition of what "a job" is.

...I made web sites as a hobby growing up; now it's my job (both in action and in Job Title).

Does anyone remember the good old days when selling mods was illegal? Sure, there was a lot of drama back then but it sure as hell was better than this.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk about "death of the community" is a bit overdramatic. The community will not die out. This whole thing is actually a good thing - a "purge", so to say. Some people will go pay-per-mod, some will remain free. The first will make and update mods with intention of making money. Others for fun and learning. And that`s it. As long as there are moddable games, there will be modders. And there will always be modders who do it *just* for fun.

So, to the first - good luck. You have your own reasons for doing so. Can`t say I respect the integrity of your decision, but the decision is yours.

To everybody else - lets go have fun and make awesome mods.

In response to post #24634334. #24634469, #24635479, #24635574, #24635939, #24636679, #24636734, #24637344, #24637374 are all replies on the same post.

KaiserDeathIV wrote:
Arendella wrote: Dude I so agree with you on this I'm reposting this link everywhere and reblogging this you are awesome.
L3st4t wrote: You right,this is a way for Bethesda and Valve to make money on works of talented people without having them on their rolpaycheck
Startrooper55 wrote: I agree with you completely and hope the most guys at the nexus thinks so too. Modding isn´t a job who deserved to get´s a payoff. But whatever where are the contract and contractual defined support when I would pay for ((I would never) and the mod won´t work or anything else? For a mod it´s not necessary someone could say? That´s wrong. when I pay for I have the rights to claim for!

@L3st4t
I do understand that some people want money, that´s ok, but Why monetize a recreational activity?

Moreover it is easy to see that this is one way on how large companies can bring under control a branch of the market that was beyond their reach and turn the modding comunity on company workers and cheap labor

Some modders want to monetize their work, it's their right. But the donation system is far better that using a paywall that Bethesda and Valve will use to extract 75% of profit from your work.

Now, the reason why i can't blame mod authors for wantong to monetize their work is that the donation system doesn't work so well. Why ? It's really simple. As for me, i am a student with not so much money to live, so i spend it in living expenses, and have almost anything left for myself. As such, donating is kinda hard, because you can't donate something you don't already have.
The other trouble with the donation system comes from, i think, the site. Most of the time, i don't even know if it's possible to donate for the author, as it isn't indicated, or almost hidden way back in the mod informations.

For exemple, even if it's Minecraft modding, there is iChun. He does a wonderfull work, has his site for downloading his mods, and an advert telling us the amount of donation he had in the current month, as well as a clearly visible button for donating.

For the past two years i've been working on a map for Minecraft, making an automated game. I don't make it for myself, has it's a multiplayer map and i don't really do multiplayer, but even so, i won't ask for money nor donation. I'm doing it as a hobby, because i find it fun, and my only payment would be knowing that the community enjoys my work. Nothing more, nothing less. Life can be simple sometimes.

" Donations are okay, paying for them not. " If you still want to see those mod users as community fellows that is, not CLIENTS.

edit : corrected myself on author not making any reference to donation in their mod page. Was in the wrong, excuse me.
Therandomizer85 wrote: Because there are people we call white knight sycophants, trying to kiss Bethesda's butt.
Illutian wrote: Why does the guy working in Beth's Art Department, making a dagger deserve to get paid. But the person working from their home making an entire retrofit of all the weapons with new textures and meshes, deserves only a pat on the back?

What about Indies? Most of them are making the game as a 'passion project' (aka a Hobby).

I find it rather hilarious that Content Creators can only be paid if they're working for some 'big name' company, but as soon as their office location becomes their home; "NO PAY FOR THEM!".

---

If people don't like the prices being charged; DON'T PAY FOR THE MOD. Modders WILL adjust prices if their work (I mean hobby) isn't "paying the rent".

PS: We do pay for Fan Art; it's called Commissioned Work. We do pay for Fan Fictions; it's located under "Extended Universe" (yes, all those Star Wars books are nothing more than Fan Fictions written by people who loved the franchise and wanted more).

*Side Note: Most people get a job in the field that they originally did as a hobby. Looks like Unemployment would hit 80%+ under 'your' definition of what "a job" is.

...I made web sites as a hobby growing up; now it's my job (both in action and in Job Title).
1SHOT2KILL wrote: Does anyone remember the good old days when selling mods was illegal? Sure, there was a lot of drama back then but it sure as hell was better than this.

With any arguement of people saying that retexturing and such and making mods should be paid

I should be paid for showcasing said mods. I give free advertisements on tumblr and other sites by showcasing YOUR mods by screenshotting them and actually putting effort into putting them into the game that takes work just as much as you do :)

I dont care if its different, I should be entitled to the pay as well if im advertising YOUR mods and such. I show them to many people so if people think that Modders should get paid, so should the ones actually showing off the mods for people to see in beautiful cinematic screenshots

Or Better yet, I'll start selling my screenshots for 2 dollars a pop. ITS ART AFTER ALL!

In response to post #24634334. #24634469, #24635479, #24635574, #24635939, #24636679, #24636734, #24637344, #24637374, #24637789 are all replies on the same post.

KaiserDeathIV wrote:

@L3st4t

The other trouble with the donation system comes from, i think, the site. Most of the time, i don't even know if it's possible to donate for the author, as it isn't indicated, or almost hidden way back in the mod informations.

edit : corrected myself on author not making any reference to donation in their mod page. Was in the wrong, excuse me.

---

1SHOT2KILL wrote: Does anyone remember the good old days when selling mods was illegal? Sure, there was a lot of drama back then but it sure as hell was better than this.
Arendella wrote: With any arguement of people saying that retexturing and such and making mods should be paid

I should be paid for showcasing said mods. I give free advertisements on tumblr and other sites by showcasing YOUR mods by screenshotting them and actually putting effort into putting them into the game that takes work just as much as you do :)

I dont care if its different, I should be entitled to the pay as well if im advertising YOUR mods and such. I show them to many people so if people think that Modders should get paid, so should the ones actually showing off the mods for people to see in beautiful cinematic screenshots

Or Better yet, I'll start selling my screenshots for 2 dollars a pop. ITS ART AFTER ALL!

"why do people keep saying modders deserve money for their hard work?

modding is a HOBBY! its NOT a JOB! i have hobbies too. should i get paid for my hobbies now?

should we pay for FAN FICTIONS and FAN ART now because they also require a huge amount of work?

should everyone who has a hobby which requires work get paid for it now?!

Should you sit and watch countless others profit from your work, or hobby, or whatever you want to call it, when given the opportunity to share in said profit... simply because "It should be free"?

My Skyrim is currently at 252 plugins not counting all the texture mods I'm using. This would not be the case if I had to pay for all those mods. However that pales in comparison to the sinister nature of what's going on here. Capitalism is not about sharing but modding is. Sharing is what makes the community such a wonderful place. Openly, and most importantly, freely exchanging ideas and resources. That's what modding is all about. This move by the powers that be is ultimately a bastardization of something beautiful. The spirit of the modding community itself. I stress the words community and spirit here. The same spirit you find in any community. One of helping your neighbor and counting on their help in return without thought to what's in it for you. It's primal and it's tribal. Putting a dollar sign on something like that will most likely destroy it. I am all for modders making money. Their time and effort has given me a lot of joy, but like many here have expressed, this doesn't seem like the right road to take. I hope I'm wrong because in all likelihood this is a dead end street.

If users begin to remove the Nexus mods to sell on Steam, the Nexus site itself may go bankrupt in the not too distant future. How will the situation of premium members? The administrators of this site need to create a new policy to retain these talented modders and encourage them to continue with the free work.

After thinking about this for a couple of days, I much prefer Donating to my favorite mods from user made content. I have donated probably $100-$200 over the past few years. I don't like what Bethesda/Valve are trying to do through Steam and have decided to sign the change.org petition. And I will not be spending any $$ on Steam for any mods in the near future.

The free mod content community has been extremely successful for years, why screw with that now?

If Bethesda wants to make some extra profit for future games on their resources, how about charging for a nice set of Creation Kit/Modding Tools? A one time $10 or $20 payment. Then leave the modding content that Mod Authors/Teams create free.

I do remember paying for Official Plugins released by Bethesda for Morrowind and Oblivion, had no problem with that. Enjoyed most of those Plugins. So Bethesda could also hire some of the talented community Mod Authors/Teams to create some Official content. I would buy that.

Bethesda, you're making a mistake.

You have to "pay" a money to modders for making your sh*t better.

USKP, for example, will fix your buggy world "for free".

If the modders get paid, don't limit to 25%. Give them 100%.

You're a "company". Not a begger.

Bethesda: "I need a dollar, dollar, dollar is what I need..."

In response to post #24638984.

fru1tcak3s wrote:

If it has to be this way. How about this. Nexus should counter Steam's offer with 75% to the modder and 25% to Nexus. Then at least the modders themselves would actually benefit from their work. This is probably moot since the game belongs to Bethesda. Edited by Rendu