Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24564864. #24565084, #24565204 are all replies on the same post.

Majitsu wrote:
Aedred wrote: No, they're not, not at the present time.
windu190 wrote: That's why this whole thing is shady, and possibly illegal, as hel.
They are asking money for a product containing assets they don't even own.

Yes its illegal...but so far steamworkshop didnt care...there were outfits from final fantasy there...and no moderation...i hope nexus will help us claim what is ours like last time

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you place a value on a mod you invest 1000+ hours on? Plus, let's say nobody wants to use it free let alone for paid :P I merged 75 mods into one to make a holiday mod I have invested 1000 hours into. Now, nobody wants to even download it (it is alpha and crashes :P). As for people who use modders resources, imagine paying to use them. This is a slippery slope.

In response to post #24562404. #24562524, #24562599, #24562684, #24562874, #24563024, #24563444, #24563909, #24564214, #24564324, #24564709, #24564719, #24565039, #24565069 are all replies on the same post.

ramccoid wrote:
AmraHobbes wrote: Thank you. Your mods are some of the best.
HrvojeRaznjevic wrote: ramccoid, I use almost all of your mods. Keep up the good work mate
Elianora wrote: Same here.
FiendishGhoul wrote: Kudos to both of you, Elianora & Ramccoid!
NoDebate wrote: Thank you (to you both - and anyone else who continues modding for the sake of modding).
EWM333 wrote: Thanks ramccoid and Elianora for all the hard work you have both done with your mods it does go very appreciated
darkroses wrote: thanks you 3 :)
AvengerJikir wrote: Inb4 £29.99 Dust; with extra shininess for only 10p more!

In all seriousness; Thank you. Your mods are amazing; improving the textures some people would consider small but which actually have a massive impact on Skyrim's visuals as they are so frequent in the world.
windu190 wrote: You rock sir! :)
Xtyfe00 wrote: Much respect, any modder who says no to this has earned it.
ramccoid wrote: Thank you all, I appreciate it loads. I like being part of this community and I love the comments of enjoyment of my mods, what price could I place on that.

If I can make your game playing more fun then I'm rewarded enough and it was all completely worth it.
akparkison wrote: Thank you. As someone who loves your mods!
Azradun wrote: You're awesome!

Shoutout to people like you, ramccoid. And you, Elianora.

I don't like the idea of paid mods and I never will. It's nice to find others who will never require a payment. I know I won't. It's... Well, it's an idea I really don't like. The option to donate is nice, but being forced to pay? No. Just... No.

I'm just concerned about how many (more) people will try to steal the work of others just to make a profit on it. This does not feel like a good thing.

The golden age is over, but we are family, no matter what they say.

First off, I would like to thank all the modders whose mods I have enjoyed immensely over the years. Anyone willing to create content for others to enjoy at no expense is the best kind of person and should be gratified in the knowledge that they tether this wonderful community that has never not been overwhelmingly helpful and supportive of everyone at all stages of the modding process. Keep rocking on. I would also like to thank Dark0ne and all the other site moderators and administrators who have cultivated this incredible community that supports each other like a family (albeit a mildly dysfunctional one at times). Keep rocking on. And I would like to thank all the people that have taken time out of their day to reply to threads needing help, to endorse mods and review them, and to donate to the mods that deserve it. You are better than I and I thank you so much for being here.

This introduction to paid mods on the workshop is not the end. The nexus is more than just a database for mods, it is community built on support and respect. It is dialogue between modders and users that the steam workshop does not rival. It is a hub of free creativity and free expression that Valve's oppressive stranglehold over their own mod community will not allow for in the workshop. This is not the end for modding or for the mod community, not while we are still willing to be that community. And the best way to be that community is to show that this way is better, that free modding and free expression will not go quietly into the night, but nor will it resort to name-calling and disrespect. Be the community that modding needs; do not be that guy who calls modders names for their switching to the workshop, instead speak with your wallet and let the market show Valve and Bethesda the error of their ways. It will suck at first, especially if your favorite mods go steam only, but perhaps the greatest brilliance of Steam is that it has kept its market free, and almost entirely in the hands of the consumer. Have some patience and let the market run its course, this is how we can show the value of community in economy.

This is some pretty big news and is going to impact the modding community significantly.

One of the things that came to my mind is what does this mean for a lot of the youtube channels like mxr and vatiwah that review 100's of mods.

Will they still review mods if they have to pay for it?

Or will mod authors start paying youtubers to practically advertise their mod because it will be seen as an investment.

In response to post #24564764. #24564899, #24565059, #24565184, #24565234 are all replies on the same post.

Schmornoff wrote:
Schmornoff wrote: btw getting money for your mods would mean the realy good modders with millions of downloads would be able to "live" of it for some parts which would mean they would have more time for the actual modding and even awsomer mods would come out.
RJ the Shadow wrote: I know of and am grateful that there will always be people like you who will just mod for the spirit of it, and not to further themselves in any material way.

That said, I doubt that (if anything in the past has been any indication) that the cut being taken from these mod 'sales' will be enough for a modmaker to make a living. Maybe the nr.1 and assuming the Paid Workshop thing actually takes off.

I won't divert further into this because doing so might cause a whole debate to appear which might leave a sour aftertaste to what was intended to be a word of thank and praise.
Cheers.
Schmornoff wrote: doubt it too ;) as I said paypal donation would be enough totaly.
And thanks :D
jongbert wrote: Here's a fact: If your going to make your mod paid, you're not going to get 1 million downloads. guarenteed.

not sure if you are trolling but thanks for your great input :D no s#*! genious and reading helps m8 ;)

In response to post #24564394.

Nuvenor wrote:

Actually, pirating mods was a thing way back during the Sims 2 days as well. :)

There even was a site called paysites must be destroyed which was regularly updated, but since offering mods for money was against the game's TOS to begin with, paysites' owners couldn't do anything to take them down.