Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24694209. #24694804 is also a reply to the same post.

EnigManic wrote:
PcPeter wrote: I don't so much mind Valve taking 30%, that is their business model. Bethesda taking 45% though, for authors that effectively extend the life of, and promote their game, that is just pure greed.

PcPeter - I agree with you 100%.

Bethesda releases a game full of bugs and shortcomings, then these wonderful mod authors make content to improve the game and Beth wants 40-45%? They have no shame.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So if you break that peace and attack mod authors here for what they've chosen to do"

replying aggresiveness with aggressiveness then basically, oh totally not hypocrisy at all, lmao.

I'm sorry, but in any case there are only two sides and not a middle way. You either support it or not support it. Ones who support it does not deserve MY respect.

Sorry to cut in here, but I would like to get some input on a list of issues I have to put to Gabe Newell when he returns from his PR holiday to address us again. Without adieu, here they are:

- Exploitation of modders at 25 cents on the dollar
- Prevention of asset piracy
- Prevention of copyright abrogation (modders retain ownership of their work for all time)
- Quality control of paid-for mods
- Compatibility guarantee for paid-for mods
- Return policy which actually refunds your money (not adding it to your steam wallet)
- Confirm or deny that mods (for Skyrim or any other game) may become Steam-exclusive in the future
- Payment scheme (modders must be paid in real money, not Steam credit. Having to sell $400 to make $100 is not acceptable)

I appreciate any thoughts

In response to post #24697259.

FordPerfect wrote:

- Value for money.

In that 99% of the actual new paid mods simply aren't very good, and wouldn't even pass the scrutiny of mod users as a free mod. (not counting all the protest mods, of course, which are about to outnumber the "serious" mods).

Most of those mod authors have put up garbage so they can "use the proceeds to develop it and make it better". That's not how it is intended to work. That's not how you make a "living" out of playing a video game and selling your save files.

In response to post #24697259. #24698299 is also a reply to the same post.

FordPerfect wrote:
phantompally76 wrote: - Value for money.

In that 99% of the actual new paid mods simply aren't very good, and wouldn't even pass the scrutiny of mod users as a free mod. (not counting all the protest mods, of course, which are about to outnumber the "serious" mods).

Most of those mod authors have put up garbage so they can "use the proceeds to develop it and make it better". That's not how it is intended to work. That's not how you make a "living" out of playing a video game and selling your save files.

I think some mod authors could play tough with this and demand some terms and conditions... or no mods! Kind of like a strike.

From what I have read and discussed concerns with others about here is the apparently exploitative and disrespectful conditions and protections that have (or rather haven't) been put in place for Bethesda content creators, which is what these modders will be. Professionals. Would Bethesda want to be seen encouraging the exploitation of its own workers for profit... I think not.

Maybe this has all been considered already, I don't know, but I have (sorta) come to the realisation that... well there is little hope for turning back now. And if that is a case than needs to be considered that its our responsibility as a community to stand by one another on this.

Thank you and everyone for what you do, I'm 30 and this is the only internet community I actually engage with. So I really want to be able to make sure we are not bullied into *pun* Oblivion.

I hope that all didn't sound too cheesy just now.

Love you all,

SNB

Edited by sunshinenbrick

In response to post #24615234. #24615334, #24618949, #24619709, #24621479, #24621814, #24621984, #24665704, #24669039, #24670104, #24680289 are all replies on the same post.

phantompally76 wrote:
freedom613 wrote: Kudos for ya! (You didn't upset me by the way...)
phantompally76 wrote: Sigh.

No sooner had I logged out that I got half a dozen text messages letting me know "SKYUI IS GOING PAYWALL ERMAGERD!!!!" effectively forcing every single one of us to buy into this horsecrap moving forward.

Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable.
Arendella wrote: Excuse me as I vomit GG SkyUI GG
Pops53 wrote: I won't be moving forward and buying ANYTHING. I'll put Skyrim down for the long cold sleep before I do it. Millions for defense, not ONE penny for tribute!

Pops
evildeadhead wrote: We still got Fallout woohoo. So this is what Bethesda has to look forward to in it's first E3 this is gonna be interesting from here on out.
phantompally76 wrote: Moving forward, I won't be purchasing any more Bethesda products. Not even ESVI.

A line has to be drawn.

And there it is.
mercurydustin wrote: i been part of modding for a heck of a long time baulders gate was the first game I ever modded I helped playtest an unofficial expansion, I have always loved the hard work and effort that many have put into the modding community this whole thing has me upset there hasn't been a game released since the end of the 90s that dosent need mods I have been really disappointed with 99.9% of games most are unfunctional or complete waste of money without mods I consoled myself when buying incomplete games that at lest the modders will make this playable, but really that shouldn't have been the awnser we are all to blame for buying games from devolper and publishers that honestly don't give a rats behind if they make something functional or enjoyable, I remember buying games as a kid and them being useable out of he box over 100s of hours long, mods would add to replay not be nessary to function. I agree I think its time to dust of my old gamecube see if the nes is functioning and go back to classics there is plenty of old games I never finished back when making a story and an enjoyable experience was the goal of game makers this everything for profit and no real effort towards art and customer satisfaction is got me pretty upset
Ianc1 wrote: Skyui is the same as 4.1 here on the nexus, only the crafting menu has been changed. no other changes to the mcm menu have been made. got this info from the mod maker on reddit.
phantompally76 wrote: At some point (probably sooner rather than later), mod users will have to pay for the Steam version of SKYUI (remember, the version on nexus is never going to be updated again, and is effectively abandonware) in order to play any new mods created that are dependent upon the LATEST version of SKYUI.

Am I getting through to you at all? Unless mod authors make a conscientious decision to base their mods' compatibility on the current, now-unsupported version of SKYUI on the nexus instead of the maintained and supported version on Steam (which I can almost certainly guarantee they won't make that decision), then every single one of us is going to HAVE to purchase SKYUI on Steam, no matter how we feel about the entire scam. Our freedom of choice in the matter is being taken away from us (aside from piracy, which I don't condone, or abandoning modding altogether), and so many of you are too stubborn to lift your head out of the sand for 10 seconds and open your damned eyes to see it.
Warrior84 wrote: This is one of the best posts I have read concerning this matter, well done. Now looking back it his "prediction" post just one month before all this, it does makes you wonder.

It is a good idea to take a break from all of this, take care.

Well now I'm out for certain. I have no desire to test mods or play Skyrim at all. I've spent more time in the past 4 days arguing with meatbags on the internet than relaxing or having fun. I've said all I can, and I have nothing more to say to self-entitled millennial sociopaths who think uploading altered video game files demands monetary compensation.

Good luck everyone. I hope you find something fun to keep you occupied.

Only the most popular mods of the Nexus has a chance to sell. I mean the mods that let anyone truly delighted. It has good mods in Nexus that the person would pay for them if they were selling. But there would be free and demonstration versions.

Edited by FillipeMattos

i believe the idealism of mods community is make what you want to, and sharing it with others, not as a new kind of job

but then i also think the modders free to charge for their creation, it was their hardwork after all, but only for those great mods, not crappy and lot of buggy one

i only see this "paid-mods" will be a huge step back for mods community, but not dead

"modders will change the way they do things cynically based of making money. The users, should speak with their wallets"

the modders free tho charge, the user free to buy it or not

and when the user not interested to do it, the modders gget no money, they lost the motivation for modding, as their purpose changed from sharing to bussiness

well, you can imaginate it

Edited by sanul17

My "2 cents" (though maybe a bit grim and worst case scenario type) is that all the "paid modding" dose is pit players vs players to end modding of all games. Okay maybe a bit more detail into that is needed...

Before this "paid mod" system was even thought of we stood together as 1 "Modding Community", now we have started to turn on each other because some have chosen to charge for their work on the workshop. Now don't get me wrong, I do not agree with it, but it is and was their choice to do so. But what it (the paid mod system) dose is segregate us (the modding community) into 2 (or more) groups of the previously "United we stand" modding community.

Put simply I ask. What better way to stop people from adding or changing a game you created and put some money in your pocket while doing it?