⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24562744. #24562994 is also a reply to the same post.

galger2013 wrote:
aceventura45 wrote: You haven't seen the recent posts made on the Wet and Cold mod here, at nexus. Everyone is ripping on isoku. There are a lot of people calling him/her nasty things. I'm sorry, internet assholes are everywhere, nexus is sadly no exception.

Uh, no, I'll stand up for the Nexus' users here (or maybe the moderators, not sure), because there's a big difference between saying that you've uninstalled or unendorsed or whatever, versus some of the really extremely virulent language I was reading over on Steam.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24561989. #24562084, #24562164, #24562999 are all replies on the same post.

Garrett666 wrote:
DoggoneDoggy wrote: +1

We can shut this down if SKSE, TES5Edit, USKP, enforces a GPL3 license.
Ghale0n wrote: I hope they do.
Whytesmoke wrote: Nope on USKP.

Arthmoor's already sold out.

Wow, I haven't even thought of that... I wonder if steam, or other mods have, or even SKSE. Anyone have a link to SKSE's forums? However I don't think they have a case, because technically any tool/mod associated with Skyrim is also owned by the license holders, this include SKSE. Edited by aceventura45

In response to post #24562434. #24562634 is also a reply to the same post.

phellen wrote:
FiendishGhoul wrote: Called it, for sure.

I commented on that post, that all one had to do to see the havoc that for-pay modding can wreak, is to look at The Sims franchise and all the nonsense that sprung up there. Accusations and counter-accusations ad nauseum.

Today, I see the same gold-plated wedge driven right into the Skyrim scene.

Thanks Valve, thanks Bethesda.

I commented on that post, that all one had to do to see the havoc that for-pay modding can wreak, is to look at The Sims franchise and all the nonsense that sprung up there. Accusations and counter-accusations ad nauseum.

Today, I see the same gold-plated wedge driven right into the Skyrim scene.

Thanks Valve, thanks Bethesda.

That sort of thing has been going on in the Skyrim modding scene for a while already. (Although it's certainly true that adding money to the mix won't be much of an improvement.)

In response to post #24562744. #24562994, #24563154, #24563259, #24563324 are all replies on the same post.

galger2013 wrote:
aceventura45 wrote: You haven't seen the recent posts made on the Wet and Cold mod here, at nexus. Everyone is ripping on isoku. There are a lot of people calling him/her nasty things. I'm sorry, internet assholes are everywhere, nexus is sadly no exception.
FiendishGhoul wrote: Uh, no, I'll stand up for the Nexus' users here (or maybe the moderators, not sure), because there's a big difference between saying that you've uninstalled or unendorsed or whatever, versus some of the really extremely virulent language I was reading over on Steam.
Lordkabal26 wrote: I'm not gonna rip on him but I don't agree with his decision to lock it behind a paywall. He's not gonna have as many people accessing it if he released it for free here as well. And with less people using it there will be more bugs going undetected.

I for one won't be buying his mods, or ANY mods on the workshop if there isn't a corresponding release here on the Nexus as I don't use workshop mods, I download from here in most cases as I make use of the Nexus categories in Mod Organizer to keep my mods organized
NoDebate wrote: Folks are pissed. The ability to spew what you like is very easy on the internet. That said, the execution may be off base but, the message is clear.

@aceventura

Yeah. I get people being mad, but I saw those comments on W&C and felt disgusted. If those are the sort of entitled and immature people most mod authors have to deal with all the time, then I can understand why they'd want some $ for it.

@FiendishGhoul...I've seen some of the virulent language here on Nexus as well. Certainly not as bad as on Steam, but it's there. Expect to see a lot of ban reports coming in today. Edited by TenderHooligan

I'm thinking about this from the perspective of that it could increase the quality of the mods we have now. I don't think you guys have noticed, but there are a ton of modding projects that have failed due to burnout and lack of resources. Capitalism, with all it's faults, is really skilled when it comes to the entertainment business. We might be able to finally get our Rochebere and great quest mods actually being completed instead of being shelved and forgotten.

Some of these modders like trainwiz and others put a unreal amount of time and effort into thier work. often times the scope and quality of thier mods rival anything bethesda has put out dlc wise. so to you guys thankies for all that you do. I would not blame you if you wanted monitary reward for your hard work. and wish the modders that do much success. But I will not pay for any of it . It is nothing against any of you. I just simply can not afford it. Specially since modding is highly experimental. meaning mods conflict mods don't work sometimes mods break your game. show of hands anyone who has had to reinstall a game because you put two wrong mods together ?*raiseshand* so for this I will not pay for somethng that may or may not work with my game.

My issue is too , the idea is rife for nikel and diming . For every wheels of lul or falkrieth ( mods I think would be deserving of my money ) there will be hundreds of cosmetic mods that add no real value to the game.

In response to post #24562744. #24562994, #24563154, #24563214 are all replies on the same post.

galger2013 wrote:
FiendishGhoul wrote: Uh, no, I'll stand up for the Nexus' users here (or maybe the moderators, not sure), because there's a big difference between saying that you've uninstalled or unendorsed or whatever, versus some of the really extremely virulent language I was reading over on Steam.
TenderHooligan wrote: Yeah. I get people mad, but I saw those comments on W&C and felt disgusted. If those are the sort of entitled and immature people most mod authors have to deal with all the time, then I can understand why they'd want some $ for it.

I'm not gonna rip on him but I don't agree with his decision to lock it behind a paywall. He's not gonna have as many people accessing it if he released it for free here as well. And with less people using it there will be more bugs going undetected.

I for one won't be buying his mods, or ANY mods on the workshop if there isn't a corresponding release here on the Nexus as I don't use workshop mods, I download from here in most cases as I make use of the Nexus categories in Mod Organizer to keep my mods organized

When I created my first mod 8 years ago, I did it for myself first. Then I cleaned it up a bit, and decided to share it so that other people would be able to enjoy it like I did. 50k downloads were more than I expected, and I was happy with that. And when I had enough, I stopped modding entirely. I was not bound by any commercial obligations to customers. And I was also happy about that. And what also made me happy, was that I had learned something from my short modding experience.

Now, paid modding... it's the end of an era when people would mod just for the same motivations as me. Sharing something. The number of downloads will become more important than creating an enjoyable work.

This is something I do not want to support.

My answer to this announcement has been the addition of a signle line in the "Licensing" section of my mods :

"You MAY NOT use any part of this mod for commercial purposes, including (but not limited to) creating a paid mod for the steam workshop."

I'm sorry that we have come to this...

I think this is a disturbing development. While a slight plus might be that this adds an incentive to support modding on more games, I see more negatives...

Should modders now start adding licenses to their mods to guard their creations from (illegal) exploitation of their creations? If so, which licenses are most conductive to the "old" modding environment and block any unauthorized commercial use?

When it was a free/donation-only environment at least it all felt "fair"... Sure, you could take parts of a mod, but so could anyone else (and you generally just asked permission, and usually got it); the end result being a general trend towards (hopefully) better and more complex mods.

What if I release a modders resource and someone decides to use this in a paid-for mod do they now owe me money? What if someone re-uses a part of another mod?

I fear this will fragment the modding community. Looking at some of the prices on the mods currently available I find the whole thing disgusting, frankly.